• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lets talk ktm 300 xc

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
Im doing the same thing,,,300 that is,,, dont think I need a LT though, rode my 570 berg all season with a ST and never felt I needed a LT and thinking the 300 will be way lighter,so keeping a ST under her,we shall see as I will have both at the same time

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
Somewhere I seen a post by mountain doo" I believe " , that he rode a 300, would like to know how it stacked up to the big kx500????.

Not even close... those two bikes are pretty far apart as far as power is concerned. However, the 300 did feel pretty good and was very nimble in the woods. The 300 would be a good bike for a small 150lb dude, but expect to be WOT keeping up with the 450 thumpers and the 500 2 stroke boys on powder days. There have been posts by other 300 owners that the bike is pretty solid but lacks in the power department somewhat.

Now when it comes time to convert I don't think you can find a better woods bike than the KTM 300. I would love to own one.

R

relentless rider

Jan 25, 2009
in the mountians western mt
Yep. I way in at 160. The bike is by far the best bike I've ever owned. And I've had 450s ktm 505 and lots more! So far for mods on the 300. 250 sx cdi, slavens racing head,gnarly pipe , and waiting on apt smart carb.my bother in-law just got the 500 xcw and on dirt the 300 walks all over it for bottom to top end. But bikes are hard to compare .

Last edited:

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
the little two stroke

thinking the same thing, so I'm putting together a 250 yam, got the 450wr for backup. seems the 4 stroke sno bikes have same issue as 4 stroke sleds, they trench 1st cause they pick revs slow........they be diggers.

looking for something that wants to jump up on top of the snow. two of us going big 4 stroke to small wooped two stroke, yam and KTM. Never could find any real feed back on the issue so we're going to find out first hand.

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
Yes I already did the SX head and a FMF pipe and sx cdi it sure woke it up! I think it wont be a 500 but it will be at least an equal for a 450, I belive dirt rider tested one at over 53 hp which is about what most 4 strokes make, just a different kind of power! I tried once to ride a yamaha nitro135 hp and my polaris pro at 143 hp !! I think I will keep the polaris! A two stroke is designed and built to run at 7-8K rpm all day long, they are tuned for that RPM the oiling system is calibrated for those RPM, it comes on the pipe at those RPM's I dont think it will do it any more harm running at the upper RPM's than it will in the dirt, I used to race my 250 on the pipe every weekend and rebuild once a season,, nature of the beast!I dont understand why everyone is so afraid to run a 2 stroke on the pipe? Four stroke has a red line to keep the valves from hitting a piston a two stroke is limited by the pipe its tuned around! The KTM also has an adjustable power valve so you can change the way it comes on the pipe,make it peaky like a MX engine or tractor like a 4 stroke!! I bet I could change rings and a piston in an hour in the trailer! Not on my BERG! I think I will just turn up the volume on my I pod and just feel the power the the 300 hunny has and just keep smilling! When I first spoke with Alen about the TS A few years ago some of the guys were running a 300! We were talking abput HP in relation to a sled,, and I realized then that bikes were not about HP but about riding finess, so when I go up in the trees I will zig zag one more time than the big bore 4 stk,,, mabe!!

Last edited:

Wyorever

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW, WY
Yep. I way in at 160. The bike is by far the best bike I've ever owned. And I've had 450s ktm 505 and lots more! So far for mods on the 300. 250 sx cdi, slavens racing head,gnarly pipe , and waiting on apt smart carb.my bother in-law just got the 500 xcw and on dirt the 300 walks all over it for bottom to top end. But bikes are hard to compare .

You're going to love that APT Smartcarb on your bike, it will be a whole new bike.

What year 300? I rode an 08 for a couple seasons.

Play with the power valve as well, I think I ended up with the red spring in there, made a big difference!

R

relentless rider

Jan 25, 2009
You're going to love that APT Smartcarb on your bike, it will be a whole new bike.

What year 300? I rode an 08 for a couple seasons.

Play with the power valve as well, I think I ended up with the red spring in there, made a big difference!

Its a 2013 300 xc..ya I thank the Carb will be awesome, I've tried all three power value springs end up running the red spring turned flush with the case on adjustment screw.so it comes on the pipe right away!

T

thejean

Jan 17, 2013
I have the 300. Love it in the snow with an ST. Search my username for a more thorough review in another thread. I do an to put a smartcarb and Rekluse on for this coming winter though. Can't wait!!

J
Feb 28, 2009
300 xc

I started this year on a 2007 300 xc. Was great in woods and tight stuff but if you got out in open stuff in deep pow it bogged down huge and you had to shift gears quickly and rev the piss out of it to keep going. My buddy has a 2012 kx450 and it rode circles around me. It tractored much better through deep snow and in the trees you could not feel any more weight than the 300. Midway through the year I bought a 2008 ktm 505 xcf and couldn't be happier. I changed the rear sprocket out to a 16 and I have all the low and high end I need and cannot tell at all it is heavier in the trees. I don't know if the newer 300's have more power than the older ones but I think it's more of a torque issue the 300 just doesn't have the torque like a four stroke to spin that track without shifting gears constantly and bogging down in the deep stuff.

K
Jan 30, 2013
Last season was a first for me on the snow bike so my experience is limited. I had my 300 xc 2011 setup on a st timbersled. I thought it was great! But once again my experience was extremely limited and my other setup I was comparing it against was a 250f xcfw 2011. It was gutless with my 2moto kit on it. My only concern with the 300 was on the big powder days I felt like I was revving the bike way more than I like to. It's going back on the timbersled this year! The 250f on the other hand is getting swapped for a 525. Good luck

R

relentless rider

Jan 25, 2009
I started this year on a 2007 300 xc. Was great in woods and tight stuff but if you got out in open stuff in deep pow it bogged down huge and you had to shift gears quickly and rev the piss out of it to keep going. My buddy has a 2012 kx450 and it rode circles around me. It tractored much better through deep snow and in the trees you could not feel any more weight than the 300. Midway through the year I bought a 2008 ktm 505 xcf and couldn't be happier. I changed the rear sprocket out to a 16 and I have all the low and high end I need and cannot tell at all it is heavier in the trees. I don't know if the newer 300's have more power than the older ones but I think it's more of a torque issue the 300 just doesn't have the torque like a four stroke to spin that track without shifting gears constantly and bogging down in the deep stuff.

How big of a guy are you ? Im about 175 maybe with all gear on. Will see I guess, if its not working ill install on a 500.

D
Aug 29, 2010
Vancouver, BC
was this a stock 07 300XC? different head and ignition makes it a whole new beast

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
I have a friend with a 2006 YZ250, two stroke. It totally rips. We did a marathon ride through big country and he climbed through a steep chute in one pull. It took me two tries with a 2011 KX450F. The 300XC, NOT the XCW, has an aggressive ignition and different porting. Race set up, not enduro. A big factor in "bogging down" is the wide ratio trans. We see this also with the big bore 4 strokes. You try to grab the next gear and in "some conditions" will bog and not pull it. You find yourself down shifting, revving to the moon, then trying for the higher gear again. The close ratio trans allows you to stay in the "sweet spot" of the engine and transition to the next higher gear. That is even more important with a 2 stroke. The "sweet spot" being higher. I think that is why the 250, 2 stroke MX bikes work well. Very close ratio trans. The 04/06 RM 250's where real hot rods, even a splash of race gas recommended. The 01 CR 250, the 06/ to present YZ250, and the current SX 250 are hot rods. The current SX produces 4 more HP than the YZ. Brad at Powersports Tech is a great resource on this for anyone interested. User name, PST

I think the ultimate is the 300XC with the 250SX ignition box, then a basic MX porting job. It produces HP in the 50's. Equal to the 450F bikes. A 2 stroke produces more torque than a 4 stroke. It is a well misunderstood fact. The "bang" of the power stroke is on EVERY stroke, not every OTHER. A real good example to read on this is the Evenrude e-tech testing against the 4 strokes of equal power. The 2 stroke produces so much more torque it would pull an equal hp 4 stroke backwards in a tug-of-war. They can run wide open under a full load for days. Crazy.... Don't be afraid to make it "sing", they love it there. The 4 stroke can putt and tractor around super smooth and easy. That is what makes them so easy and smooth to ride. Super nice. On the 2 stroke you need to ride it aggressive, the old 2 stroke moto style. Some other benefits are ease of set up. Fill it with gas and go! No programmers, tuners, oil changes, etc. Very simple and economical. If you have one, don't hold back! You will have a blast.

Check this out! Very cool.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUDx9M1jhA8

Last edited:
Premium Features