• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snowbike Nitrous Kits

M

more snow

Jan 8, 2008
Nampa, ID
I would really like to hear from people that have ridden a snowbike with Nitrous. Opinions? What did you specifically like? Pros? Cons? Concerns?

Thanks.

SwiftwaterPowersports

Premium Member
Nov 4, 2015
the guys at ice age are a great group of guys lots of information easy to deal with if you would like see the nitrous kits you can see them at the Leavenworth snow show at the swiftwater power sport booth this weekend in Leavenworth wa

N
Mar 21, 2016
NW oregon
So what's the best way to get a small shot on a newer efi bike? Do you need to remap the bike? My bike has open loop efi and a power commander with auto tuner O2 sensor so it's possible it might be able to just add more fuel as needed when the NOS switch is hit?

E

Eric R

Nov 24, 2013
Dayton, Minnesota
Just curious, how long does the happiness last when you press the button?

And do you press and hold down, or just 1 push at a time.

Also, is there a lag?

Going from 42hp to 62hp is huge. 48% increase.

Thanks in advance!

So what's the best way to get a small shot on a newer efi bike? Do you need to remap the bike? My bike has open loop efi and a power commander with auto tuner O2 sensor so it's possible it might be able to just add more fuel as needed when the NOS switch is hit?
With your setup, you're good to go already!! The PCV + Autotune will monitor your AFR both on nitrous and off. Thus, when you depress the button to activate your nitrous solenoid, the Autotune will see an attempted spike in AFR, and increase fuel delivery immediately. Once you let go of the button, it will scale back fuel delivery automatically. Neat stuff!!! A +15HP shot is quick, still easy on the engine, and the power increase is amazingly handy.
While your PCV + Autotune method is one style to fuel for nitrous usage, since any PCV carries two maps at the same time toggleable at the flip of a switch or button - (which is how I wired in my PCV fueled Nitrous kit this season) - pressing the nitrous solenoid button changes over to the "Nitrous Map", and then releasing just runs the normal map is another direction any user can employ.

Happy Summer Folks!
~T.J.

N
Mar 21, 2016
NW oregon
With your setup, you're good to go already!! The PCV + Autotune will monitor your AFR both on nitrous and off. Thus, when you depress the button to activate your nitrous solenoid, the Autotune will see an attempted spike in AFR, and increase fuel delivery immediately. Once you let go of the button, it will scale back fuel delivery automatically. Neat stuff!!! A +15HP shot is quick, still easy on the engine, and the power increase is amazingly handy.
While your PCV + Autotune method is one style to fuel for nitrous usage, since any PCV carries two maps at the same time toggleable at the flip of a switch or button - (which is how I wired in my PCV fueled Nitrous kit this season) - pressing the nitrous solenoid button changes over to the "Nitrous Map", and then releasing just runs the normal map is another direction any user can employ.

Happy Summer Folks!
~T.J.
Very cool! So to do it with auto tune would you open up the maximum fuel trim change on the pcv? It's normally set to only allow +\- 20 values but if that's not enough to compensate during NoS could be problematic.
Also, if you have it set for non auto tune and just switch two maps would you need to dyno the second map to work at WOT and NoS? Otherwise wouldn't you be guessing somewhat?

Very cool! So to do it with auto tune would you open up the maximum fuel trim change on the pcv? It's normally set to only allow +\- 20 values but if that's not enough to compensate during NoS could be problematic.
Also, if you have it set for non auto tune and just switch two maps would you need to dyno the second map to work at WOT and NoS? Otherwise wouldn't you be guessing somewhat?
Opening up the allowable Enrichment/Enleanment range is a great idea. 20% might be on the edge of being just enough for low HP shots and is plenty for the average non-NOS user, but a wider range will enable you to adjust fuel to a larger delivery when larger shots are installed.

The second map for nitrous can definitely be guessed at for dialing in, and a little mathematics gets us very close from the get-go. For example, say your bike is rated for 60HP at sea level. Now come up to 8000' and you have a 47HP bike. Then add your 15HP shot - putting you at 62HP. Where your bike is fueling for 47HP off nitrous, you will instantly add 32% power delivered via nitrous when on the button. So a quick coarse tuning guideline can be to throw that same 32% extra fuel in your second mapping table when toggling via the switch without having Autotune. Nitrous burn definitely isn't perfect, and the jet orifice for the chosen 15HP shot may deviate from builder to builder, so the 32% is only rough. But you are correct, A dyno equipped with a wideband would be the ample solution to tune a bike in without the aid of an on-board wideband sensor.

For bottle size, a 2.5lb bottle has proven to be plenty of juice on each typical day. While I did burn through exactly an entire 2.5lb bottle in one uber-deep December day, adding more weight such as the mentioned heavier 10lb bottle to the bike/kit wouldn't have me too excited - as that setup when filled might be an extra 15lbs when starting the day! Fitment of a 10lb bottle onto the kit could become troubling considering their length as well.

~T.J.

blacklabel28

Premium Member
Jan 17, 2015
Keystone Co
TJ,
What kit were you using with the PCV? I have a pcv and am thinking of getting autotune and possibly a nitrous kit and would like the most seamless painless route to get it to work together happily.

Thanks

TJ,
What kit were you using with the PCV? I have a pcv and am thinking of getting autotune and possibly a nitrous kit and would like the most seamless painless route to get it to work together happily.

Thanks
I basically pieced together my own kit starting with the 2.5lb bottle and valve from DynoTune. Sought after a low draw/high flow solenoid, paired it with a sleek hidden bottle mount, added some fancy jets up to .054 orifice (wayyy too much for most days or engines to hold together, but cold bottles/low pressures don't flow optimally), and came together perfectly all on a bargain budget! In the end, any dry nitrous kit will work with the PCV - Dynojet has been doing it for years.

Since you have the PCV already, the AT accessory delivers you a perfectly fueled bike everyday plus fuels for a generous HP spray in a snap. The Kawi's have a great powerband even in stock form, and should be a hoot for you on the button!

~T.J.

Premium Features