• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

900 flywheel

mcfly13

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
hey got a question
pulled my flywheel off from an 06 9hundo and there seams to be a sleave on the inside that is loose it floats around and spins. the sleave is complete but,:confused:
is that normal or not

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
is it around the outside? there should not be anything loose on the flywheel. they are known to have flywheels go bad. the magnets come loose from the inside on some of them.

mcfly13

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
no this is on the inside between the stator and the magnets looks like a speedy sleeve but it will spin the flywheel magnets hold it in place

mh i used the appropriate flywheel puller a little round machined one for a polaris. did not bottom bolts out

what brought this on is was checking run out on crank and it would only spin 1/4 turn each way then locked up. thought maybe something in flywheel, pulled flywheel found this sleave thing
with flywheel out motor turns fine

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
here is a pick of a fly wheel what is loose?

BZqiOngB2kKGrHgoOKi0EjlLmUvDqBKn0Ys.jpg

mcfly13

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
sorry flywheel is at another shop will post pics later
but on the inside of the flywheel there is a thin band that goes over the magnets
it would set between the magnets and the stator
this band is loose

J
Aug 26, 2008
Havre, MT
You need a new flywheel. I had the same thing happen, the band is glued, or welded to the inside and it comes loose. Mine happened when it was running and took my stator out. hope this helps. I see killswitchhitter had one on the forum you might check it out.

Super Dave3

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2003
Klamath Falls OR
I have seen this issue a few times. It is not junk, all you need to due is clean the magnets with some brake clean and use a good two part epoxy to glue the stainless steel band back in. While the flywheel is out make sure that it hasn't cut into any of the stator wires. If you decide to replace it, order one for a 06 they were a little lighter flywheel. Hope this helps.

Premium Features