• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cornice cavities

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
This pic is of a cavity my sled started to drop into on the back side of a cornice this weekend. This was a rock face with a flat top that has the typical cornice that blows over it and in some cases grows to touch the lower snow on the hill side. I had just climbed one of those spots in the back ground and was running parallel to the cornice when the track started to drop in. I was carrying enough speed to of got over it fortunately and I thought I was far enough back as you can see grass but I was not. I walked back and took a look and you could fit a couple sleds in this thing. That hole is 10-12' deep and is right on the face of the rock cliff.

Apparently as the wind builds cornices like thes it must get a pocket built in there then once snow gets deep enough it bridges over the top. This is the first time I have seen one let alone nearly lost a sled to one.

I wish I could of got a better pic but didnt want to spend much time walking around that area.

attachment.php

holecave (1).jpg

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I lost a 20 dollar bill in there last week. If you find it, let me know.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Those happen all the time. You should see those in April and May.

Ask Westmont about the one he encountered with a 1000' hole out the bottom.
NASTY

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Similar hazards exist with Crevasses on Glaciers / Ice Fields

The same thing happens across the crevasses on the Glaciers / ice fields here in Alaska and elsewhere. The blowing snow can form a paper thin bridge across the crevasse and when you add a little weight it shatters and down you go. Most of the time they are thicker and can take more weight but at altitude, with constant wind they can be scary thin and extremely dangerous. Every year at least one sled falls victim to these. The local search and rescue have a pretty good track record of repelling down and extracting the rider but they do not recover the sleds. Some of the crevasses can be 1000-1500 feet deep. Although most sleds / riders fall less than 100 feet before getting too narrow and wedging to a stop. Just something to be aware of, it might look good but a experienced local guide is invaluable when considering glacier travel. An acquired skill much like reading a river, knowing how the ice moves and breaks while traveling around corners and over drops and such is crucial to safely navigating the terrain.

Last edited:

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Have seen old mine shafts in the mts that weren't marked more than once also carry 200 feet of climbing rope in my pack now.

Premium Features