• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ZR8000RR 137 spring sled

B

BC SnoX

Banned
Oct 15, 2016
Miami FL Sunshine and Ladies
KSo i like 136/137 track leghth race sleds. Right now im on a iqr 136 that i spent alot of money to build right. It seems like the cats are tough sleds. I like to jump and jib and love shorter durable sleds.
My question is how are these new cats holding up? They look super tough cause no cast bulkhead and it based of the snocrosser.
Im thinking of moving to cats from here out cause they seem tougher.
I have always loved low end snocross like power and i had a few rev 440/800 sleds. My plan is to put the 800r mono conversion on my iqr. But after looking at this cat rr 137 it sems like it would be smarter to get a zr8000rr next season and put a 2.25 track and some snocross clutching and gearing to increase low to mid range and limit top speed to around 65mph.
So as of now my plan is to ride my iqr this year as a 600 then sell it and get a new zr8000rr 137 for next season.
Essentially i want a sled like my old rev 440/800, but with a 136 track so i can get around better when it is deeper. I rode a longer sled last year (pro 155) and did not like it. So i was thinking that i would just build snocross sleds into 136 tracks and 800 motor,
but after seeing these new cats it would seem easier to get production sleds that are already 137 tracks with 800 motor as long as they are tough.
So i like to ride jumps and wind lip jibs. I understand that my riding style is very specific and that is why i ride a specific type of sled. I dont need boondocking performance. I need a sled that can take bail after bail when im trying whips and roles on wind lips. My old rev handled it like a beast. I remember that thing failing out of the sky and taking hit after hit and i would just roll it back over and pull and go.
I choose the iqr cause it is tough and easy to flick around.
Thats another question, is the zr8000 super heavy. Would i be better off with a 6000. I got the iqr cause it can be made into a 800 but still feels light and whipable. I don't mind ridding a 600 as long as it has some pop of the line.
I did look at the freeride 137 alot over the last couple years but it does not seem to be as bomber as what i want. Ya its got good components but the chassis is kind of soft. I really need something that i can take a beating for 5 years. I can't afford a new sled every year and need something tough. The pro 155 i was on was ready for the scraper after 2 years, and it had the Vohk brace kit. I ended up selling it for $4500 bucks cause everything was bent/tweaked/cracked.
So i put alot of time on my sleds and really need something that can take hit after hit. Is the ZR8000RR 137 what i should be on?
Also what the deepest lug i can fit on the xf 137. I do not want to relocate skid or anything like that. I like a snocross like set up. I kbow they trench but they tough. So can i go 2.25 or is 2 all i can do

I was considering a snopro m8000 141, but want a sled that can pound woops on the trail. I really enjoy wooped out mountain trails. They are fun to pound out as well as rythm when they are big. Thats something i hated about the 155. I could not ride woops with that sled. It felt like i was just bridgeing the woops. I was never able to find a rythm. It also seems like the m series has a weak steering post.
What are the differences between the full snocross snopro SX and the ZR RR chassis. Is there braces i can add to the RR to make it a SX? I remember guys putting 440 Nuns and braces on production revs and am wondering if i can make a ZR RR as durable as the full snocross SX non production sled.
Also what about the efi. Is it possible to get open mod snocross like power out of a efi system?
Basically what i am asking is, can a production sled be made into a something i will like. Or is modding snocross sleds for the back county the route i should stay on. I was not excited about the sluggish feel of my plolaris efi 800 in my pro. It was boring to me. Half the fun of it for me is the crazy low end power of the snocross set ups. I have ridden a turbo sled and it was cool but i really like short tracks and airing out and trying goofy whips and other nonsense. With a long sled i just cant seem to have as much fun.

I realize that jibing short tracks is not cool anymore but if anyone out there has some input it would be cool to here others ideas on the topic.

Maybe some guys that still ride short sleds in the spring could give me some advice as to what route they are taking these days.

Im also looking for riding buddies in the Denver area that like to jump and jib.

I keep thinking back to the 07 mxz xrs which was supposed to be a race chassis like the 440. But i had buddies who bought them in 07 on similar reasoning to my current reasoning and found out the hard way that they where not race sled tough

Last edited:

Super 8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2012
Cat's 137" and 141" share the same tunnel so they are the same length. The 137" has the slide action rear suspension which transfers weight to the ski's on acceleration, poor for deep snow, great for trail riding. I'm thinking you would be much happier with the 141" but you will have to decide on how you want to ride it.

B

BC SnoX

Banned
Oct 15, 2016
So the snopro 141 comes with floats so i can just stiffen them up with the pump. But what about the steering post. Is there a way to put a SX one piece different angle post on it? Also is there any other reinforcements the sx has that the m doesn't.
I want more ditchbaning performance than powder performance. Would riding a slide action set up but be much worse than my iqr 136 in powder or similar?
It definitely a good point but i think if it didn't actively make things worse by pushing front down front end noticeable id still prefer the rr suspension package.

Also does the slide action kill the cat walk action. It sounds cheesy but cat walks are super fun and i love standing it up. I also use the throttle to get the front end up when ridding wind lips.

So if slide action keeps front end planted it probably not best set up for me and maybe im on the right sled already(iqr 136)

Do they use slide action on the SX. I ask cause sometimes things like that are not designed for taking a beating like snocross. That would be one of those things that would make me want to stay on a race sled platform. I tend to twist skids in the tunnel. I have creased a few of my tunnels where the skid bolt is.

It would be cool to not have to spend a bunch of money on mods if i could make a production sled work for me. I think i have over 3000 into my 136 conversion(did VE tunnel extension and ultra runners as well as U cooler mod)and then gona have to spend another 3000 at indy specialty for the 800r kit+ dynoport pipe

Last edited:
B

BC SnoX

Banned
Oct 15, 2016
I have been doing research all day on the cats. It seems that the zr rr is similar to the zr xc race sled but the zr sx is the snocross version and has much more reinforced chassis. Good news is you can actually buy a 2017 zr 6000 sx from the dealership. They are now efi and available to the public. But then im back at square one with a snocross sled. It is cool that cat has made there snocross sled a production sled. It is not on there regular website but it is on there race team site. Looks like a real nice snocross machine and really tough. Probably a good option for guys who ride the M8000 to have a 2nd spring sled. Aperently the motor has some special porting from speedwerx stock. Should be a cool little 600.
But from what i have learned the zr 8000 rr is not built like the snocrosser. And if you where wanting a spring sled the zr 6000 r sx is the way to go. It already has the snocross set up and a 129x1.75 track. It also comes with a 7 gallon gas tank which is doable. So it is good to go for my application from the show room.

As for my decision, i think im on the right track with my iqr. The zr sx definitely had me intrigued, but it seems alot bulkier and biger than the iqr. I know cory davis whips the snott out of them but im not cory davis and need something easy to throw around. Hopefully my iqr will give me a bunch of trouble free years until there is a good production option.

Stack

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Midwest
ZR 6000 R XC would be far more friendly than the SX I would imagine, depends on what the function is your trying to attain.

-Stack

B

BC SnoX

Banned
Oct 15, 2016
Cat definitely has a tough chassis. I tried calling a couple dealers today about the zr sx snocross sled but they all stoped selling cat. It seems crazy that there sales would be down. They make really nice machines. If i was buying a new sled right now it would be a cat for sure. All the other companies are making innovations while cat is making snowmobiles. Does the average rider really need a 174x3 in 850cc sled.

C

cbc24

Nov 26, 2007
gp
the floats are pretty terrible in my opinion. I ride a 15 153 and last year I worked in partners with Brett Turcotte on a riding clinic. He was running a 141 16 m800 with the rear skid set on the frt most forward hole and the middle rear skid hole. That 141 would go anywhere needed but also bang off stuff hard. The only thing is if you go that M route vs the z8000 route is the steering. the zr has a laydown skiddoo style steering. The m is a straight post. Pending on preference, if your living in the west id got 141 bc you are enabled to access some pretty wicked areas and can keep up the speed to smash some stuff. How ever if your a flat lander id go the 137 as thats more than enough. The 141 can drag tunnel forever too btw.

B

BC SnoX

Banned
Oct 15, 2016
If i had a bunch of money i would go buy a zr 6000 sx and a m 8000 141 and then put the a sx post on the m and any other bracing i could. What other bracing does he use on his 141?

C

cbc24

Nov 26, 2007
gp
Ice age x brace thats it. I went overboard and got the hcr side rail braces and the x brace. I wont ever bend a rail again, either that or go bomber rails. But the m frt end does make it a blast to ride, it encourages you to carve around and ride hard.

fgauvin7

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2012
Hi, BC SnoX

the SX snopro dosent share the same tunnel as the production sled, so it is not possible to use the bracing from the sx to put on an other model.

for the steering post, the SX post is again not the same from the production Zr series. And the Sx post will not clear the injector rail on the throttle body, so for the conversion 600r to 800efi on a sx you need to run the ZR production post.

*Note that there is 3 steering post style, the SX, the mountain (M) and the Zr version. the mountain is vertical, the SX and Zr a very similar in angle and steering position but use a different approach in theme of mechanism.

Just look at your other post on the polaris section, I have left a message there too. I have built a 8000R SX 137 this summer, so if you have any question just send me a PM or ask on one of the post!

14996422_10207987311335897_1244490477_n.jpg

Last edited:
S
Mar 10, 2014
Colorado Springs
I don't jump the sh*t out of my sled (On purpose), I prefer deep pow and trees... but I live in Colorado Springs and I would gladly watch/film/help shovel some hits/and drive you to the hospital.

I'll take all the riding partners I can get. I should have more than enough time to go riding this season.

Shoot me a PM.

B

BC SnoX

Banned
Oct 15, 2016
Your sx is perfect. Did you do tunnel extension? It looks factory. Im gona make the switch to cat. There race sled is awsome. I have been obsessed with the iqr for years thinking all the others where production based. But the tunnel on the SX is bomber. Way tougher than the iqr. And the stock front running board supports the new 2017 comes with are awsome. I cant believe i overlooked cat and missed this sled by a month. Im an impatient idiot. I was waiting for the 17s until i got some insider info that the 600r was basically the same thing as the iqr but with laid back post(I prefer the older more vertical). So i opted to just find a cheap summer deal on a clean 2011+ iqr.

The new sx is awsome im thinking these mods
Im gona do ice age 137 rails with 8in wheel+ 137x2 in track(what deepest lug and best track?)+ VE matching thickness tunnel extension. And possibly a 3 in riser. Im not into huge risers, but the bars look supper tucked which good for snox but i could maybe use an inch+.

I would just keep it a 600 to keep cost down and reliability factory. These new 600 racers are quick little sleds and honestly all i need even at 10,000 ft. I like the stock look and sound so the more things i can keep stock the better. The stock tank is 7 gal as well which i can work with. 7 gal is plenty of fuel for what i do. The boards are already perfect for the bc so all i need is a cheap tunnel extension. I just want to match the tunnel thickness anf make sure it is done correctly. Nothing worse than a nice sled with weak extension.

My other question is about the slide action suspension. Seems awsome for getting power to the ground and getting holeshots with out standing it up. But i want a light front end. I love cat walks and use the throttle to loft my front end when jibbing wind lips. So is there a way to gey rid of the slide action and just make it a rigid skid? That the only thing that is keeping me from listing my iqr. If all new sleds are headed in this moving skid direction i might be still on my iqr in 15 years. I just always seem to destroy skids by twisting them up in the tunnel. And moving parts are no good. I remember i put plates on my 06 mxzz 440 tunnel where the skid bolt comes through. There where the steel plates inside the tunnel and then i cut up a road sign and riveted plates to the outside of the tunnel to make it bomber. Believe it or not on my 04 440 i creased the tunnel in that spot slightly. I road it fine with the crease for awhile but it happen.

So if i can get rid of that slide action, i think the hd tunnel of the SX will be a match made in heaven for me. It seems like it is just a matter of stopping the sliding action with pin or block of some sort.
Fgauvin7 do you ride Colorado at all? I found a couple guys so far to ride with and am pumped but the more the better.
Any Minnesota or other out of state guys, i would love to go show people around my favorite spots. I know where all the secret hits are in Summit and Eagle counties. So if anyone planning a trip out west and wants to have a blast hitting jumps and jibs on shorter sleds let me know.

Last edited:

fgauvin7

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2012
Thanks BC SnoX,

tor the tunnel extension I will run the stock one as it clear the 137 track! (see the pic) I dont think I will have cooling issue...

So yes IceAge made me a custom set of 137 snopro bomber rails and I asked them to modify the rear portion to run 8in idler wheel whitout running any aftermarket offset shaft. I prefer the stock 25mm steel shaft of the snopro that is already bullet proof.

For the track I have the Camso Backcountry X2 on it, it is a 137 x 15 x 2 in track. Brp offer a 2.25inx137 track but it is 16 wide...

Note that if you want to put a 137 on the 2017 snopro you will probably have to change de drivers because the 2015 and newer run 2,52pitch track I think....

for the tank, I have the chance to have the 43L snopro tank from the crosscountry 2013-14, this tank was already on the machine when I bought it.

for the slide action, I dont think it is possible to swap it with an other one but you could try to put a bushing in the slide mecanism to prevent it from sliding too much?

Anyway for me I think the 800 will be able to make the front end feel a bit light even with the slide action...

And finaly, thanks for the offer but I'm from Québec..

let us know what you do!

14963055_10207991884130214_1387707760_n.jpg

B

BC SnoX

Banned
Oct 15, 2016
When my tunnel gets here from VE i will make a decision. If im gona get rid of iqr i want to do it quickly so it still looks new. But if my tunnel is bomber might keep her.

After looking into SX and your advice(thank you so much) i would do these mods.
+1 bar riser
Slide action block of some sort
129x15x2 BC track

Im gona forget the whole 137 track/800 thing. Only reason i did the 136 on the iqr is because it is a 2013 121. If it had started as a 128 id left it be and just do 2 inner wheel kit. And the sx is a 129 and they make a 2in bc track for it so id leave it be.

It all depends how tough my van amburg set up turns out to be. If it not to my liking i will be looking to sell the iqr while it still looks new.

I went with 8in wheel set up on my ice age iqr rails as well. I do not like offset axels eithe. Im hoping they do the same as yours and dont use an offset axel on my rails. I probably should have made sure of that.

Last edited:
B

BC SnoX

Banned
Oct 15, 2016
That 137 track fits under the 129 tunnel perfect. I would have thought that it would be to long. Your picture is good how it shows it compresed. So pretty much if im gona do a track any way i might as well get rails/drivers and do 137. It almost is better cause there is minimal tunnel over hang to get caught up on stuff. It fits perfectly in there with the 8in wheels.
Its cool that speedwerx does a 800 kit and pipe as well for it. They definitely have alot of cool stuff on there site.

Last edited:
B

BC SnoX

Banned
Oct 15, 2016
YuThis the before of my iqr
It is for sale in classified race sled section
I have decided to get a leftover snopro M8000 141 that i found
Mods i have decided to do: oft turcotte stem+ ice age X brace+ ice age rail stiffeners

Any other suggestions? Im trying to stay as stock as possible but want a tough sled?

I decided to go the M 141 route because of what was said about the turcotte sled. It seems like having a mountain front end and skid position is better for what i want. I need a everyday sled and the iqr i have is a spring hard snow sled. I definitely want to be able to play in the trees and have a fun all around machine. I just really want a shorter track and a tough chassis. The M 141 is a sled i can realy have alot of fun on everyday and i think it will be a more playful set up with the M front end

thumb_IMG_6107_1024.jpeg

Last edited:

fgauvin7

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2012
Just tested it last week! This will be a very nice machine once it will be tuned right!

Can't wait to tune it!

15094926_10208046038764046_8545286702407268960_n.jpg 15027964_10208048833473912_2677752285160468810_n.jpg

B

BC SnoX

Banned
Oct 15, 2016
Sweet your sled is looking nice. My runners turned out sick. And my tunnel extension is perfect. I think im back in love with my iqr. I can be indecisive.

Your sled is looking nice though. I like how it is factory looking. Are you gona tune it like a SnoX machines or a trail rig?

I lost the factory look with the mod plastics on mine but im still trying to keep it mod stockish. I will have pictures up later today. They forgot to powder coat my tunnel set up but it ok cause i plan on adding some reinforcements to chassis when i do 800 conversion and then having it powder coated after the welding is done. So it works out better this way.

fgauvin7

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2012
Nice, post us some pics of your build!

Yes I will tunne it more like a snoX but not as agressive to be user friendly

Premium Features