• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

write your best and worst mod!!! Help people from buying the wrong thing!!

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Best- Boss seat, RKT secondary, Goggle holder, Frogskins on the nose, Left hand throttle, Sno-bunji Cobra, and removal of all metal hood clips.

Worst- not putting on the SLP pipe

Last edited:
S

Schism

Nov 30, 2007
North Dakota
I have an 06. what do you like about that secondary?? I dont mean to sound dumb but what is 10.4" mean??

No dumb questions here. Ok, maybe some are, but yours is not.

10.4" = 10.4 inch diameter

The stock secondary clutch is 10"

AC decided to go with this larger diameter secondary on the later model M series sleds probably due to the lacking bottom end on the M7's. The larger secondary allowed me to essentially gear my sled down without losing the top end. The bottom of the secondary is still the same diameter as the stocker and keeps the final gear ratio the same when the belt is down in the secondary at full shift-out. After doing this mod my sled felt much different....all aspects were better for my style of riding.

A 046 belt instead of the 026 belt is needed when doing this conversion. I also added the shift assist and the AC orange spring at the same time.

If you do a search you should be able to find a few threads on doing this mod.

Hope this helps.
-Schism

C
2007 M8 All my mods are the best. Boss High Rise seat,snow eliminators,2" Powermadd riser(already on when I bought the sled) 2 wheel kit. Going back and forth about a can, don't have the money anyway really and side vents. I'd go with Gill Vents but yeah, they are too expensive. Would eventually like to put a PC on, only hear good things about them but don't have the scratch for that either. Oh well, maybe when my furlough gets lifted. :rolleyes:

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
07 m1k

Best mods (in order)...
RKT torsional secondary conversion
STM exhaust valves
SLP pipeset with BD box
Boss Seat
Telescoping steering post
Challenger Extreme 2.5" track
Float rear skid conversion with Fox Backcountry Upgrade

Worst mods:
PowerClaw Track - had one for 1/2 season, sold it.
Slydog Skis - the stockers are better IMHO

OK stuff (good but not great):
VanAmberg Tunnel - some fabricating required, needs better boards
SLP Powder Pros - very good, not as good as MODS
MODS skis - aluminum bridge will break if you hit anything, but awesome ski in powder.
BDX Diamond Lite Drive with light trackshaft and ceramic rotor - miss reverse, brakes are weaker then stock
Holz A-arms - not made anymore, but should have been narrower stance...
Boyesen Rage Cages - better throttle response, lightweight wallet (but still better then VF3's in my opinion
Skinz sled tarp - can't leave jerrycan on sled and pull tarp over machine.

I
Mar 20, 2008
best on 1m 900 - jaws pipes, cr rider forward steering post
worst- vf3 reeds (they were good until they broke) simmons skis

best on 09 m8 so far - powermadd pivot adaptor w 2" riser wasnt a snopro and didnt want the adjustable too much slop, homade airbox mod only costed me a couple bucks for screen, homemade older cat style snowflap half the price and no more poprivets keeps stock tailight too wont get eaten up in reverse in powder. '10 cat seat like the stowage, gill vents.

worst- none so far learned from past mistakes do alot more research before moding something waste less money and happier in the end.

W
Dec 7, 2007
Victor ID
09 m8 162

Best:

That AC handlebar bag, that thing rocks.
2010 Seat.
Simmons Skis.

I pay attention to threads like this and haven't bought no junk (at least for this sled, my skidoo was a whole other story)

D
Dec 18, 2007
yuba city
mods

best- rkt 7 to 8 bore, secondary torsion kit(rkt), flat out rocks w/ sw 8 pipe and boony box. cpc snow eliminators. 09-10 rear tunnel/bumper conversion
oil injection elim.
worst- homemade tunnel extension, didnt work out the way I thought it would

bgreen776

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Kenai, AK
www.backcountryrebles.com
Best
  • 2010 M8
  • 08 M8
  • Tunnel update
  • Rox risers
  • GPS
  • SLP Pipe kit
  • Skid Plates

Worst
  • BDX black box
  • BDX bumper
  • 08 M1000

I should clarify the worst list. The black box is great... If you don't bash allot of alders and cross a lot of streams with just enough water in them to flood your belly pan, but not enough water to water skip. If you run a full skid plate, you will end up having a warm air intake. BDX makes great products, but I ride hard. Most people would say that I beat the hell out of my sleds. I say I pay allot for sleds and their mods, so I expect allot from my sleds and mods. I am a very large man, and ride aggressively. We cross a lot of rivers that are full of large rocks and boulders that make high speed water skipping impossible, and I have a bad back so I use a snobungie ALOT.

The 08 M1000 is a fine sled, but mine had a weird lean condition that would cause the engine to die in a specific situation, I upgraded the ecu with the 09 re-flash, which cured the die, but it made the engine run horrible. And it ate belts like a fat kid ate twinkies. The track wore out in a year, might as well have installed an Attack 20. A couple grand in mods and a lot of test and tune, it should run great, see sig line.

Last edited:
Best M-Series Mods

WRPs Mountain ASSAULT Seat and Mountain TUFF Running Boards. Boondocker Nitrous, Arctic Cats 150" RMSHA hill climb race skid with Powder Extreme 2.5" track, CPC Racings billet bar riser, SLP Powder Pro skis, and much more.

DSC03841.jpg

Last edited:
C
Nov 15, 2009
Breckenridge, Co
Nice now we are getting somewhere!!!Lets see some more!!

I have forgotten about my best mod that we have put on ever sled before i even ride them. You may have herd of them but i will never ride with out one. The harmon Hijacker. Built by bill harmon in pitkin, CO it is a lightweight aircraft aluminum rod about the length of a 162" tunnel and fits on the side of the tunnel. Wherever i get stuck i can pull it out by my self. Whether i am in a stream or a huge trench i can get it myself!!! PM if have Q's or want one!!! They are AWSOME!!!

Premium Features