• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Western riders, do you take sled trips?

Sxrlar

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
Living here in Wisconsin, me and my buds try to make one 3 day trip every month Dec-April, to the U.P. of Michigan to get our deep snow/boondocking fix. We try to get out west once every other year. It is a 4 hour drive for us to get to the U.P. 14 hours to the snowies, 19 to Tog or Cooke.

My question is this, do you guys out west take sled trips, or do you live close enough to an area where you just head up for a days ride on the weekend, or sneek out for a days ride during the week. If you do plan a trip, how many days is the norm?

J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Elizabeth, CO/Bozeman, MT
We mostly just head up to one of the riding areas for the day. We have about a dozen riding areas within 90 miles, so no real need to travel. We head to Cooke a couple times a year and stay there for the weekend. Maybe one or two week long trips to go somewhere different that we don't see everyday.

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
skylar, we do about the same thing you guys do. the last few years we start off between xmas and new year in togwotee. then once to twice a month to northern ontario. one trip to the steep and deep a year gets me my fix. wished it could be more but, 30 hours to tog, 24 to the snowies, and more the further west we need to go for snow, puts a damper on the sled budget and vacation time.

need to get that time space portal thingy going. :D ski

rockdog2112

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2008
Cheyenne,Wy USA
I'm 85 miles from Albany, Fox Park, or Green Rock in the Snowies but it is fun to ride other places. This year I rode three days at Togwotee and I have been to West Yellowstone a couple of times in the last 5 years but it always seems that I just can't beat the snow conditions in my Snowies.I'm sure glad I live where I do. Biggest problem is !80 being closed the next day after a good snow due to the wind.

Last edited:

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
mostly I ride 25 minutes from my house, but I have friends all over so I make a few trips a year, 3 hours to Clark Co (SLO) and Rabbit Ears, 4 hours to the Snowies, 6 hours to West Yellowstone or Togwotee, I rode in 5 states this year, there close so why not

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
We have great mountain riding in the Cascades about 40 miles from town, usually go up every Saturday from November till May and usually throw in a June ride just for kicks.

Last year we went up to Revelstoke for the first time (10 hrs) and decided to try to make it a yearly thing from then on... made the trip up this year in January and then made another trip to another place in BC a few weeks ago (9 hrs).

Nice just to go to ride another place and what better place to go than Revy:D

D

duchunter

Nov 26, 2007
Lynnwood WA
I live 1 hour away from the mountains ans we ride every chance we can, Dec to end of May, but we make a trip to McCall Id every year for a week!:face-icon-small-hap

zal

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northern Alberta and Northern BC
I live 4 hours away from any good mtn riding. We have done 5 day sledding treks to 3 day with one day riding. All depends where we go. Farthest I have been is 13 hours driving for 3 days riding.

PhantomCat

Phantom Goblin
Lifetime Membership
Mar 8, 2008
NW Montana
We live within 10 mins of our favorite riding area!! :D If we travel it is 20 mins to the south end!! Yeah...kinda spoils you for getting out and seeing the country, but we have some really great riding and there are a ton of areas that you can hit every day and the snow will be differant do to the way the mountains face. Growing up here has made it that much better...I know areas that others don't and can have them to ourselfs for the day!!

So it is hard for us to travle when great riding is so close! I would like to travle in the future, might have to look into it next year if we have a crapy winter again!

Glenn

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
Sxrlar,
Having a great mountain darn near in your backyard is pretty special. I used to do a road trip or two every season just to see some new scenery, but since gas hit $3/gallon I've been riding local. I have just as much and possibly more fun riding local, there's really no need to travel. Here's one of my favorite pictures of my local riding spot.:face-icon-small-hap

april12snowmo.jpg

Last edited:
M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
anyone into pow will tell you the same thing...

Have pow, will travel!!!!

Did it when I was younger and skiied...Do it now with sledding...

I live 5 hours from Revelstoke, 5 Hours from West....And live in a premier location, and can be riding within 20 miunutes of the house...So, we are primarily spoiled, but will always go where the best snow is!!!

SledGimp

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
Heber, UT
I am lucky enough to live within 30 minutes of a dozen trail heads. I mostly just ride one of these many trail heads.

X2, I only live 3 miles from mtnpull and ride close to home most of the time. Sometimes I will drive a few hours but can be in the lot and launching within 20 minutes at 5 different locations or about 35 minutes at another 5 or more.

teeroy

Lifetime Membership
I live 4 hours away from any good mtn riding. We have done 5 day sledding treks to 3 day with one day riding. All depends where we go. Farthest I have been is 13 hours driving for 3 days riding.
I live 15 minutes closer to the mountains than zal, much the same story tho. 3.5 hrs until on the snow in the pine pass, 8 hrs to Valemount/McBride....rode day trips as well as 5 day riding trips. gotta do what you gotta do to get your groove on....hats off to the guys that are driving huge distances to ride.

Premium Features