• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rings on 04 Summit 800

P

pat93fox

Feb 21, 2008
I am edging up on 2000 miles on my 04 Summit. My dealer swears up and down that the 800 did not have the ring issue but I have seen too many posts on here regarding rings to believe him 100%. Is compression a good way to know if my rings are flaking? I have 125 on both sides, which seems good to me. Any advice?

h-d2

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Omaha,Ne
I am edging up on 2000 miles on my 04 Summit. My dealer swears up and down that the 800 did not have the ring issue but I have seen too many posts on here regarding rings to believe him 100%. Is compression a good way to know if my rings are flaking? I have 125 on both sides, which seems good to me. Any advice?

I had a 04 and the rings were flaking at 500 miles.I would be a little concerned with the stock pistons also.I would do a 2 ring drop-in kit from rktek or Big John( Sled head racing). Nice improvement over the stock single ring piston.Just my 2 Cents.:beer;

Summit97

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Pipestone Mn
04 rings

I had a 04 with 750 miles and they had flaking on them so I went with BJ's kit. I think I would change then. It's just cheap insurance.

Summit97

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Flaking rings will not really hurt you. You will just be down some power.

What does in these engines is usually the ring locator pin. It has a way of falling out, your rings spin, catch a port, game over.

whitefish

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kent WA
I have rebuilt about 20 04's and 05's and never seen one that didn't have bad rings. Yes,you will be down on power and they can cause some over heating issues on long pulls.

I have rebuilt about 20 04's and 05's and never seen one that didn't have bad rings. Yes,you will be down on power and they can cause some over heating issues on long pulls.

I'd have to agree with you whitefish. I've rebuilt a few 800 HO's and have seen ring flaking in almost every case, some that had started to flake the nikasil off of the cylinder. Big John's, RKT's, even Weiscos with Swain Tech Coatings are all good choices.

whitefish

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kent WA
You can check the exhaust side of the ring by pulling the RAVE valve off of the PTO side and looking down there with a good light. If it looks good it doesn't mean the rest of it is good. You can only confirm if it is bad.

H
Dec 21, 2001
Meridian, Idaho
Thanks.....this is what I thought you were going to say......I have a new top end kit on order anyways but wanted to know what others saw on the 2005's. I bought my sled used with almost 2K miles on it so I have no history on rebuilds or warranty repairs. I did pick up a 2004 that had tore up a cylinder and rave valve because of the ring alignment pin came out. I noticed that the rings were pitted up pretty good as well. I replaced the cylinder, head and RAVE guilitine and put in an SPI kit and it seemed to work really well up until I sold it.....

Could the ring pitting/delamination in any way cause a ring alignment pin failure?

superfly333

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2008
MN
Have an 04 and rings went at about 1500 miles, turned in ports and ruined cylinder. Recommend to replace them before detonation...

S

snow_freak

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 11, 2009
Wasilla
Could the ring pitting/delamination in any way cause a ring alignment pin failure?

like team dirt said its usually caused by detonation because them engines did not have the knock sensor until 06, so you could probably blame the gas station for selling you watered down gas.

Premium Features