• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

First ride on a snowbike ( Mototrax Demo ride )

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
I went on a demo ride out of wanoga snow park out of Bend, OR today....with mototrax.

Oh my wallet is not going to like this!

I own a 2014 KTM 500 EXC..so I picked the 501 Husky with 129" mototrax mountain kit on it... at the end i swapped to a KTM 450 SX I think? not sure

Damnit mototrax now I have to buy one. I really like how the mototrax doesn't clamp to the forks like all the others.

I have been snowmobiling for.. this is season #4 I have 1500 miles under my belt.

2 hours of non stop shreding on the snowbike and I'm not completley wrecked.

Keeping sled, but that snowbike was so fun ( underpowered as hell but still fun )

Last edited:
J
Jan 1, 2015
Bend Oregon
I got to ride one at todays demo as well, rode the 350 first and then the husky 501. Tthere is no way I could go the places I went on a sled without getting severely stuck and worked as I don't have much skill on sleds off a groomed trail but I picked up the snow bike rather quick considering it was my first time riding one. I had already ordered a bike and kit last week, but it sure felt great to actually ride one and confirm I made the right decision to finally get one after nerding out on them for the past three winters. Can't wait to get it in the back of my truck and into the snow!

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
Oh yea I think im going to have to order one tomorrow.

My only question is how am I going to get it into my marlon sled deck I just bought.

It was so natural to ride a snow bike for me, compared to a snowmobile.

Keeping my '14 summit XM but.. wow that snowbike was fun.

N
Mar 21, 2016
NW oregon

My only question is how am I going to get it into my marlon sled deck I just bought.

Figuring out how to get it in the truck is the easy part. The hard part is deciding which kit to buy.

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
Snow bikes are a much quicker learning curve, takes a season or three on sleds compared to an hour or three on a snow bike IMO.

J
Jan 1, 2015
Bend Oregon

Yeah I ordered one last week after seeing two bikes ditch banging down the side of the trail when I was coming back from back country skiing. I have been nerding out on them for a few years but after seeing them in action I decided I had to have one. After finally getting a chance to ride one today my thoughts that they looked fun as hell where confirmed. If/ when you get your kit send me a PM and lets get out and shred these things.

A

AKdragon700

Jan 14, 2008
Fairbanks, AK
Backcountry Skiing

Yeah I ordered one last week after seeing two bikes ditch banging down the side of the trail when I was coming back from back country skiing. I have been nerding out on them for a few years but after seeing them in action I decided I had to have one. After finally getting a chance to ride one today my thoughts that they looked fun as hell where confirmed. If/ when you get your kit send me a PM and lets get out and shred these things.

attachment.php

They are Perfect for Backcountry Skiing!

FullSizeRender.jpg

M

miller tools

Jan 19, 2009
boyden iowa
Moto Trax

Hope you get it on time I ordered mine Three weeks ago they told me two weeks called wed they told me two more weeks.

Brown Dog ADV

Premium Member
Jan 7, 2015
Bend, OR
Looks like you were having fun!

I went on a demo ride out of wanoga snow park out of Bend, OR today....with mototrax.

Oh my wallet is not going to like this!
Sent you a PM.

Just got back from pro-caliber.. I should have a 129" Mountain Kit in 2-3 weeks jeff said.
That didn't take long for you to make the trip to Pro Caliber... Did they have any specials for the demo riders? :face-icon-small-ton

I enjoyed your video... It looked like you were enjoying some of the Frost Bite trail while working that 501 through the tight trees. There is a ton of good riding up there that I think would be a lot easier to access on a bike versus where I'm comfortable (based on my ability) taking my sled. I look forward to seeing some more of your video footage when you get your new sno-bike up and running.

The wife and I got to ride the Moto-Trax demo bikes at 10 Mile on Friday and had a GREAT time shredding the ditches around the Lakes. I got to ride the 350, the two different 450's and the 501 and I loved the grunt of the 501! I'm looking forward to my next ride and I am purposely avoiding Pro Caliber for fear that I might not make it out of there without a couple new kits. However, I've found it's always easier to "justify" the new toys when she's having as much fun on them as I am!:eyebrows:

N
Mar 21, 2016
NW oregon
Hope you get it on time I ordered mine Three weeks ago they told me two weeks called wed they told me two more weeks.

Guys at mototrax: if you are reading this, please stop flat out lying to people who are supporting you. It's not good practice and while it might make sense initially it's a bad idea in the long run. Get organized, get your suppliers inline and tell the truth. You've got a good thing going, don't **** it up.

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
The wife and I got to ride the Moto-Trax demo bikes at 10 Mile on Friday and had a GREAT time shredding the ditches around the Lakes. I got to ride the 350, the two different 450's and the 501 and I loved the grunt of the 501! I'm looking forward to my next ride and I am purposely avoiding Pro Caliber for fear that I might not make it out of there without a couple new kits. However, I've found it's always easier to "justify" the new toys when she's having as much fun on them as I am!:eyebrows:

It was so much fun, and picked it up very fast. Just felt like riding my dirt bike. ( only way more fun and didn't hurt as bad when I crashed lol )

I was pretty amazed that i could stop in the deep stuff in the trees and not get stuck. Also I'm 6'6" and didn't have the fall over problems everyone else was having LOL.

Rode my snowmobile today, always have to think "if i go in those trees am I gonna get pinched off" Where as that snow bike it was like...oh there will be a way through :)

Last edited:
N
Mar 21, 2016
NW oregon
It was so much fun, and picked it up very fast. Just felt like riding my dirt bike. ( only way more fun and didn't hurt as bad when I crashed lol )

I was pretty amazed that i could stop in the deep stuff in the trees and not get stuck. Also I'm 6'6" and didn't have the fall over problems everyone else was having LOL.

Rode my snowmobile today, always have to think "if i go in those trees am I gonna get pinched off" Where as that snow bike it was like...oh there will be a way through :)
Lol yeah I'm 6'5" and my getaway sticks saved me a couple times already!
I know it's probably foolish to think snow is safe to crash on, but that's honestly one of the main reasons I picked up a snowbike. I just want to ride "terrain" and push my limits a little, whereas dirt riding and street riding are excercises in restraint. Then again I don't normally encounter ice otherwise... I've got 4 days on my mototrax so far and it's been fantastic.

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
Lol yeah I'm 6'5" and my getaway sticks saved me a couple times already!
I know it's probably foolish to think snow is safe to crash on, but that's honestly one of the main reasons I picked up a snowbike. I just want to ride "terrain" and push my limits a little, whereas dirt riding and street riding are excercises in restraint. Then again I don't normally encounter ice otherwise... I've got 4 days on my mototrax so far and it's been fantastic.

Lol, we have an unfair advantage then, for cramming our legs onto tiny motorcycles for years. Comes in handy now.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
attachment.php

They are Perfect for Backcountry Skiing!

Do you ride in your at boots? Never liked it on sleds, but seems like it could work on a bike. For access, not really pushing it. Shifts must be a little different.

M
Jan 14, 2004
Do you ride in your at boots? Never liked it on sleds, but seems like it could work on a bike. For access, not really pushing it. Shifts must be a little different.

That was my question as well, I'm thinking its access, change boots then skins time.

M5

Premium Features