• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Throttle Cable Tension with Adjustable Steering Post

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I have been having hard starting issues with both my M8000 and my M8. They both have had issues starting after the engine has been running for quite some time and are fully warmed up to operating temperature. One of the suggestions to remedy this problem was the throttle cable may be too tight and to loosen the tension.

I can say that on both sleds the throttle cable freeplay is correct with the handlebars all the way up. However, when I lower the handlebar height, the idle speed increases as the bars go lower. With the bars are the lowest position the engine is just under clutch engagement RPM.

So maybe the throttle cable is too tight? I am thinking about lowering the bars all the way down and setting the freeplay and idle speed in that position but, I am worried that if I do the throttle bodies won't open all the way.

How are you with adjustable steering posts adjusting your throttle cable?

Here are links to the two hard starting threads I referred to above.

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=407446

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=367670

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Wow, nobody else has run into the varying throttle cable tightness?

I was just hoping to find some ideas on how to remedy the issue.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I had an 11 and did not have this problem with it. Currently on my '14, I have not experienced this either.
Sorry no help here.

Sent from my telephone

Woody67

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 5, 2008
Bellingham, WA
I have normally seen it get tight in the up position and turned one direction. But the adjustment is fairly straight forward as you need to try all different positions up, down, and left to right and adjust to the tightest position to have correct free play. If there is a big difference in tension in different positions then something else is wrong with the routing. If you are having issues starting and think it is the cable just check for free play when having the problem. If there is play at the lever it is not the problem.

Thanks,
Woody

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Some how I must have done it wrong on both sleds. I will give them an adjustment sometime this weekend and see if it helps. I just don't want the cables to bee so lose that it doesn't open the throttle bodies all the way. I will have to reinput my TPS numbers into my Power Commanders as well.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
I thought I had my adjustment perfect on my 10" M8 until I pulled the air box and watched the throttle plates. When I went to full throttle I had turned my throttle plates past middle and they were starting to close up again.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Good point Diggerdown! I will definitely be watching the throttle plates to try to make sure they end up right in the middle. I am hoping that once I adjust the throttle cable at the low handle bar setting that the throttle plates open fully i both positions.

Another reason I want to do this is to improve my wrong foot forward riding. I see Burandt and Rassmussen have their bars all the way day down when they ride like they do. I haven't been able to lower my bars down to try it because the RPMs don't drop off enough for the clutch to disengage.

I'm looking forward to trying.

S
Mar 10, 2014
Colorado Springs
I had a similar problem when I cut my telescoping post off and replaced it with a Zbros telescope delete and a riser setup. Once I went lower than stock, I had a stupid high idle, which is the opposite of what you would think would happen.
Pull the hood and adjust the cable near the fuzes and allow a little more free-play in the throttle lever like you said.
I never used the telescope, and just left it in the low position, and it ended up breaking on me after one too many roll-overs. It wouldn't lock anymore.
I have to say that a riser setup with 1 1/8" aluminum fat bars is is preferable to the stock garbage Cat put on these sleds. I went with the CFR Boondocker 2.0 bars.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Thanks Sillrabbit0420, that's probably a good way to go.

I finally got around to adjusting the throttle cable yesterday. There was a fine line between way too many RPM and just right when moving the stock telescoping bars up and down. I think i finally got it. Then I checked to see that the butterflies were opening all the way and checked the Throttle Position Sensor voltage at WOT. It had not changed, still 3.74.

I will give the sled a try probably next weekend. However, it's been in the 50's here the last week and will be this week as well.

Premium Features