• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Team Tied Facts

W

waxer

Nov 2, 2012
20 years loving Poo

I'm looking for the facts on this clutch, is it the real deal? I ride a 2012 Pro RMK
and have been thinking of one.

I have one on my 600 RMK and it is smoother,holds the rpm better(climbs better) and is better on steep downhills. But I lost the fun factor on the bottom it just wasn't near as snappy. That being said it could just be the helix, little too steep. They probably have the 800 dialed a lot better so I plan on trying it on my new 14 800 and going back to the stock team secondary on the 600. Not sure if this is any help but if I didn't already have it I wouldn't spend the money for the tied.:face-icon-small-hap

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I expect that in the next couple years the Tied will be the standard secondary for Polaris. Many places no longer sell the TSS-004 including SLP.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Any ideas as to why Polaris hasnt made this standard issue? Its been out for several years and seems durable. Weight?

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Any ideas as to why Polaris hasnt made this standard issue? Its been out for several years and seems durable. Weight?

I'm guessing it has to be cost. I thought it would have been nice to add that to the Pro model or at least the LE model.

Angermangement890

Lifetime Membership
Mar 17, 2002
Frazee, MN
www.koolmekustoms.com
I have one on my 600 RMK and it is smoother,holds the rpm better(climbs better) and is better on steep downhills. But I lost the fun factor on the bottom it just wasn't near as snappy. That being said it could just be the helix, little too steep. They probably have the 800 dialed a lot better so I plan on trying it on my new 14 800 and going back to the stock team secondary on the 600. Not sure if this is any help but if I didn't already have it I wouldn't spend the money for the tied.:face-icon-small-hap

I was in a similar boat, as I got a tied on a parts deal, ordered the recommended helix from TEAM and followed their set up and was under impressed. The recommended set up failed to improve upon the 04 set up I was using other than backshift and more constant RPM.

I set it on the shelf until one I was talking with IndyDan about clutch setups for a project sled. The discussion turned to the Tied and I told him I was not impressed with the performance of the clutch other than imprved backshift and what seemed to be more consistent RPM. We talked about the clutch and he said he was confident he could make it work far better than the intial Team set up. He had me send my clutch in and he did lord only knows what to it and replaced the Team helix with one of his custom cut units.

It is hands down the best money I have ever spent on clutching. The new helix made the Tied night and day better. Its way faster off the bottom end and it HAS top end. I havent been able to say that about Team clutches, ever. Belt temps are good and the thing is rock solid on RPM during climbs I dont think it changed more than 50 RPM from top to bottom.

If anyone has a Tied and is not impressed with the set up I would recommend contacting Dan and you can get some of the pixie dust he is sprinkling on these things... it flat out works. I now have 5 of them and LOVE them.

tinkerjohnson

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2008
Southern utah
I was in a similar boat, as I got a tied on a parts deal, ordered the recommended helix from TEAM and followed their set up and was under impressed. The recommended set up failed to improve upon the 04 set up I was using other than backshift and more constant RPM.

I set it on the shelf until one I was talking with IndyDan about clutch setups for a project sled. The discussion turned to the Tied and I told him I was not impressed with the performance of the clutch other than imprved backshift and what seemed to be more consistent RPM. We talked about the clutch and he said he was confident he could make it work far better than the intial Team set up. He had me send my clutch in and he did lord only knows what to it and replaced the Team helix with one of his custom cut units.

It is hands down the best money I have ever spent on clutching. The new helix made the Tied night and day better. Its way faster off the bottom end and it HAS top end. I havent been able to say that about Team clutches, ever. Belt temps are good and the thing is rock solid on RPM during climbs I dont think it changed more than 50 RPM from top to bottom.

If anyone has a Tied and is not impressed with the set up I would recommend contacting Dan and you can get some of the pixie dust he is sprinkling on these things... it flat out works. I now have 5 of them and LOVE them.

I have delt with Dan quite a bit over the years he is out in Minnesota, I have a tied also but not really seeing much benifit over the stock clutch so does he just do short track low elevation setups or does he have long track hi altitude setups as well?

Angermangement890

Lifetime Membership
Mar 17, 2002
Frazee, MN
www.koolmekustoms.com
I have delt with Dan quite a bit over the years he is out in Minnesota, I have a tied also but not really seeing much benifit over the stock clutch so does he just do short track low elevation setups or does he have long track hi altitude setups as well?

4 of my sleds are Mtn sleds, Dan does set ups for both western and flat land. I will be trying his tied set up on the rush i just picked up as well.

For those considering a tied, check out dans clutch package. $700 gets you a complete tied set up (tied, balancing, spring, helix) primary balanced/serviced with slim shift washers and weights/spring for your application.

Last edited:

Kcjepperson

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2012
Wallsburg, UT
I sold all of my tied stuff at the end of last year. I also wasn't impressed with the tied. I had tried many different springs and Helixs and could not find a happy medium with up****ing and back shifting it seemed like you just one or the other.

R
Dec 8, 2010
I have spent quite a bit of time testing different setups on the tied. It does seem to hold rpm's better without falling off. I too started with the tied setup for 6k to 8k in elevation and improved on it quite a bit, but I have since moved away from it because it is definitely harder on belts. I have come to the conclusion that by keeping the rpm's up it seems to create more belt heat and more wear.

O

ottawaair

Mar 2, 2012
I bought a $700 kit from Dan. Its on the shelf.

Just wasn't impressed. Plus it created a LOT of belt dust.

I was actually rather upset that his magic kit was so off the mark.

Didn't feel any better than stock, and lost 8 mph on top.

I would be willing to sell it if somebody wants to take the time to dial it in.

W

waxer

Nov 2, 2012
I have spent quite a bit of time testing different setups on the tied. It does seem to hold rpm's better without falling off. I too started with the tied setup for 6k to 8k in elevation and improved on it quite a bit, but I have since moved away from it because it is definitely harder on belts. I have come to the conclusion that by keeping the rpm's up it seems to create more belt heat and more wear.

I changed over to the Tied early spring and thought i was also getting more belt heat but since the conditions were different I'm not totally sure but lean to it being hotter with the tied.
I called Carl's about a clutch set up for my new 800 and told them since i have a Tied I could go with either clutch. The tech, who I hope chimes in here, said they haven't had the good of luck with the tied and he would stick with the stock secondary.I think that's what I'm going to start with. :face-icon-small-hap

xmk1080

Lifetime Membership
Sep 23, 2008
I also went with a complete clutch kit that was just a starting point, it was way off, it upshifted to fast. I ended up going down 2 degrees on initial angle and 4 degrees on second angle to slow my shift down, I also ran a slp washer/spacer behind the snap ring and two delron washers, one on each end of the spring. I had a '11 pro and the stock set up would not hold rpm's, but after I got the right helix in my tied.... I couldn't be happier. I has amazing back shifts and the power is always there when I'm on and off the throttle. Belt temps are extremely cool, no belt dust and no blown belts. These tied clutches are extremely efficient and responsive.

E

Ed Fast

Jan 22, 2004
Gillette WYO
tied

First off I have one for the same reasons all you do. If you have the cash buy a paragon and never look back. When I win the lotto I believe it is the only way to go.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I'll check with Indy Dan, but does anyone know if he can work with a slightly used primary and secondary Tied? I'm sure he can but I'm wondering what his approach will be since he doesn't have brand new equipment. I too feel my setup from Tied was ok, but didn't impress me much. Like other said, smoother back shift but too hard to tell if it was doing anything worth bragging about. I ran my '13 Pro with my TSS-004 for that reason last year. I'd love to send him both clutches and have him set them up for this winter. Clutching is everything on these sleds!

M
Jan 19, 2008
I love Indy Dans setup. Never had a setup as good. Tried all kinds of setups with the tss04. They worked but belt slip with the 115 was bad and temps were high. My set up now has no belt slip, low clutch/belt temps and runs very consistant. Absolutely no complaints, just a grin.

Premium Features