• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sidehilling help from the ladies

allierae

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2012
Sylvan Lake Alberta
I have been struggling with sidehilling from the very beginning, I ride a 700RMK with a 153 track and I can kick the back end out no problem, but for some reason I can't get my sled to lay over. I have tried yanking it and hitting the throttle changing the positioning on the rail but to no luck. I would like to hear how you get your sled to tip, I had a pretty big crash last time out that I think I could have prevented if I could have gotten my sled to tip. Any help and tips is appreciated!! I am going back out this weekend and would love to conquer this one difficulty I have!

dingalingman1

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 23, 2010
Western Nebraska
Hi, I too had trouble sidehilling with my edge. Was wandering if you had the swaybar out, that helps quite alot. also maybe less tension on the front shock springs. I could not tell are the handle bars high enough that you can stand up and ride without bending over? That can change the riding position and effect the way it handles. and also add a two wheel kit on the back, that seems to help the edge be able to set on its side a little better. Hope you didn't get hurt because the sled would not sidehill.:bump: Also can't remember can you adjust the ski width on that sled, maybe too wide?

allierae

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2012
Sylvan Lake Alberta
I do think I need to raise the handle bars that was one thing I wasn't sure of just because it would be only like an inch if I was to raise them, I did change out the front shocks to fox floats going to test that this weekend and I already have two wheel kit. This sled is brand new to me and I have hardly spent any time on it yet so I couldn't tell you if the ski's are adjustable or not, what did you mean by the sway bar out (I am very new to sledding..) Thanks for the info!!
Hi, I too had trouble sidehilling with my edge. Was wandering if you had the swaybar out, that helps quite alot. also maybe less tension on the front shock springs. I could not tell are the handle bars high enough that you can stand up and ride without bending over? That can change the riding position and effect the way it handles. and also add a two wheel kit on the back, that seems to help the edge be able to set on its side a little better. Hope you didn't get hurt because the sled would not sidehill.:bump: Also can't remember can you adjust the ski width on that sled, maybe too wide?

B

broncoformudv

Mar 3, 2011
Anchorage, Alaska
What psi are your front floats set at?

By removing the front swaybar you are able to lean the sled over with less effort since a swaybar is intended to keep the sled level. Swaybars are great for trail riding but do hinder some of us off trail.

dingalingman1

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 23, 2010
Western Nebraska
Also something to remember. If the sled is new to you, It will take you some time to get used to how the sled handles and what to do with your body to make the sled work for you. Glad to see you out sledding!

allierae

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2012
Sylvan Lake Alberta
Thank you!

All great help! I don't think I have my sway bar but will check it out this weekend! Also my sled handles awesome in every other aspect but even last year on a different sled I had difficulty side hilling I also was riding a much larger sled longer track an IQR with a 900 UBR Engine in it that never quite worked properly so I am much happier with the smaller sled and the way it is set up.

Also I haven't checked the psi in the shocks yet I got them on and thats about as far as I got I was gonna adjust on the trail as I have a little travel pump/gauge I could adjust to my riding. Hopefully just having the fox floats will make a difference as the other ones seemed to be a little wore out and set hard.

I will update after this weekend in Revy and let you know how your advice helped! I really appreciate it!

P
Oct 13, 2009
Castlegar, BC
You have to get your skis out of the way to tip it up. When you're skis are pointed ahead, your sled is stable, great for trails. When you steer into the turn you actualy prevent the sled from coming up onto its side.

From a stop, turn your skis away from the side you want to tip it up on (counter-steer), with your weight on the inside, slowly apply the throttle. Keep giving it more gas until the sled tips over. You can use your outside foot to keep your sled from falling all the way over. Practice doing this as slow as you can. The natural reaction is to grab a handful of throttle, but this actually pushes the track flat and forward in a straight line, and you'll end up fighting it to keep it on its side.

Hope this helps :)

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
set the frt shocks up with 55 pd as a good starting point...should be close for a light rider...

G

gasholic

Dec 15, 2007
Idaho
schooled

The vidios "Schooled 1,2 & 3" should help you a lot. Should be able to find them at a dealer.

gas

J

jb33

Mar 3, 2009
Clarkston
If your going to go down hill then side hill out on your left side, then as your going down point the skis to the right and throw your body to left. This will lay it over and keep pressure on the left side, as your side hilling out. Throttle side is always a little more difficult for people. But its just the opposite if your gonna side hill to the right.. Remember always point skis out away from the hill..

allierae

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2012
Sylvan Lake Alberta
thanks for all the good advice everyone! I rode all weekend on my new shocks, major difference.. will work even better when I actually have a back shock (mine blew) I took all your advice and tried everything and the best I came up with was from the youtube video Suva, the counter steering worked great, also having really great powder in Revy to learn in was super helpful too also got to try my full throttle range, made a huge difference

Thanks for all the great advice, hope you all have a great rest of your season!

WileyCoyote

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
spacers

Don't know if it was mentioned above, but make sure you r ski stance is as narrowed up as possible. Spacers to the outside

Premium Features