• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HELP ME CHOOSE t600cfi or carls 910

C

champyfz450

Jan 13, 2009
Fort McMurray
Im in the process of building an iqr mtn and am kinda stuck on the powerplant that should go in it. my options are a turbo 600CFI4 or a Carls built 910 with twins, looking to be in the 190-210hp range. Im looking for opinions and why you chose that particular setup. Thanks guys

Angermangement890

Lifetime Membership
Mar 17, 2002
Frazee, MN
www.koolmekustoms.com
Riding style is going to be key in making a decision. Are you a hillshooter or boondocker? Tight tree riding with the short climbs I'd go with the 910 and for large chutes and big pulls, turbo, how much boost on the 600?

C

champyfz450

Jan 13, 2009
Fort McMurray
Riding style is going to be key in making a decision. Are you a hillshooter or boondocker? Tight tree riding with the short climbs I'd go with the 910 and for large chutes and big pulls, turbo, how much boost on the 600?

it'd be a race gas kit hoping for atleast 12psi. Im putting on a 155 or 163 if i go turbo and a 144 or 151 if I go 910.

Angermangement890

Lifetime Membership
Mar 17, 2002
Frazee, MN
www.koolmekustoms.com
it'd be a race gas kit hoping for atleast 12psi. Im putting on a 155 or 163 if i go turbo and a 144 or 151 if I go 910.[/QUOTE]

Little confused by the proposed track choices. I would have figured a 150/155 2.5" camo on the 600 turbo as they have less torque than the 910 while retaining the flickable nature of the 600 and better tacking the high track speeds a turbo sled usually generates. I would have thought a 155/156/163 2.5 Camo would be a better fit for the torque/hp of a 910.

C

champyfz450

Jan 13, 2009
Fort McMurray
it'd be a race gas kit hoping for atleast 12psi. Im putting on a 155 or 163 if i go turbo and a 144 or 151 if I go 910.[/QUOTE]

Little confused by the proposed track choices. I would have figured a 150/155 2.5" camo on the 600 turbo as they have less torque than the 910 while retaining the flickable nature of the 600 and better tacking the high track speeds a turbo sled usually generates. I would have thought a 155/156/163 2.5 Camo would be a better fit for the torque/hp of a 910.

I figured the 163/155 would be better for the long pulls with the t600 and the shorter 144/151 would be better for the tight tree ridind that I would be doing with the 910. But since I have a 155 rmk and an IQR with a 600ho that maybe I need something that fits in between both of those lol

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
The 910 IS an impressive engine, but it will be no where near 190 hp at altitude.

The 600 on 13 - 14 lbs should get you into the 210 hp range easily...BUT... That engine will not give you the best bottom end performance... If you are an advanced rider and already very comfortable in the trees in tight situations... you will adapt fast.

Clutching and riding technique will play a big role in the 600 CFi turbo's abilty to boondock well.

Why not the 700Cfi-4 with turbo.

Since you already have a 155 RMK....

I agree with Angermanagement and suggest the 150" Camoplast Ch Ext 2.5" lug x 15 wide with a T-600/700 to round out your stable.... Unless you really want a climber... The 150 will give you great deep snow performance and the mobility to throw the sled around well.

The 3" pitch of the 150" Ch Ext give you the ability to run the new style Avid drivers in a 7 tooth for more tunnel clearance.. the new drivers really do work more smoothly and engage the track better than the previous style.

Just my 2 cents.

attachment.php

C

champyfz450

Jan 13, 2009
Fort McMurray
The 910 IS an impressive engine, but it will be no where near 190 hp at altitude.

The 600 on 13 - 14 lbs should get you into the 210 hp range easily...BUT... That engine will not give you the best bottom end performance... If you are an advanced rider and already very comfortable in the trees in tight situations... you will adapt fast.

Clutching and riding technique will play a big role in the 600 CFi turbo's abilty to boondock well.

Why not the 700Cfi-4 with turbo.

Since you already have a 155 RMK....

I agree with Angermanagement and suggest the 150" Camoplast Ch Ext 2.5" lug x 15 wide with a T-600/700 to round out your stable.... Unless you really want a climber... The 150 will give you great deep snow performance and the mobility to throw the sled around well.

The 3" pitch of the 150" Ch Ext give you the ability to run the new style Avid drivers in a 7 tooth for more tunnel clearance.. the new drivers really do work more smoothly and engage the track better than the previous style.

Just my 2 cents.

attachment.php

oh the 700cfi would be my first choice but there seems to be many more 600's with all the necessary electronics etc for my install and for much better prices.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
I love my 910. But it's a dead motor. Carl's isn't building them any more. They still offer parts and such, but you'll have to find an existing motor.

sled_guy

M

MNIQR

Feb 28, 2006
Autolodge has a 910 with pipes, and engine plate all for a IQR install for sale.

C

champyfz450

Jan 13, 2009
Fort McMurray
The fact that Carls isnt building this motor anymore is what worries me most about pulling the trigger on one. Also, I spoke with auto on the phone about his 910 when he listed it for sale in march, the only problem is that after spending $4000 on that engine and install parts I'd only be $2000 or less away from having the 600 and all the turbo components if I shopped around. Not to mention the fact that the 600t would be a much cleaner install I believe

Angermangement890

Lifetime Membership
Mar 17, 2002
Frazee, MN
www.koolmekustoms.com
The fact that Carls isnt building this motor anymore is what worries me most about pulling the trigger on one. Also, I spoke with auto on the phone about his 910 when he listed it for sale in march, the only problem is that after spending $4000 on that engine and install parts I'd only be $2000 or less away from having the 600 and all the turbo components if I shopped around. Not to mention the fact that the 600t would be a much cleaner install I believe

I think that for a properly done CFI turbo system and the engine you will spend far more than $6,000 ish.

The turbo kit for race gas runs the range of $3500-5000 and that doesn't include the engine, fuel tank, fuel pumps or any of the custom work to fit the turbo kit to the IQR chassis.

Do you know what pipe you would use on the exhaust if you go turbo? I would think you would want a stock 600RR pipe for fitment, although there are differences in the pipes between a Carb HO engine and a CFI engine.

Do you know which route you are going to take on the fuel pump and tank? Using the IQ tank will add a lot more complexity installing the CFI compatiable tank which requires reworking the steering hoop its tough to pull off a clean look on the console area when intergrating the IQ tank. The other option is to mod the Trail Tank offering to install the fuel pump, although that poses a few issues to get it installed and looking clean. I would look at MNIQR's post on HCS to see how he mounted it all, he did a really nice job and maintained a nice clean look.

The 910 would be IMO a easier install, not sure on how good your fab skills are. Finding the Mod steering hoop and post shouldn't be hard and they install easily. Carls will be able to support the engine, Crankshop still has the cylinders and unless you break a rod, the cylinders should be fixable in the event of a failure.

Another option is the Carls 860 based off the carb HO cases. It has the power of a 910 with a single pipe and pump gas while the 910 needs twin pipes and a race gas mix. It also installs like a 600 HO which is to say, way easy.

C

champyfz450

Jan 13, 2009
Fort McMurray
I think that for a properly done CFI turbo system and the engine you will spend far more than $6,000 ish.

The turbo kit for race gas runs the range of $3500-5000 and that doesn't include the engine, fuel tank, fuel pumps or any of the custom work to fit the turbo kit to the IQR chassis.

Do you know what pipe you would use on the exhaust if you go turbo? I would think you would want a stock 600RR pipe for fitment, although there are differences in the pipes between a Carb HO engine and a CFI engine.

Do you know which route you are going to take on the fuel pump and tank? Using the IQ tank will add a lot more complexity installing the CFI compatiable tank which requires reworking the steering hoop its tough to pull off a clean look on the console area when intergrating the IQ tank. The other option is to mod the Trail Tank offering to install the fuel pump, although that poses a few issues to get it installed and looking clean. I would look at MNIQR's post on HCS to see how he mounted it all, he did a really nice job and maintained a nice clean look.

The 910 would be IMO a easier install, not sure on how good your fab skills are. Finding the Mod steering hoop and post shouldn't be hard and they install easily. Carls will be able to support the engine, Crankshop still has the cylinders and unless you break a rod, the cylinders should be fixable in the event of a failure.

Another option is the Carls 860 based off the carb HO cases. It has the power of a 910 with a single pipe and pump gas while the 910 needs twin pipes and a race gas mix. It also installs like a 600 HO which is to say, way easy.
Ive spoken with NPP about the pipe and he said it wont be a problem. As for the pump in the IQR fuel tank, I understand that power addiction has an install kit for that. ED#215 on hcs sent me a bunch of install pics of the 600cfi in the iqr chassis and pics of the pump installed in the tank. The 860 is a great idea though, I could use the 600ho I already have in my other sled and try to find a big block for that sled later down the road. Ugh.........well, atleast I have options.....
EDIT: Checked the price, $4600US 860bb??? NOT GONNA HAPPEN!

Last edited:

Angermangement890

Lifetime Membership
Mar 17, 2002
Frazee, MN
www.koolmekustoms.com
Ive spoken with NPP about the pipe and he said it wont be a problem. As for the pump in the IQR fuel tank, I understand that power addiction has an install kit for that. ED#215 on hcs sent me a bunch of install pics of the 600cfi in the iqr chassis and pics of the pump installed in the tank. The 860 is a great idea though, I could use the 600ho I already have in my other sled and try to find a big block for that sled later down the road. Ugh.........well, atleast I have options.....

Price includes a new crank also. Thats $1500 worth of the kit cost. Look at the thread in the IQ section about the 860 qand some of the guys comments about it vs a pump gas turbo.

I understand NPP can make a pipe, it won't be free though not by a long shot. Same with the Install kit for the CFI pump into an IQR tank, those are all things that knaw away at your 6k budget, and knowing NPP, the pipe will be $600-800 which is quite a bit, does NPP warranty against cracking?

C

champyfz450

Jan 13, 2009
Fort McMurray
Price includes a new crank also. Thats $1500 worth of the kit cost. Look at the thread in the IQ section about the 860 qand some of the guys comments about it vs a pump gas turbo.

I understand NPP can make a pipe, it won't be free though not by a long shot. Same with the Install kit for the CFI pump into an IQR tank, those are all things that knaw away at your 6k budget, and knowing NPP, the pipe will be $600-800 which is quite a bit, does NPP warranty against cracking?

Yeah Neil will fix his pipes if they break in any way. The can on my 600ho cracked and he fixed it, he also ceramic coated it (pipe and can) for free just because the can cracked. And on top of that hes fixed the SLP pipe on my 2010 RMK twice free of charge. Id spend $800 on a pipe from him anyday just to support his business. Im gonna take a look at that 860 thread you mentioned

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
[QUOTE
EDIT: Checked the price, $4600US 860bb??? NOT GONNA HAPPEN![/QUOTE]

why is this? for what i saw you are willing to spend 4-6k on either a 910 or turbo? if you are willing to spend that much on a 910 why not the 860 which is a stronger motor even with the single pipe and without race gas. plus if you feel the need you can go twins with some race. i haven't done one but from what i have read over the last couple of years a turbo is easily going to go over 6k, plus you need to be a pretty competent tuner and willing to stay on top of it. just curious.

pv

hudini

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston area
Okay I want to say that Carls 860 does not run like thier 910. I have been on both and own their 910, it has more bottom pull. The 860 does get out of the hole first, they are close but not the same.

I currently run the 910 in the IQR and suggest going with a 155 or longer (I ride the 166) if you run the 910. I run the mod hoop and stock post. I have a lot of fab work including fabbing the mod hoop on the pipe side to get hood clearance, pipe fabbing to clear hood, bulkhead fabbing, and airbox fabbing and use Brad's plate and carb adaptors. I pull air in through the hood and I believe this is the way to go with the 910 instead of running pods. There is no way you are going to make 200hp at elevation with the 910 as previously stated, but it is a bad a motor. It's a lot of work through.

Your options are a toss up...I rode with a guy that did a 800TCFI in the IQR and there was probably more fab work (he did all of his on his own). I feel that the 910 was better for tight trees etc. but there was no way I could hang on big, long pulls! The trailtank for the IQR has the option for the fuel pump etc, the opening is under the seat on the right side. My buddy has one on his 800 TCFI IQR. It seems like companies are making it easier to install turbos in this chassis, so I guess it comes down to your riding style. If you ride the trees then I would suggest doing something N/A, but if you climb long stuff then go with the turbo.

If I were to build another IQR I would go with Carls N/A 860 single becasue install would be way easier than what I went through and I don't feel that I need a trubo sled for my riding areas.

C

champyfz450

Jan 13, 2009
Fort McMurray
[QUOTE

why is this? for what i saw you are willing to spend 4-6k on either a 910 or turbo? if you are willing to spend that much on a 910 why not the 860 which is a stronger motor even with the single pipe and without race gas. plus if you feel the need you can go twins with some race. i haven't done one but from what i have read over the last couple of years a turbo is easily going to go over 6k, plus you need to be a pretty competent tuner and willing to stay on top of it. just curious.

pv[/QUOTE]

I said that it wouldnt happen for me because if I use the 600ho that I have right now, and put $4600 worth of work into it, Ill still have to buy another engine for my other IQR chassis that I use for riding around here at low elevation. So, in actuality, doing the 860 on my 600ho will cost me the price of the 860 plus whatever I spend on another engine, which could cost $2000 or more. Im willing to spend 6k+ on a turbo setup....not a NA setup.

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
gottcha. that makes sense. nothing seems to be cheap in the sledding world...

good info hudini on the 910 v. 860. if you hadn't said it i was going to mention the ease of installing an 860 v. 910 in an iqr. think i would go with the 860 just for that. plus it should be slightly lighter.

good luck. it should be pretty b.a. regardless of which way you end up going.

pv

C

champyfz450

Jan 13, 2009
Fort McMurray

I plan to use an rmk 144 skid set back to utilize a 150 CE track. Will setting this skid back that far cause any problems for me?
Also, I picked up the 600cfi4 today :)

Last edited:
Premium Features