• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Major Problems with new G 4

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
It appears they missed a rivot on my mud flap and it now the flap has popped out. What a crappy sled. At least now I know why I can't sidehill and I'm always stuck. Hopefully Ski Doo issues a recall. I wish I would have bought a Polaris Axys!
??????????????????

14849558431881845945957.jpg 14849558525401793808994.jpg

DDECKER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2013
CRAIG COLORADO
and ......you payed good money for that!
face-icon-small-happy.gif
id demand a new sled!
pound.gif

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
They really are junk. I'm going out right know to see if mine is missing the same rivet, if so I'm sending it down the road.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
It appears they missed a rivot on my mud flap and it now the flap has popped out. What a crappy sled. At least now I know why I can't sidehill and I'm always stuck. Hopefully Ski Doo issues a recall. I wish I would have bought a Polaris Axys!
??????????????????

Man
I feel for ya.
I don't know how you have survived with that this long!:face-icon-small-hap

P
Nov 30, 2015
SE Idaho
The problem isn't what the assembly line guys missed the problem is what the engineers missed.

You think there were engineers involved? The bulkhead doesn't appear so. Maybe the summer intern will get the blame on that one. Just messing with you guys. Trust me, I know my Axys is a ticking time bomb. I really hope they all improve with durability and reliability. We deserve better for the money we spend. BRP builds jet airplanes, so I know they can do better... Polaris I am not so sure about.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
All you need to do is dangle a lure and they bite :face-icon-small-hap

All in all this has been a reasonable smooth release of a totally new sled. Looking back from the release of the Ill fated RMK 900 on other manufacturers have had much more disastrous first year releases with lots less advancement to the sled and sport.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I honestly was just hoping Norona would like my post... Why hasn't anyone posted about a broken bulkhead recently??? There must be too much snow to break one ?

N
Nov 26, 2007
Chinook Pass, Wa
Funny bulk heads don't break when rocks disappear lol... Love the G4 pretty impressive sled

Exactly! Talked to my dealer again yesterday...he said of the 44 summits he's sold two have come back with broken bulkheads...both of them were very high speed impacts with big, hard objects...lol He said they would have broken a pickup truck with the hits they took...so now that we have snow, I think the incidents will dramatically go down.

Tahoe54

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2007
You think there were engineers involved? The bulkhead doesn't appear so. Maybe the summer intern will get the blame on that one. Just messing with you guys. Trust me, I know my Axys is a ticking time bomb. I really hope they all improve with durability and reliability. We deserve better for the money we spend. BRP builds jet airplanes, so I know they can do better... Polaris I am not so sure about.

Bombardier sold off the rec products group some years back.

Exactly! Talked to my dealer again yesterday...he said of the 44 summits he's sold two have come back with broken bulkheads...both of them were very high speed impacts with big, hard objects...lol He said they would have broken a pickup truck with the hits they took...so now that we have snow, I think the incidents will dramatically go down.

Dealer was just calming your nerves.

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
My friend put a rock into his front heat exchanger.....ending the day early. Two days later he broke his brake reservior off....ending the day early. Another day he kept getting stuck because the snow was to deep for his Gen4....didn't end the day early but made it very long and tiring. He also blew a belt after 120km good thing he had an extra $150 belt. He likes hitting trees so we're just waiting for him to brake that strong bulkhead. They are great sleds and super fun to ride. If my wife liked to ride I would probably buy one for her. They're great for beginners and women. I'm looking forward to the release of the 2018. Hopefully, we'll see a factory turbo and stronger bulkhead. Who would buy a factory turbo gen 4? I'm in.

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Funny bulk heads don't break when rocks disappear lol... Love the G4 pretty impressive sled

The funny thing is that only the G4's were the ones with breaking bulk heads.
You didn't read about Polaris Cat or Yamaha haven trouble with there bulkheads.
I keep saying they're all rode on the same mountain in the same snow condition and it seems pretty clear that BRP sleds are the only ones haven this problem.

I really like this sled. I'd like to own one. I just can't buy one till they strengthen the bulkhead or have a failure point in the suspension somewhere. It wouldn't be that hard.
Alt A arms might might be good option for this.

Last edited:

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
My friend put a rock into his front heat exchanger.....ending the day early. Two days later he broke his brake reservior off....ending the day early. Another day he kept getting stuck because the snow was to deep for his Gen4....didn't end the day early but made it very long and tiring. He also blew a belt after 120km good thing he had an extra $150 belt. He likes hitting trees so we're just waiting for him to brake that strong bulkhead. They are great sleds and super fun to ride. If my wife liked to ride I would probably buy one for her. They're great for beginners and women. I'm looking forward to the release of the 2018. Hopefully, we'll see a factory turbo and stronger bulkhead. Who would buy a factory turbo gen 4? I'm in.

Ha, some real good zingers in there! I agree the G4 is a great beginner/intermediate sled, which isn't to say that it can't perform at the highest level. The throttle response is so quick and linear, it makes it the handling much better than past Doos. And, you don't have to use a ton of power to make it do what you want. Much easier for lighter riders to whip around than past Doos.

Do you know how they fixed your buddy's heat exchanger? It's part of the tunnel now, which makes me nervous. I punctured one on an XP and it was a hassle to fix, but at least it was a component part.

Premium Features