• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MPI turbo issues with Viper

Status
Not open for further replies.
J
Nov 11, 2014
First off. My title should read MPI turbo on viper. Issues. It is issue with oil spillage

Hithere. I am looking for a solution. I put a 180MPI turbo on my Viper. When I'm doing donuts in the meadows if I fall off and the sled slightly tips on its side it leaks oil all over the clutching and belts. You can guess what that leads to

Once the oil is on my clutch/ belts it takes pretty much 3 hours to burn off. It squeaks. Squeals. Barely moves at first. This has happened 2 weeks in a row, since I've had the sled basically.

Basically I bought a mountain sled but in reality I can only use it as a trail sled as it can't be on its side. And by on its side, I mean barely on its side, kinda leaning on the powder.

I have talked to Yamaha and they have let me know MPI knows of this issue. Also the rollover valve was not recommended from Yamaha as they have a high failure rate. Yamaha has been very good about it. Thumbs up for that. I'm just trying to get some info to hopefully solve my issue so I can start fully enjoying my sled. Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
Thanks Thamax. Is the rollover valve something that is easy to check or clean before each ride?

John,

On Viper/7000 ROV kits with a quick prime switch, it's really easy to test the valve function.
Just turn the key on with the engine off (tether lanyard plugged in) and push the quick prime switch down. You should be able to see LED flash and you will be able to hear the valve "click" as it closes. If she "clicks" and the LED flashes, then your good to go!

Bill

Last edited:

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
The ROV system can be unplugged at the plug/play connectors that connect to the back of the ignition switch. Then just plug your OEM harness in to the ignition switch (effectively connecting the sled by to stock). The shut off valve is a normally open type of valve and will stay open, allowing you to continue on your ride.

The picture below is of the upper ROV wiring harness. Located in the Green square are the plug/play connectors that plug in to the back of the igntion switch.

assembled upper harness.jpg

J
Nov 27, 2007
oil

A rollover valve wont do you any good when you are carving with the sled. Youre still gonna have oil spillage. Its meant only for when the sled rolls over and you pull the tether to shut the engine off and close the valve so it doesnt empty the tank.

he said it does it when he slips off and the sled is tipped, I assume it doesn't leak the oil while he is doing cookies so a valve should work as long as he pulls the tether.

T
Mar 30, 2010
Mpi Has is testing a solution to the oil leak problem! They are rerouting the breather line back to the motor and tee in a vent I am doing the same and seems to cure the normal riding situaton problems.

S

Shred4Ever

Nov 2, 2013
Yamaha should have went with MCX 190 kit rather than MPI - it's a far superior product IMO... Maybe they will c the light for next release.

sidehil

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Federal Way
I'm stunned with MPI kit , I cant tell you a holes enough about them and can not get thru to the shop, it's good :))) Pro cousin helped with install really likes it to a lot, it's good to have a Polaris dick help with a Yamaha turbo install ::)))) Phone call shortly.))))))))):face-icon-small-win

blown addiction

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Pocatello
MPI Turbo oil leakage

So can we get back on topic?/?

I really like the fit and finish of the turbo kit, that being said I think the oil breather is an issue. What I would like to know is if people are having this same issue stock. If there is an issue stock I wouldn't blame MPI, But I think the way the that the oil breather is run with this kit there is no possible way the oil can get back into the engine. It was the lowest point in the system it can suck it back that far up.

A breather should be the highest point, I like the idea of guys re-routing the overflow line back to the engine that seems like the best idea, if the sled tips side to side it would be unlikely it would run out the breather unless tipped complete upside down then that is where the rollover valve should take effect.

Just from my personal experience, I ran the hell out of it yesterday and had it every way except completely upside down, completely vertical and several times all the way on its side while I lost about a teaspoon of oil when it mixes with the water melting in the belly pan it makes one hell of a mess. I am thinking about either installing a catch can and teeing the breather up a bit higher but I have all the panels off gonna fix it now.

blown addiction

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Pocatello
viper leak

After seeing the guys re-routing to the inspection port I am trying to locate a fitting and I will re-locate the air oil seperator instead of using a catch can setup. so I will post pics as soon as I can get my hands on a fitting

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Any of the four strokes with a dry sump oil system and external tank can spill oil when tipped over. The 1100turbo and M7000 both do it, has nothing to do with the MPI kit. The ROV is the best way to fix it.

Y

yamahajohnson220

Jan 4, 2008
Any of the four strokes with a dry sump oil system and external tank can spill oil when tipped over. The 1100turbo and M7000 both do it, has nothing to do with the MPI kit. The ROV is the best way to fix it.

Wrong and wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features