• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

write your best and worst mod!!! Help people from buying the wrong thing!!

bgreen776

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Kenai, AK
www.backcountryrebles.com
Nice now we are getting somewhere!!!Lets see some more!!

I have forgotten about my best mod that we have put on ever sled before i even ride them. You may have herd of them but i will never ride with out one. The harmon Hijacker. Built by bill harmon in pitkin, CO it is a lightweight aircraft aluminum rod about the length of a 162" tunnel and fits on the side of the tunnel. Wherever i get stuck i can pull it out by my self. Whether i am in a stream or a huge trench i can get it myself!!! PM if have Q's or want one!!! They are AWSOME!!!

http://www.highliftjack.com/

F7arcticcat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
07M8
Best:
Porting with SLP pipe---I wish I didn't wait so long to do the porting.
Boss Seat
Fastlane nosnows
BDX tunnel kit
Diamond S hood with intake

No so great:
BDX black box--the weight loss was nice, but fine snow still seemed to make its way around the box. I think the 8 runs better with the stock air box.

B
Nov 26, 2007
05 m7

Best:

800 speedwerx BB, with y, pipe, v-force and boondocker works great rips hard
two wheel
sno eliminators (saved me from falling off numerous times rom ice buildup)
frogskins
koso guages
Orange M8 spring with a 44/40 helix
crossfire front end with floats

worst:
mbrp can
straightened Attack 20
kept the stock rear skid instead of taking a sweet deal on a float skid because of x-mas bills

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
07 m8

Best:

Cold air intake mod
P claw track !!!!!
08 cat float rear suspension
boss seat
55/65 gearing
05 helix end cap shift assist
Fire cat bars and 6" adjustable riser
D & D Shim kit
mild port work
side vents
did myslef bumper tunnel mod
Scratchers........broke about 5 or 6 sets
New throttle cable.........they cook
Knocked of 20 lbs.........comes and goes

OK:

the cut out running boards
CNC 6" riser non adjustable
fuel pressure adjustment
cat heat deflector kit
removed most of decals

Don't Bother:

Reeds
Valve spacers
Boonie box
two cans....one that fell apart
Y pipes......tried two
fox floats in the front
$150 hyfax
challenger track

B
Dec 17, 2007
Houston Texas
2006 M7

Best:
RKT 800 big bore, with SLP Pipes (need BD box, which works, but not exactly easy)
RKT secondary fix
sno eliminators
timbersled rear suspension (but need stiffer valving if over 200 lbs)

Worst:
BDX bumper - looks cool but not worth screwing up tunnel strength
Vforce Reeds - complete waste of money and time
Timing advance key - 100% chance of detonation
Jaws twin pipes - loud and not perform as well as SLP twins

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I really haven't ridden mine enough this season (the snow sucks) to report as accurately as I'd like to but so far.

Best:

GSR Fox Float update - best $100 you can spend
Cat heavy duty full coverage skid plate - saves your clutches from impact
Mountain Addiction Gas Rack - another great $100 item
AMP Gage Cage - $100 work of art
Amp 2" Bar riser for adjsutable bars
BDX adjustable bar re-enforcement kit
Cat Handlebar bag
Cat glove/goggle warmer
Expanding foam in handlebars

Worst:

Sno Pro ski mod and Powder Pros - the sled dives into corners and about throws me. I need more seat time but so far I'm not impressed one bit.

AMP billet brake handle - it's too short

Not a mod but, the cable mounts for the hood restraint cables that crack from just opening the hood!

Again, not a mod but, the adjustable steering post that leans to the left and is lose as a goose right out of the crate.

Sorry, not a mod but, Diamond drive mount screws that don't thread into any type of nutsert. They strip out after one of two times threading back into the same piece of aluminum.

The jury is still out on:

V Force reeds
Power Commander
Powder Pros
Cable type ice scratchers
Muffpot staying tight
Frogskins actually staying stuck to the hood in mid hood position

SnowXTC

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Montana
Thus far:

Best
Simmons Skis
Tweeking the suspension (130 rear, 55 front, 5/8 inch up on the front rear)
Considering dumping the front floats and going for zero pros with springs.

Worst
Nothing really (did not need the goggle bag)
Need to loose the handlebar bag
More tweeking of this suspension so I do not need to call her the B trying to steer
Woody's Dual (Offset) Runners

Coming Soon
SLP can
Mtn Fit hood with all the venting and shelf
Need another Muff Pot (yum yum)

R
Dec 9, 2007
This is a fun and useful thread.

Best:
MPM/RKT 800 big bore
Speedwerx single pipe
Snow Eliminators
Fastlane 4" rise cro mo steering post
Powder Pro skis

No so hot:
All vent-less CARB-approved gas cans - I've tried several and they ALL leak like crazy and soak down the contents of my cargo trunk (tools, gear, etc.) so that everything smells like gas! These things suck, can't we bring back a simple gas can with screw-down vents?!
2" riser (too short)
4" Ole's angled riser (good quality and nice design but the stock steering post bent = couldn't handle extra leverage)

rusty rider

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
Middle of the West
06 m7 153

best: rkt secondary, bd box, hood vents, custom running board mods to clear snow.

Worst: BDX box, the 7 lay down motor runs like sh-t with this box, keep intake stock.

D

Dano702

Dec 15, 2007
Sin City
07 M8 162

Best Mods :

Power Claw
BDX Diamond Drive Lite
Garrett 2871
Boss seat

Worst Mods :

Riding it without boost
Buying a pump gas accuator

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
It fits like absolute chit on crossfires which it is advertised to fit on. Its much worse than just the sides of the tank sticking out a hair like the 2010 cat seat or the old boss seat which was fine. There is more of the sides sticking out and a gap all the way around the front of the seat. With the plastic plate in front it wiggles a lot more also. On my first ride one of the zipper pulls broke off an H2O pouch and the ring that sticks off of the zipper mechanism that the zipper pulls hooks too broke off flush so the zipper has to be replaced. The bottom of the sides of the seat also create horrible snow build up along with all the creases, pockets, and zippers on the back pouch. I love the way the seat feels when riding, like the looks, the weight savings, storage, height, and firmness of the foam, but man it is chitty quality from what i have seen so far. THIS IS THE -----2010------ BOSS SEAT! OTHER YEARS ARE FINE.
*UPDATE*
The first time i talked to boss they said they would fix my zippers that broke off at the end of the season which wouldnt do much good bcuz they would just break again....I talked to them again and they are offering an updated 2011 seat cover for only $50 with all new ykk waterproof zippers. I am VERY happy with the customer service i have received from BOSS. I am very happy they are handling this issue so well. I would not hesitate to purchase another seat from them. BTW they are also going to give me a $100 gift certificate towards a new boss noss setup or another boss seat!

M
Dec 15, 2009
Best Mod:
RK tek secondary cluch
GEO suspension mod - free and is an amazing improvement over the stock set up on the float skid

worst:
BDX black box - filter isn't water resistant enough. 3 rides then a new pto cylander was needed

Premium Features