• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2015 GM HD trucks out in early 14?

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
It's not that gm front end is junk, it's just it has a lot more parts that can fail. You have cv axles, idler arms and pitman arms, torsion bars, a arms and associated bushings. Lift/leveling kits really accelerate the wear of some of these items. I just prefer the solid axle.

Also, right now the Ram has the nicest interior.

I gotta say the Ram has come the furthest in the last 15 years, by far.

I'm not real biased. I had two cummins trucks, had a few gm gas trucks and I'm in an ecoboost now

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
FYI, 2014 Ram 2500s have the coil over rear suspension
2014 Ram 3500s still have the leafs
Both 14s feature the radius arm front suspension (which the 2013 3500s had)

also for ’14 the 2500s have an air suspension only option (don’t think i would do that)
and the ’14 3500 has supplemental air suspension as an option as well

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Coil suspension has some down falls. I had a Lance camper on my 2006 and 2011 Duramax's. It was 3600 lbs dry. That's a big camper with all the gear in it. No problem with either of my GMC's and airbags. But the guys at Lance told me they have issues with the Dodges because they sway so much more with the coil suspension. They have to beef the truck up more for their campers.

I'd never go to a live front end again. Why? My truck rides nice and pulls everything I throw at it. The only application for a live axle is snow plowing. I get that there are more parts to break. You can level them for fairly cheap if you want the front end up more.

I agree with the interior room. One kid and it's tight at times. I think the new GMC's will be a big improvement there.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Yes it is true. They are pulling the same crap they did in 1987 with the 88's and 99 with the new vs classic. If you remember ford did it with there Superduty's also in 1999.

The part that is crap is they have shut down the production of there 3/4 ton trucks anticipating the early release of the 15's. This is leaving no supply for 3.4 ton trucks. We are sitting smack dab in the the middle of farm country with farmers that still have money to burn in December and NO 3/4 ton trucks to sell!!!! Pretty damm smart of GM HUH:crazy: Mean while the Ford dealership in town just took in 45 new superduty's to fill the demand. Just another reason why Ford did not need the bail out money.

What are you talking about. 2014 production has not been shut down. Supply is great.

Ford didn't take a US government bailout. They took a private and most Chinese bailout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B
Mar 16, 2011
Helena MT
hd

I have some almost on the ground. These trucks are pretty awesome. I have a 14 1500 and it works very very well. 9k miles with no major issues...and lots of towing. Almost was thinking of buying the outgoing 2500 because it's going to be less expensive but I just like the new body style and interior to much to go back.

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
Pretty much BNG. Looks like my 2011 will be getting replaced with an F-250. Thin seats are not going to make the legroom even close to the Ford.
Still running the ridiculous square wheel wells which make it a big deal to add any decent size wheel/tire package.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

S

SNWMBL

Feb 14, 2010
AK
Pretty much BNG. Looks like my 2011 will be getting replaced with an F-250. Thin seats are not going to make the legroom even close to the Ford.
Still running the ridiculous square wheel wells which make it a big deal to add any decent size wheel/tire package.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I completely agree on the thin seats. I want a larger cab with Ford type room, not smaller seats to give the appearance of more room. The F-150 and 250/350 cabs are huge inside and although the '14 chevys are a lot better, they still aren't comparable.

However, you are wrong on the wheel well sizing. In pictures they appear to be small, but it's been proven on GMFS that they are in fact larger than the 08-11's. Many of the 2014 1500 owners have been able to fit larger tires or wheels with more offset, with less left (or no lift) than the previous body style.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Have you guys been in the new GM's? To say it is BNG's tells me you don't know how much they changed. I'll probably stick with my 2011 but I think the leg room changed. It feels bigger. The interior changed a lot. The only thing that really stayed the same was the diesel motor/tranny package. Still the best out there IMO.

S

SNWMBL

Feb 14, 2010
AK
I have been inside a '14 1500 crew. While it's roomier than the body style it replaced, it's still not close to the F-150.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
GM has had the square wheel wells forever, not sure why, but they do look quite odd.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I looked at tire/wheel options from GM and you can get something nearly as large (O.D.) as the old 285/75-16 tires for the 2500.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
While I would agree that a solid axle by itself is inherently stronger, they have their issues as well. Track bar bushings and unit bearings being the main two.

There is nothing inherently stronger or better about the current crop of SFA offerings from Dodge or Ford that make them any stronger or better as you get them from the factory than the GM IFS setups.

They offer a better platform to build on should you choose to, but thats it....There are more aftermarket parts available to make them into a really strong axle than there are for the IFS setups. You can totally f*** up a factory Ford or Dodge front end just as easily as a factory GM front end.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
The solid front axel in the ford is way better for severe duty applications. Chain up the front and you will find that out in a hurry. I was a gm guy but I was tired of replacing half shafts after a rough winter here. Boots would break and shafts don't last long. Guys that don't leave the pavement don't have these issues.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
A lot of bad information here

The only things that have changed on the 2015 Silverado/Sierra HDs is new sheet metal/cab and interior.

The frame, suspension and powertrain are identical.

Not saying thats a bad thing as the Duramax/Allison is fantastic. Just stating the facts.

To say the IFS is as strong as the solid front end is just silly. Look at what guys are doing to the Duramaxes that drag race or sled pull. HD CV shafts and front end components.

CV shafts are always a weak link

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
The solid front axel in the ford is way better for severe duty applications. Chain up the front and you will find that out in a hurry. I was a gm guy but I was tired of replacing half shafts after a rough winter here. Boots would break and shafts don't last long. Guys that don't leave the pavement don't have these issues.

Looking at fleet data from a fleet of oilfield service trucks in Utah, I'd disagree, we spent just as much money fixing Ford front ends as GM front ends, just different issues. You can build a SFA to be a lot stronger than a GM IFS unit, but it doesn't come that way from the factory.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
I'm speaking from my business the sfa has cost me less than the gm. I have had dodge also and no front end issues. General maintenance on all of them is expensive but sfa has never left me stuck somewhere in 2 wheel drive when it's -30.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Ford f-150 super crew has 2" more of rear leg room. GMC 1500 has almost 4" more for front leg room. Everywhere else they are almost identical give or take 0.5"

GMC has 2" more front head room as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features