• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How much does powdercoating help ? How much does it averagley cost ?

C
Mar 20, 2011
Just like the tittle says how much does it help keep the snow off tunnel,running boards etc. Also how much is it on average and are you guys sending your stuff somewhere or doing it locally ?

J
Jan 1, 2008
My F7 had a smooth black powdercoated or painted tunnel (not sure which, but it was tough) and it did not make any noticable difference as far as shedding snow. Aluminum can be pourus but not the pourus enough for a snow flake to fit in it. Looks good but no performance gain.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
My experience as been different. PCing my snow eliminators made a big difference. I went satin black and had it done locally. The painter did an awesome job. Also if you checkout the proclimb section I remember seeing pictures of snow build up on the natural vs black tunnels and the black was significantly better. My experience is in mountain powder.

C
Mar 20, 2011
My experience as been different. PCing my snow eliminators made a big difference. I went satin black and had it done locally. The painter did an awesome job. Also if you checkout the proclimb section I remember seeing pictures of snow build up on the natural vs black tunnels and the black was significantly better. My experience is in mountain powder.

ya see thats what i hear from local mountain/climbing riders and guys on here. I just hate those days in the 2-3 feet of fresh and then ten mins later the foot wells and 6''s back of my snow eliminator is slush/ice and a bunch of build up. Just thinking for a future sled not this one though. Mind me asking if you recall how much you paid for the pc ?

C

catmanm7

Nov 29, 2007
not much of a difference of it sticking to it, more for looks then anything. I took every aluminum piece I could to the powdercoater and paid $300. That was them sandblasting and coating it. Basic charges for coating is $90 a color and the size of the rack. You can hang almost everything on one rack, and I did all the same color.
Powdercoating sticks well, so anything I wanted black, i just sanded it a little and painted with por-15. Holds up good enough.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
From my experience, yes snow will still "stick"/build-up whatever you want to call it but it signficantly easier to clear snow off something PC vs natural. With my snow eliminators I used to stomp/kick the living piss out of them to get the snow to fall off/through, now most the time its just a swipe of the foot. There is still some, mainly ice, that sticks but much easier to clear then natural alum. Plastic is the best but my boards were already cut by the previous owner, so stuck with what I have. I think what also helps is getting a smooth PC finish vs some type of textured finish.

Here is a link from the Proclimb section discussion this exact topic

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=288650&highlight=running+boards

I had my rails, kick-ups, snow eliminators, and VE bumper powder coated. It's holding up great so far, just wish the back half of my boards were coated as well. Can't remember the price, around $200.

Premium Features