• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cheap Gear

F
Oct 8, 2013
I'm Starting to get more into deep powder riding and need some better gear. I'm in high school and don't want to spend a ton pf money. Does anyone know of a good brand of gear that i can get for a decent price?

A

arcticmat

Nov 23, 2008
Tea SD
Country Cat

go to Country Cat's website, they have a big clearance section. Name brand stuff other than Cat gear but they do have that to. Seen there display at HayDays and some good looking Drift racing gear cheap.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
You can always go to the local ski and board shop and buy last years boots, pants and jackets for a great price. Even better than buying last year's sled gear. It's designed to keep you dry and warm just as sled gear is. I wore snowboard boots for years because they were cheaper than boots sold by sled companies and they have great support and lightweight.

R

Raff_9001M

Nov 27, 2007
You can always go to the local ski and board shop and buy last years boots, pants and jackets for a great price. Even better than buying last year's sled gear. It's designed to keep you dry and warm just as sled gear is. I wore snowboard boots for years because they were cheaper than boots sold by sled companies and they have great support and lightweight.

Agree. So many more outlets sell ski/board gear - definitely cheaper. Only thing I would worry about is durability. Not sure if it would hold up as well, especially in the trees.

Blown Motor

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2012
I'm Starting to get more into deep powder riding and need some better gear. I'm in high school and don't want to spend a ton pf money. Does anyone know of a good brand of gear that i can get for a decent price?

Cheap or decent price is kind of a relative term. Do you have a budget, and approx what you want that budget to get you?

(Example: $500 and you want that to get you boots, jacket, gloves, pants)

The reason we ask, is 9 times out of 10 when our customers try to be budget friendly and get into cheaper gear all at once, they end up spending the same if not more than they would have buying a quality product. Not saying that there are not great options out there for an affordable price, but we have seen it time and time again when guys buy $100 ski or board pants and end up needing 2-3 pairs in one season. Where as a pair of power sport specific pants at a minimum will have a three year warranty.

We try and suggest that you buy a quality product, and save up over time. You do not necessarily need to buy everything in one lump sum. Spend a little bit of cash here and there as you can afford it, and we think you will be happier in the long run. With that said, there is quite a bit of non-current or discontinued gear on our site as well that you can gander through. It is getting picked through this late in the season, but there may be something just right for you!

shelbwyo

Lifetime Membership
Jun 29, 2010
Sheridan, Wyo
I have used castle gear and that is pretty cheap if you ask me and is durable. I stay warm and dry in their stuff. Imo gloves and boots are not something you should cheap out on.

SnowmobileNetwork

Premium Member
Oct 15, 2013
www.slednetwork.tv
Hey Frankzz5 I am a new sponsor and will be highlighting a Brand of Snowmobile Clothing that is high quality with a modest price .. So hang in there a few more days .. This clothing line will be very popular ..I wear it and use it with no problem..This line was designed by snowmobilers for snowmobilers .. Watch for my forum .. and banner..

Last edited:

dragonflats

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
st. james mn
go to the swap section and watch for looks like new, used items. You can end up with top shelf quality at basement prices.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
For a kid in high school I know the prices must seem crazy, and they are, but that is the nature of this sport. It's not cool unless it costs an arm and a leg! Ebay, and like posted above country cat and ski shops will be your best shot at finding good gear for a smaller budget.

C
Feb 28, 2011
gear

I was in the same boat as you. Second year in college, the sledding fund is getting short. But I went to the mountains once with some cheaper gear, cough castle, and it was about 2 years old. Lets just say this year I went and talked to the boys at Blown Motor at haydays. And Im glad I did. Went a little over budget, but confident that I will have no problems staying warm and dry this winter! Plus this stuff should outlast the sled Im on.. Hopefully.. I figured out that when we drive 13+ hrs to ride, gear is not place to skimp!

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
I have had my Arctiva Comp gear for about 5 years now and no probs at all, each year the Comp number increased like now I beleive there are Comp 6 jackets they are good for active riders along with there bibs or pants, I even have there base layering not the tight ones just a bit more relaxed and it all works great, Got a pair of Cortex gloves and they are great reasonably priced and go up your wrists good and the LH thumb has a small squeegy built in the glove and its awesome for quick wiping of the goggles and have never had it scratch a lenz yet, I have good priced Dragon MDX goggles great goggles, my boots are about 6 years old and don`t think they make them any more but Trukee is a good reasonable priced boot, which is sold in the Arctiva catalog you can get lighter and even more colder weather stuff from them.

Helmet is a Gmax 46x great price light DOT approved and fits me best, probably goin with a Fly helmet this season.

Thats the most affordable stuff I have found, HMK backcountry backpack is great price and really can`t beat that pack.

Just my 02 hope it helps. Wildcard

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
I had a lot of fun riding for a lot of years in cheaper clothing. The more expensive stuff you appreciate after you get it but never felt left out or cold in my cheap gear either.

SnowmobileNetwork

Premium Member
Oct 15, 2013
www.slednetwork.tv
Introducing the Apex Jacket

Introducing Katahdin Extreme Gear
I would not classify it as cheap .I would just say not over priced .Please understand this is a high quality Snowmobile Jacket designed by Snowmobilers in Maine and named after Mt Katahdin. Maine largest mountain.
You can see the full line of Katahdin Extreme Gear at
http://www.awayugopowersports.com/s...=Search&searchKeywords=katahdin&Action=submit

The Apex Jacket from Katahdin Extreme Gear.
The Facts about Apex Jackets

Durable Nylon 420D Dobby Fabric Reinforced shoulders with 840D Hitena Fabric Humax 10K8K Breathable Laminated membrane HollofilII 7oz5oz Insulation 2 Armhole Vent 2 Hand Pocket and 1 Chest Pocket with Waterproof Zippers 1 Key Pocket at left sleeve Napoleon Pocket YKK 8 Front Zipper Optional Liner Connection Zipper Pre Curved and Slightly Forward Arms Hem Adjustable Drawstring Secure Fitting Fleece Collar for Added Comfort with Velcro Closure for a Snug Fit Detachable Hood with Brim
The warranty is one year against mfg defects within that year we will either replace or repair the jacket depending on the issue if it is a Zipper issue more than likely replace but we have a less than 1% defect rate I don’t think you will have any issues
The Apex Snowmobile Jacket has insulation 7oz body and 5oz in the sleeves so will be warm down to -20 (as long as you are not just standing still) Apex Snowmobile Jackets have Humax coating meaning it is coated on the inside of the fabric with a coating that will let the jacket breathe while also keeping it waterproof and windproof on the outside. All seams are taped and sealed for water resistance and also all zippers except for main zipper and vent zippers. Apex Snowmobile Jackets come with a spandex cuff insert with thumb hole and a storm skirt on the inside. My customers love the complete line of Katahdin Extreme Gear and have never had a complaint,

Away U Go Powersports has a 30 day Return Policy.
www.awayugopowersports.com

Away U Go Powersports Catalog

My Sponsor Forum & Banner should be up soon so watch for it
but for now use this link to see pricing and all the colors .

http://www.awayugopowersports.com/s...arch&searchKeywords=apex+jacket&Action=submit

apex_mens_red.jpg kg_apex (1).jpg

Last edited:

Keith517

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Fly Racing has some nice riding gear, I would not call it cheap but it is a good price for a quality product.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
away you go power sports, kudo's to you guys for marketing a less expensive alternative. remember when my family was young and i had to buy 5 of everything! the kids and little woman always got the best i could afford first. figured my reward was just getting to ride! still remember one of my best scores was a pair of yami boots i got at a secondhand store for $20, still have those boots 20 years later...

C
Nov 29, 2008
Swapmeet section / used gear may be a good place to start. Watch for retailers dumping / clearing old stock / off colours / mix & match for a bargain / etc.
Cheap and Quality are rarely found together!

Premium Features