• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

12/15 First ride impression, '09 M1000 and '09 D8

Ricks 32

Premium Member
Aug 26, 2008
Idaho
Rode just outside of Island Park today. First ride on both sleds. Temps were -5 to 5 degrees today. Snow as good at 8500 feet and great at 9500 feet. (Approx 3 feet of good powder with a little base). After some trail riding we went to some higher open areas and were able to get off the trail and hit some hills. Both sleds felt great in the powder.

The cat had lots of ice buildup in the tunnel and the D8 carried no ice. I liked the heat exchangers on the Polaris. The skid on the D8 did pack the snow though. I didn't expect that. The Cat didn't build up any snow in the skid.

The new front end on the D8 is a huge improvement. We had some '08 D8's and they sure do drag much more in the deep stuff and they dont shead the snow like the '09 D8. The '09 D8 knifed right through the deep stuff and we never had to clear off the hood to let the sled get more air. It was a noticable difference when carving downhill and pushing deep snow. The '08 D8's would have to stop and clear off the hood to get some air. The cat was much better than the '08 D8's, but not as good as the '09 D8.

'09 Cat turns much better than the '08' cats but the skies suck. I really like the Polaris skies.

The cat owns the sidehill. Hands down, that sled will carve a line on a steep slope better than the D8. The D8 tends to spin down and wont hold the line as well. The cat will hold any line even on the steepest slopes. Not sure if it's the Powder Claw or the more aggressive tapered tunnel, but the cat is at home on the sidehill. Dont get me wrong, the D8 worked well, but on the steep slopes, the cat has it.

The running boards on the cat are sweet!! So are the adjustable handlebars :)

Both sleds were great. It was really easy to swap between the two sleds. Both sleds were vented well and both sleds kept the clutches cool. The difference between the '08 and '09 D8's was really noticable in the deep stuff. Nice job Polaris!

One wierd thing was that the snow wouldn't run off the hood of the '09 cats with the matte finish as good as the '08 cats with the glossy hood? Go figure on that one.

Anyhow, it was a blast to get out for the first ride! Both sleds worked excellent and it's going to be a great year!

Long Gone

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Twin Falls, Idaho
Thanks for the non-biased report. I think that the ski doo has its hands full for this year and had better expect tight competition for the next year. I'll be watching as '10 will be my year to trade.

Ricks 32

Premium Member
Aug 26, 2008
Idaho
No XP's today....I did speak to a good friend who rode his '08 XP on Saturday. He had good luck with his XP last year but he's a long time Polaris guy and he spend some money converting his XP clutching to the Team Clutch setup. He also got happy with the drill and put a bunch of vents in the sled. He said that he was able to get better performance out of the Team clutch and the venting really helped also. He really didn't get comfortable with the feel of the XP last year. He put on a 15" track this fall and he said that the sled is easier to move from side to side...I don't know what length he went with though? It was a 163......I'll get a good feel for it on Saturday.

While racing side by side up a short steep creek bottom last year, the XP was the sled to beat. But the results did fade as the clutches got hot. Take it for what it's worth.

We did have a '99 RMK 700 with us today and I took a rip on that ole girl. Let's just say that all these new sleds have come a long way!!!! I'll give it credit though, it did have over 6k HARD miles and about 12 lbs of pigeon crap all over it :)

Ricks 32

Premium Member
Aug 26, 2008
Idaho
M1 is running SLP pipe/can and clutching. D8 had a BD pump gas turbo. Needless to say, the D8 had the edge :)

After we had about 35 miles on each, they were both pretty crisp. We lined them up for a few small drags up a gradual slope and the cat would jump out to a small lead and hold it. We did find a nice steep long pull and the D8 pulled the whole thing in one shot. It took the cat 2 runs to make it to the top and it had to track poach too. Obviously the D8 will have the advantage. There was no comparison b/t the M1 and the '08 D8's and the '07 M8. It was an a$$ kicking....The '09 cat does run hard. The new track on the cat is awesome. It gets on the snow fast and the track speed was great. I don't know what the track speed was though?? I'll have to remember to check that out next time.

Skinner

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
Whoa Baby! Nice picture Sled-Fiend

^^^ I will second that!!!!

Nice review it should be an outstanding year. I would love to try out both new sleds. My Buddy bought a 09 D8 this year and I have a 08 M1000 to gauge it by. It will be fun!:D

Ricks 32

Premium Member
Aug 26, 2008
Idaho
Both are great. I had money on the '09 D8. After I rode and '08 with the SLP kit I made the switch. Can't go wrong with either in my opinion. For me, the extra power with the SLP kit sold the sled. It's a whole different animal with the SLP kit.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Rode just outside of Island Park today. First ride on both sleds. Temps were -5 to 5 degrees today. Snow as good at 8500 feet and great at 9500 feet. (Approx 3 feet of good powder with a little base). After some trail riding we went to some higher open areas and were able to get off the trail and hit some hills. Both sleds felt great in the powder.

The cat had lots of ice buildup in the tunnel and the D8 carried no ice. I liked the heat exchangers on the Polaris. The skid on the D8 did pack the snow though. I didn't expect that. The Cat didn't build up any snow in the skid.

The new front end on the D8 is a huge improvement. We had some '08 D8's and they sure do drag much more in the deep stuff and they dont shead the snow like the '09 D8. The '09 D8 knifed right through the deep stuff and we never had to clear off the hood to let the sled get more air. It was a noticable difference when carving downhill and pushing deep snow. The '08 D8's would have to stop and clear off the hood to get some air. The cat was much better than the '08 D8's, but not as good as the '09 D8.

'09 Cat turns much better than the '08' cats but the skies suck. I really like the Polaris skies.

The cat owns the sidehill. Hands down, that sled will carve a line on a steep slope better than the D8. The D8 tends to spin down and wont hold the line as well. The cat will hold any line even on the steepest slopes. Not sure if it's the Powder Claw or the more aggressive tapered tunnel, but the cat is at home on the sidehill. Dont get me wrong, the D8 worked well, but on the steep slopes, the cat has it.

The running boards on the cat are sweet!! So are the adjustable handlebars :)

Both sleds were great. It was really easy to swap between the two sleds. Both sleds were vented well and both sleds kept the clutches cool. The difference between the '08 and '09 D8's was really noticable in the deep stuff. Nice job Polaris!

One wierd thing was that the snow wouldn't run off the hood of the '09 cats with the matte finish as good as the '08 cats with the glossy hood? Go figure on that one.

Anyhow, it was a blast to get out for the first ride! Both sleds worked excellent and it's going to be a great year!

Why do think the snow is sticking in the tunnel or on the suspensions more on one sled than the other?

Ricks 32

Premium Member
Aug 26, 2008
Idaho
Let me know, please.

I stopped in to SLP yesterday and they aren't going to have #'s anytime soon. The 1000's a little lower on the totum pole for tuning and they are recomending to used the '08 specs as a starting point and then fine tune from there. I'm gutless when it comes to playing with the BD box, so I'm gonna wait another week for the #'s from my dealer. I'll be running a different airbox though, so mine may vary?

Once all the oil is gone from the first tank, it may pull a little better on top? I'm currently running the '08 settings...

Ricks 32

Premium Member
Aug 26, 2008
Idaho
Why do think the snow is sticking in the tunnel or on the suspensions more on one sled than the other?

The Dragon has two heat exchangers that run the length of the tunnel. This keeps the ice off. Cat only has the heat exchanger at the rear end of the tunnel and it did have some good ice buildup.

Not sure on why there was a difference in the suspension?

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
The Dragon has two heat exchangers that run the length of the tunnel. This keeps the ice off. Cat only has the heat exchanger at the rear end of the tunnel and it did have some good ice buildup.

Not sure on why there was a difference in the suspension?

I think on the dragon it is due to the amount of melt on inside/outside of the tunnel, seems to make the snow stcik pretty good on the suspension...

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA

The snow was sticking on the Cat boards because there's small heat exch that run on the top inside corners of the tunnel and melt anything that gets on the side of the tunnel, until the running boards and the side of your bibs are caked with ice.
Only complaint I have so far with the M1000 (first time in deep snow with it last Sat).

Premium Features