• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Horse is installed...ride hieght adjustments??

U

upfront719

Sep 5, 2010
Cadillac, MI
Finally called it quits on the dirtbiking (for this year) and got the kit is installed this weekend.

I took the snow bikes for a test spin this weekend. All I can say is WOW!!!!

These are going to be a riot, but they definitely take some getting used to. We only test rode for 5 minutes or so. The first 2 minutes I thought I was going to kill myself, the last 3 minutes I had a perm-a-grin just imagining what they will do on snow.

I'm glad that I read that you have to lean the bike to one side in order to maintain control. I tried to ride it flat at first and damn near killed myself!! I sure hope they handle a little better with some POW (I'm sure they do).

QUESTON: Has anyone tried to lower the ride height? I'm 5'10" and I have a feeling that I'm going to fall over ALOT due to the fact that my chort legs can barely touch the ground. :) I wonder if I can modify the Strut Rod to lower the bike??

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
Modifying the strut rod is a bad idea since it will change the geometry of the Horse. A very small change can be the difference between getting on top of the snow or plowing through it.

Edit: Just face facts that you WILL fall over many times on your first couple of rides. But just be patient as you will develop a new sense of balance and you'll be parking that thing standing upright in no time.

Jon Mutiger

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2010
Maple Ridge, BC
Once you get on snow, you'll want to avoid the harder packed trails and head for the softer or completely untracked stuff. Riding on dirt sucks, if you did ride it on dirt, it's nothing like riding on snow.

You won't need to touch the ground like you think you do, it sinks into the ground, and it stands up on it's own. You learn not to stick a foot out everytime you stop. You'll want to get some heated grips if you don't already. It's way colder where you are then out west.

Jon

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
snows good

like mentioned, out in the snow the tall saddle turns out to be no big deal, stay off hard pack, like a sled pick your landing spot...........unlike a sled where stopping on the flat is good, on the bike stopping on a sidehill is good. So if you rode it in dirt and survived, you'll do good in the snow.

U

upfront719

Sep 5, 2010
Cadillac, MI
Good to hear. Thanks for the comments.

Props to Rush again for telling me to lean to one side on the hard pack stuff. That comment saved me :)

I haven't been this fired up to ride since my sno-x / moto-x days!!

tomk

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
like mentioned, out in the snow the tall saddle turns out to be no big deal, stay off hard pack, like a sled pick your landing spot...........unlike a sled where stopping on the flat is good, on the bike stopping on a sidehill is good. So if you rode it in dirt and survived, you'll do good in the snow.

I dont agree sorry, but I am almost 5' 9" and I had my bike set high last year and my buddy had his set really low, I liked his way better, for this reason, imagine putting your foot down in 3 feet of pow on an off camber setting, your foot doesnt always stop in the snow, then you end up up to your hip in snow with a bike on top of you with your legs at a 90 degree angle, and your buddies all laughing asking you "so how is that snow bike working?!"

This year my bike will be adjustable:face-icon-small-hap

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
I dont agree sorry, but I am almost 5' 9" and I had my bike set high last year and my buddy had his set really low, I liked his way better, for this reason, imagine putting your foot down in 3 feet of pow on an off camber setting, your foot doesnt always stop in the snow, then you end up up to your hip in snow with a bike on top of you with your legs at a 90 degree angle, and your buddies all laughing asking you "so how is that snow bike working?!"

This year my bike will be adjustable:face-icon-small-hap

so how are you making it adjustable//Im intrested ,other than adding spacers unter the slider rods?

tomk

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
I am running a prototype kit, hopefully start production for next season

TreewellDweller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
McCall, Idaho
DON'T PUT YOUR FEET DOWN! I know this sounds odd for a motorcycle, but when you come to a stop just lock your break for the last 3 inches. This will load the track with snow and you will just sit there. After a few times you will realize how easy it really is. I had to get vocal with myself a few times and actually say out loud "Keep your feet up, Stupid"!
I know keeping your feet up goes against the grain but it really works. Even on a sidehill, just keep your feet up.
The minute you put one foot down your balance shifts to that side and you start to tip. Anything more than 2" of snow and you are on your side. Just sit there with your feet on the pegs and enjoy the view and try to get the cramps out of your cheeks from grinning so much. ENJOY!!!!!

T
Nov 24, 2010
Yes, stopping with your feet up is easy, even on off camber terrain. I think i even turned around on my bike and took a little snooze before. A lower seat height would be great but i dont think thats going to happen with a conversion kit.

Oz

U

upfront719

Sep 5, 2010
Cadillac, MI
I'm not concerned with stopping and keeping my feet up. I did that when I test rode on the dirt, and kept my balance just fine. I guess I am more concerned with burming corners or having a hillclimb "go bad" and needing to bounce my foot off the ground to maintain control. I see my short legs not touching bottom. :)

It sounds like it's not that big of a deal, and there is nothing that I can do about it so I'll stop worrying about it, and just wear my tekvest & elbow pads to help ease the pain :)

I guess it wouldn't be fun if I didn't fall off a few times (I'm used to it) :doh:

T
Nov 24, 2010
I'm not concerned with stopping and keeping my feet up. I did that when I test rode on the dirt, and kept my balance just fine. I guess I am more concerned with burming corners or having a hillclimb "go bad" and needing to bounce my foot off the ground to maintain control. I see my short legs not touching bottom. :)

It sounds like it's not that big of a deal, and there is nothing that I can do about it so I'll stop worrying about it, and just wear my tekvest & elbow pads to help ease the pain :)

I guess it wouldn't be fun if I didn't fall off a few times (I'm used to it) :doh:

Going real slow through technical terrain is where ive had the most problems.
When im real tired sometimes i will just tip over for no real reason. When its on the downhill side at least i get a few laughs out of it from my buddies and even myself.
The tekvest is a great idea, i need to get one. I have been just cruising along and my bike decides it doesnt want me on it anymore and just chucks me off it. Must have hit something hidden i guess. The last time i wasnt laughing too much.

Oz

Premium Features