• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2015 GM HD trucks out in early 14?

P

Powderboy

Nov 1, 2001
Renton, WA
Anybody else hearing about an all new HD truck out in about 30 days? The GMC dealer called me and said they have one coming in and asked if I wanted it. I knew there was an expected all new HD pickup coming out in 15 but I'm surprised it would be out so early.

OhioMitch

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2013
This says first quarter 2015 but I wouldn't say late December would be out of the question to see a few rolling in.
7,000lb payload!! Sounds like a 5 place sled deck waiting to happen.

P

Powderboy

Nov 1, 2001
Renton, WA
From what I've read it's just a new interior and sheet metal isn't it? Still using the same frame, suspension and power train

Yes, good point. I thought the HD's were suppose to be a new truck when they finally came out. This looks like lot's of fluff. Guess I'll have to wait until 16 and see what's up. Not sure swapping out my 13 gets me much by way of the wow factor.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Powertrain will be the same. The interior will be completely re-done, the outside styling will be re-done. Honestly, what more do you want? They have the most reliable powertrain, the complaint has been the old interior, lack of space. All of that is being taken care of in 2015. The trucks won't be available until probably March of 2014. Ordering will begin around December 19, 2013. That is just when we can start to put our orders in. Pricing won't be available at that time. Building will begin I think in January, mid month probably. ABout 6 weeks to build. a couple more to ship.

P

Powderboy

Nov 1, 2001
Renton, WA
Powertrain will be the same. The interior will be completely re-done, the outside styling will be re-done. Honestly, what more do you want? They have the most reliable powertrain, the complaint has been the old interior, lack of space. All of that is being taken care of in 2015. The trucks won't be available until probably March of 2014. Ordering will begin around December 19, 2013. That is just when we can start to put our orders in. Pricing won't be available at that time. Building will begin I think in January, mid month probably. ABout 6 weeks to build. a couple more to ship.

Thanks for clarifying. Just a question. Wouldn't they have needed to change the cab size to increase the lack of space?

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
You'd think so but what they did is use high density seat foam. That creates an extra 2" of rear seat room. Basically the old seats we're say 6" thick and the new ones are 5" thick (front and back seat). They also moved the B-pillar forward to create more room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I've ridden in the half ton and I felt the room has increased. I still don't like that the seats don't fold down, they fold up vertically. But then again, so does Ford and Dodge. The dash is much better on the new trucks. Some little things really make the new truck pretty sweet including the gauges, bumper step, projector lights (no HID though!) and others.

Problem with a new HD is that I bet you won't see 0% financing until late in the year when the 2016 trucks come out. A $60k truck is already a big chunk of money, 0% interest makes it an easier pill to swallow.

xcmark

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Mass-hole

this is exactly what I was told when I was looking for a 3500hd back in late sept.
I went with a 2013 3500 SRW denali . To my surprise its bee getting 1~2 MPG better then my 2006 2500hd with the LBZ motor and 6 speed. with summer fuel and the AC compressor off it will get 18.8 mpg at 75~80 mph every day. I am sure it would be better if the speeds where slower but that's just running with traffic.

P

Powderboy

Nov 1, 2001
Renton, WA
I am a true blue Ford guy but I like the look of the '14 GMC front end but not the Chevy!

Ya that's me. I have always owned Fords but I bought a GMC HD Denali because I liked the look. Cant go wrong with the power train package either.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT

I would love to see them drop the IFS and go back to the solid front axle. I love the way the Ram and Ford trucks sit higher. Also, now that the Ram has the radius arm front suspension and coil over rear, the Ram rides better then the GM IMO.

They probably won't do that though, so I would like to at least see them switch out the torsion bar setup for coils. I'm not a fan of the IFS and definitely not the torsion bars.

Most importantly I would like to see them move the ridiculous urea tank!!! You can't even tell the Ford or Ram have it. Then you look at the GM and it has that stupid tank hanging down below their already low hanging frame!!! Its just so annoying. Bugs the crap out of me. Totally unacceptable in my opinion.

The new body style doesn't do it for me. I think the Ram and Superduty look way better but I love the Duramax/Allison powertrain in the GM trucks.

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
I would love to see them drop the IFS and go back to the solid front axle. I love the way the Ram and Ford trucks sit higher. Also, now that the Ram has the radius arm front suspension and coil over rear, the Ram rides better then the GM IMO.

They probably won't do that though, so I would like to at least see them switch out the torsion bar setup for coils. I'm not a fan of the IFS and definitely not the torsion bars.

Most importantly I would like to see them move the ridiculous urea tank!!! You can't even tell the Ford or Ram have it. Then you look at the GM and it has that stupid tank hanging down below their already low hanging frame!!! Its just so annoying. Bugs the crap out of me. Totally unacceptable in my opinion.

The new body style doesn't do it for me. I think the Ram and Superduty look way better but I love the Duramax/Allison powertrain in the GM trucks.

You're the first person that I've heard say the Dodge rides the best. Everyone I've talked to thinks they are the worst of the three. I've had several customers trade in a 3500 Dodge Ram single rear wheel for a dual rear wheel GMC and they all have said the GMC rides FAR better. I had a guy buy a Ford, come to me two days later trying to trade it out for the GMC because the ride was not as good. He took our truck to the exact same road he drives his Ford on. To each their own.

I agree that the DEF tank is silly on the current GMC. The reason for it is because it was an afterthought. They didn't have the DEF system until 2011. The truck was designed in 2007. I'd like to think they make the tank longer and not drop down as far, except it wouldn't fit on a regular cab truck. I imagine that's why they have the current design. I'd expect that tank to change on the 2015 HD.

You'll never see a solid front axle on the truck, doesn't make any sense. Their front suspension does a great job. People like comfort and a good ride in trucks.

C

carlc

Jan 23, 2008
helena mt
I highly doubt you have had anyone complain about the ride in a 13 3500 cummins. My opinion is they are the best riding f the three now as well. Ram finally got it right by lightening up the sway bar on the front axle for the 13s and the radius arms topped it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
You're correct, I haven't had anyone complain about a 13. Prior to that, there were tons. I didn't think the ride was better than the GM, maybe that's just me. I've had two used ones in.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
You're the first person that I've heard say the Dodge rides the best. Everyone I've talked to thinks they are the worst of the three. I've had several customers trade in a 3500 Dodge Ram single rear wheel for a dual rear wheel GMC and they all have said the GMC rides FAR better. I had a guy buy a Ford, come to me two days later trying to trade it out for the GMC because the ride was not as good. He took our truck to the exact same road he drives his Ford on. To each their own.

I agree that the DEF tank is silly on the current GMC. The reason for it is because it was an afterthought. They didn't have the DEF system until 2011. The truck was designed in 2007. I'd like to think they make the tank longer and not drop down as far, except it wouldn't fit on a regular cab truck. I imagine that's why they have the current design. I'd expect that tank to change on the 2015 HD.

You'll never see a solid front axle on the truck, doesn't make any sense. Their front suspension does a great job. People like comfort and a good ride in trucks.

I totally agree with you on the ride, up until 2014. I drove a 2014 Ram 2500 Cummins the other day and was extremely impressed with the ride. Felt darn close to my F150. Everyone should switch to the coil spring rear. Also, the 3 link in the front feels better then the older 5 link.

FYI, 2014 Ram 2500s have the coil over rear suspension
2014 Ram 3500s still have the leafs
Both 14s feature the radius arm front suspension (which the 2013 3500s had)

The front IFS feels pretty darn close to the solid axle in the new RAMs IMO. The solid axle is way simpler, stronger and easier to lift so I really see no advantage to the IFS.

Go drive a 2014 Ram 2500 and tell me what you think?

I will say the Duramax still feels way faster, although I'm not sure its really faster.

S

SNWMBL

Feb 14, 2010
AK
While I would agree that a solid axle by itself is inherently stronger, they have their issues as well. Track bar bushings and unit bearings being the main two.

P

Powderboy

Nov 1, 2001
Renton, WA
I guess I dont see the issue with the GM front ends. I suppose if you use the truck in hard service vs the straight axle?

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
The GM fronts just wear quickly, especially if you run bigger tires. My last two GM trucks I have installed Cognito leveling kits and there heim joint braces for the idler arms. They take the stress off so they don't wear out so quickly.

One of my biggest peeves is the square wheel wells. The stock size tires make the truck look absolutely ridiculous but if you want to run even a little bit if offset and a couple sizes bigger tire you have to level the truck and possibly hack the fenders.

I agree as mentioned above, that the DEF tank is ridiculous too. In bought the GM tube running boards to at least somewhat hide it from view.

I currently have an '11 crew cab 2500 leveled with 285/55R 20 tires. It will do 20MPG ( on the dash) when running around 60-65MPH.

Love the power, transmission and the braking withe the bigger brakes and exhaust brake compared to my '06 LBZ.

I have three kids in car seats who are 2,4,and 6 years old. The back seat space is quickly becoming a problem. Wet, salty, sandy boot prints on my black leather in winter makes my skin crawl.

The Dodge seems to have the most leg room, but there interiors always seem so cheap and I see a ton of less than 5 year old Dodges here in Minnesota with rust already bubbling the bumpers, tailgates and box sides.

I like the Fords but I am leary after putting over 100k miles on a 6.0l and seeing it in the shop for $1500 in repairs every couple months. If the current Ford engine continues to be reliable as the miles add up I think I will be in a Ford by 2015.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
Yes it is true. They are pulling the same crap they did in 1987 with the 88's and 99 with the new vs classic. If you remember ford did it with there Superduty's also in 1999.

The part that is crap is they have shut down the production of there 3/4 ton trucks anticipating the early release of the 15's. This is leaving no supply for 3.4 ton trucks. We are sitting smack dab in the the middle of farm country with farmers that still have money to burn in December and NO 3/4 ton trucks to sell!!!! Pretty damm smart of GM HUH:crazy: Mean while the Ford dealership in town just took in 45 new superduty's to fill the demand. Just another reason why Ford did not need the bail out money.

Premium Features