• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need Help - First Time Turbo Tuning!!!!

B

bisonboy02

Apr 4, 2003
Fort McMurray, Canada
I need some help asap with my turboed non-ves 800.
This is my first 53 series turbo set-up and I just took it out today for the first test run and I need some help with the tuning. I never ran a turbo on a 2-stroke before.

I am at approx 1300 ft and the temp was approx -17c or 2f.
My current set up is 520 mains, 50 pilots, 145 starter jets, 9efy02-61 needles in the #3 position, with powerjets. Running 50/50 premium/race fuel.

My first pass it was sputtering really bad, 3-5 psi boost and no power. My fuel pressure at idle was 5psi.
I pulled the plugs and they were soaked in fuel. I didn't have the tools to rejet so I turned in the powerjets a 1/2 turn and retested. It cleaned up the performance a bit. I know I am way too rich so I turned them in all the way and backed them out a 1/4 turn. It is running better but still not good enough, my egts are around 1200f. I think I will drop the mains 4-5 sizes.

Now my boost is around 10psi. I turned in the adjusting screw on the regulator 3-4 turns and even out 3-4 turns and the boost stays right aroung 10psi.
What is the proper way to adjust the boost? Is turning the screw in more or less boost?

And do I have to adjust the fuel regulator or will it compensate the fuel with the boost line at the regulator?

Should I leave the fuel pressure at idle at 5psi, rejet and turn the powerjets out 1 1/2 turns and retry?

Should I go lower than 4-5 sizes on the mains?
Do I have to adjust the powerjets if I increase or decrease the boost?

Right now it seems to only have just as much power as a non turboed 800 motor

Any info and help on this would be great

Last edited:

PGTDragon

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 17, 2009
Lakewood Co.
Given your lower altitude and not knowing what your entire Turbo set up is, it is hard to know where to start. first remember you are pressurizing your bowls with the Turbo so your mains will be smaller than you think. Drop to a 480 main to start that should be too big but start there, and you should have a manual boost controller not adjusting boost via a regulator as 10 lbs will be your min boost on the solenoid or whatever you are running. Maybe someone who has an idea of the system set-up you are running can chime in here as without seeing it I am not sure how you have your turbo set up. But start with jetting down and leave the boost alone but keep at least a 50/50 mix of 110 in it now just to be safe.

Premium Features