• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M6000

C

cowkiller

Nov 26, 2007
Eugene Or.
We bought a M6000 last season and frankly it has been a great sled for my wife. The sled has great power and literally sips oil. I want to add a can for weight loss to make it even easier for my wife to ride it.
has anyone done this? I am thinking about trying the HPS from my M8000
but worry(got to worry about something) about the backpressure not being restrictive enough. I don't even know if it will fit the same.
Any help would be appreciated as she loves the sled and would probably like it even better if we lost 16 lbs. off the front end.

031.jpg

mja

Lifetime Membership
May 18, 2011
I've got one from HPS on my 6000. It is the 8 can and it will fit, just have to modify the exit flange a tad bit to fit on the rivets. I talked quite a bit with HPS on this and they said they were having great results with the 8 can on the 6. I have no dyno time to back anything up but it sure didnt seem to lose any power.

C

cowkiller

Nov 26, 2007
Eugene Or.
Thanks for the reply, so the mod to the exit flange was just drilling new holes? How was the sound? same as the 8?
Thanks

Storskogen

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2014
Sweden
How is the 6000 in engine temp when trailriding? My girlfriend is thinking of buying a M6000 but from time to time we ride a lot trail in the spring and the 6000 only have the frontcooler. (The M800 with long cooler has never run hot)
EDIT: The seedish M6000 Snopro has the long cooler

Last edited:
D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Hey guys, don't mean to horn in on your thread but I just read in snowest that the 600 comes on too strong and quick...if it is too much for the magazine writers it may be too much for the girls too! Oh, maybe not.

H
Dec 11, 2008
Hey guys, don't mean to horn in on your thread but I just read in snowest that the 600 comes on too strong and quick...if it is too much for the magazine writers it may be too much for the girls too! Oh, maybe not.

I hope your right about that diggerdown! I'm picking up a 2014 for my wife next week. She's been running 8's since 2007. I SURE HOPE I LIKE IT :face-icon-small-hap

C

cowkiller

Nov 26, 2007
Eugene Or.
we did have one day where they both ( my 800 as well) got hot when I thought they should have been fine. Put scratchers down and they cooled right down. I don't really miss the rear cooler especially now that I understand it a bit more.
The 600 is an awesome motor I hope your wife likes it I know we talked about getting my wife an 800 and she really liked the idea of the 600.
Have not looked back. Great sled!

mja

Lifetime Membership
May 18, 2011
Im not sure why everyone thinks this is a great sled just for the girls. Im 220 suited up and it does everything I want it to do. I think most are to afraid to admit that a 600 would be fine for them, so they get the 800 to help the ego. Ive had 8's and the only time I can see needing that power is on the steep. Everything else I feel the 6 can do just as well as the 8. This of course is my .02 on this and Im trying to keep a M6000 thread going:face-icon-small-win

C

cowkiller

Nov 26, 2007
Eugene Or.
I agree MJA the M6000 does everything I need it to do.
My wife loves it. The sled has made her a better rider and she is using the power to make the sled do what she wants it to do more than she did with her M6. It is better sled for her and I could be very happy riding one all the time. I would have to ride it differently but I am sure I would be having fun. After owning the sled for a season we were pleasantly surprised. It feels like it has the same power as the POO 800 pro (that should get a few responses)
When we bought the M6000 I bought an 800 at the same time. I weigh nearly 100 lbs. more than my wife and her being faster than me would erode my ego (I am not sure she would not be faster) That said it is the perfect sled for the lighter weight rider or a rider who does not expect more from the sled than it can give you. I am considering buying another one as a back up sled.
When I used to race motocross I had the 450 and I bought a four stroke 250 The 250 was lighter and was ideal for most things except when I needed torque to make a longer double or come out of a 180* corner fast. You had to ride the 250 differently and basically have it pined all the time.
I think the 600 vs. 800 situation is very similar. As I get older the 600 seems like great choice.

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
Im not sure why everyone thinks this is a great sled just for the girls. Im 220 suited up and it does everything I want it to do. I think most are to afraid to admit that a 600 would be fine for them, so they get the 800 to help the ego. Ive had 8's and the only time I can see needing that power is on the steep. Everything else I feel the 6 can do just as well as the 8. This of course is my .02 on this and Im trying to keep a M6000 thread going:face-icon-small-win

--600 engines run as strong at low altitude about what an 800 will run at high altitude

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
Nothing wrong with a 600...

Although I haven't had the opportunity to try the M6000, my wife has a 2013 Pro RMK with a Carl's 660 CFI big bore. That sled is an absolute blast to ride, and will hang with my backup 2013 M800 S/P Ltd... depending on elevation. After about 8000' the 660 is noticeably weaker, but between 5 - 7500' it gives up nothing, power delivery is similar to a blender - it loves to rev quickly. Personally, I could ride that 660 all day with no complaints (but she won't let me lol). I suspect the M6000 is a similar ride: nimble and peaky like a 125cc two stroke MX bike.

mja

Lifetime Membership
May 18, 2011
--600 engines run as strong at low altitude about what an 800 will run at high altitude

Yes I understand that. I ride my 600 at high altitude with no problems. And I believe a lot others would be fine also but are caught up in the "more power makes me a better rider". If cat brought back the 1000 motor at 190hp folks would bad talk the 800. Again this is just my .02. Riding the 600 has made me a better rider and im happy with it.

Storskogen

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2014
Sweden
First week riding the M6000: my girlfriend is really happy with it. She has only been riding snowmobiles for 2 years and have no problem with the power. It has a little higher engagement than the 800 i think (clutchkit on mine). It gets up on the snow a lot easier than my -13 M800 Ltd (e-start). I don't know if it's because it's lighter (no e-start) or the new skid? Waiting for the e-start, it's easier to pull than the 800 but still a little to hard for her even when hot (she gets it running but need 3-4 pulls). 300km in 6 days without problem, lots of baccountry exploring at slow speed, thirsty as hell (2,5-3 liters/10km) but i know it's on break-in program. The Renegade e-tec 600 that was with us whole week was 1,5 liter/10km. My M800 3 liter/10km (Speedwerx kit+PC5)

Premium Features