• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

A weird one.....

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
A weird one.....Hard or no start

I went on my fourth ride with my new 2015 M8000 yesterday. The sled runs very well but, I have one nagging issue.

I added a Teth-Air (wireless tether) to try out on this sled. I love the idea and it works great but my sled will start the first pull and then die. I can pull and pull and finally it will fire back up and run fine. Then later in the day, it wouldn't start at all. So, I unhooked the power to the Teth-Air and the sled fired right up. So, I added a fresh battery to the wrist strap harness and the sled fired right up again so I thought the issue was solved.

Yesterday it started doing the same stuff all over again. I had enough early in the day and unhooked the Teth-Air power and the sled once again fired right up. Problem solved, right?

No, even with no power to the Teth-Air (it is still wired into the kill switch circuit) the sled will start right up and die. I see the tach needle stuck on all over the map, depending on where in the start up cycle the sled looses power. It's maddening, everyone is ready to go and my sled fires up and then dies. I pull and pull and then it fires up and runs fine.

So, I am kind of at a loss. I am thinking I will remove the Teth-Air from the kill circuit completely as first step. I have a Pro Armor one on the bench to replace it anyway (side thought - now I am wondering if I can use the same wires to hook up the Pro Armor). If this issue turns out not to be tether related, it certainly appears to be electrical. Are there any other items I should be checking?

I just took some pictures under the hood for underhood storage ideas and it slapped me in the head that this switch could be my issue. It came with Power Commander 5 and I use it going from one map to another (ethanol or non-ethanol) on my Power Commander 5. I noticed the switch migrated from the #1 position to the #2 position (it's taped down now). I wonder if that switch was stuck in the middle if it might be part of the problem. Also, I know it's not waterproof, Maybe a cover for it is in order as well.....(PS: I am a bit embarrassed by my high tech solution to tell which way position the switch is in) :)

DSC03067.jpg

Last edited:
H
Jan 10, 2016
I have been running an slp kit with a pc5 since 2013 on two different sleds, and I have had the same problem that you are experiencing on both sleds. I'm not sure what the problem is, I have been through just about everything I can think of with the sled. Dealer has no clue, and I have worked with slp extensively, I have even sent the pc5 back to dynojet to be tested. All with no solution. I just bought a boondocker box so I'm hoping that will solve the problem. Post on here if you find an answer, if love to know what it is.

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
The pc5 when hooked up will slightly reduce the spark output of the ECU. You notice it more so when starting. Especially when warm and setting for a few minutes. My son has a ported and piped sled with a pc5. If you try starting when warm with a half hearted pull of the rope, it does the same you are talking about. I told him to start it with as fast of a pull of the rope as he can. Since then on this last trip it has started much better. I suppose the stator output is I little hotter with the quicker pull of the rope.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
So it's not just me! I know they say misery enjoys company but, I must say it sure makes me feel better to know i am not the only one seeing this issue.

So, Mr. Hansen, since you have dealt wit this issue for some time, do you have any ideas I might want to try?

Since you have been trying to solve this issue, I have to assume you have tried the sled without the PCV plugged in and the problem will not duplicate?

Maybe we could try a PCIII instead of a PCV? I have a SLP programed one on my M8 and I have never had an issue.

Does your PCV have a switch for programs? I keep thinking the switch might be the issue.

I too would love to find a cure to this issue......

Tyman212

Premium Member
Sep 1, 2012
Could it be a bad connection to the fuel pump? My cousins stock sled would die on him randomly and would take a lot of pulls to start sometimes. Turned out to be the connector at the fuel pump was corroded so it wasn't always getting enough fuel pressure. Something easy enough to check. And I would add dielectric grease to it.

H
Jan 10, 2016
I just typed out a big long reply but it didn't save, so here is the short version. yes I have unplugged the pc5 and there were no issues, plugged it right back in and back to the issues, so between that, and this is the second sled I have had the same pc5 on with the same issues I am fairly confident it is an issue with how the Pc5 communicate with the ecu. I do not run a switch. And I have put sled back to stock and had no problems. I also sent pc5 to dynojet and they tested it. Told me everything was good. So at this point I just ordered a boondocker box and hope this solves my issue.

T
Feb 8, 2010
Nelson, B.C.
I just typed out a big long reply but it didn't save, so here is the short version. yes I have unplugged the pc5 and there were no issues, plugged it right back in and back to the issues, so between that, and this is the second sled I have had the same pc5 on with the same issues I am fairly confident it is an issue with how the Pc5 communicate with the ecu. I do not run a switch. And I have put sled back to stock and had no problems. I also sent pc5 to dynojet and they tested it. Told me everything was good. So at this point I just ordered a boondocker box and hope this solves my issue.

I'd be very interested in your results, I too have been having similar issues.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Had a PC III cause a motor failure and they keep saying they fixed them over and over yet I keep hearing this kind of thing. Although its prob rare and random, I have a hard time doing it again.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Now I am wondering if SLP makes a pre-programed map for their single pipe for the Boondocker box or do you have to figure out the setup on your own?

Couldn't I use a PCIII and just load up SLP program for the 2012-2016 Single pipe and run it? I haven't looked but, would a PCIII plug right into the ECU without an adapter?

In honesty, can't you run a SLP single pipe on a one of our sleds without a fuel controller? I know a lot of guys did on the older M series sleds.

Last edited:
Greetings Fellow Arctic Cat riders. As the Arctic Cat PCV has been a flagship model for us for many years, their reputation and dependability are paramount and provide users with unparalleled performance.

While the main starting issue sounds to surround the TethAir attachment and not the PCV, Hopefully this info lends some insight and you can be on your way to quickly eliminating the Power Commander as the source of your electrical woes.

Depending on the exact part number you have (11-004 for fuel only, 11-013 for Fuel + Ignition) , there are a few different troubleshooting methods we can explore. While neither of these products in their most current form reduce spark energy delivered by the stock ECU - (fuel only units simply pass the spark wire without interruption), the switch location is on opposing sides of the terminal strip between the two models. Fuel only PCV's can have the Map Switch installed in the 2 holes closest to where the harness exits the enclosure, while the F/I PCV's must have the 2 switch wires inserted furthest away from the where the harness exits the enclosure - as shown in the install guides pertinent to both units. If swapped, this can cause issues if installed in the wrong position. Verify that the switch is in the proper position for your configuration.

Long ago in the PCIIIUSB days, those units actually had far greater potential to cause hard starting issues due to an inferior operating crystal. This was remedied with the PCV circuitry, but the PCIIIUSB is still a perfect candidate if you're looking for a raw fuel control option. Those PCIIIUSB's are rare to find in the wild still for sale, but YES - it would work on your sled.

Next would be to check the Firmware version inside the Power Commander. If the FW is any older than 0.1.13.1 , it should be updated to the newest version found on our website at http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/downloads/default.aspx . There have been massive improvements in FW operations - one of which was to cure a starting lag on Batteryless EFI machines. Access View > Device Information in the Control Center Software to verify your version.

Next would be verifying the install via the problematic floating pins of the ECU connection. These 34-Location connectors have tons of pins that must make solid contact at all times, and are very susceptible to damage or corrosion. Ensure that NO grease or buildup is present in any of the connectors as these compound problems. Also view for any bent pins which would lead to improper connections. Firmly Secure the ground lug to a raw metal part of the bulkhead.....i've chased many an issue (even on my own machines including a wacky starting problem) which come back to a loose ground causing all the headaches.

Lastly we can check to see if the Start-Up fuel feature is checked. This feature can alter fueling based on engine run time, or based on engine temperature. If this feature is checked under Power Commander Tools > Configure > Feature Enables and Input Selections. If there is an erroneous temp value or fuel adjustment point, insert the correct value or disable the feature for troubleshooting purposes.

Thank you Gents!

~T.J.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Thank you SO much for the response Dynojet!

Your assistance is much appreciated, you have provided a great start to correcting our hard starting problem.

I have printed your guidance and will do a step by step check to ensure I have the optimal setup on my PCV.

I do have one question however, and it comes from this information.

"Lastly we can check to see if the Start-Up fuel feature is checked. This feature can alter fueling based on engine run time, or based on engine temperature. If this feature is checked under Power Commander Tools > Configure > Feature Enables and Input Selections. If there is an erroneous temp value or fuel adjustment point, insert the correct value or disable the feature for troubleshooting purposes".

I'm not really sure what I should be doing here. I'm not sure how to find my temp value and fuel adjustment point to be able to adjust them. I am also not sure how to disable the Start-up fuel function for troubleshooting purposes. Could you please provide a bit more detail on this please?

Nov 29, 2007
wasifulus alaska
I have been running the pc5 for 3 years.last year my 800 started doing what you have described.would start fine then die.let it sit for a while and it would start and die.tore the fuel system apart and found out the injectors were not getting signal to open.changed the injector sensor and it fixed it. you can ohm it out to see if its bad.just a sugestion

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Thanks 9071000, hum....injector sensor, I didn't even know there was such a thing, that may be a another good idea to try on my M8000.

After reading Dynojetresearch's post, now I am starting to wonder if maybe my 09 M8 might be experiencing the same type of issue with the PCIII that is installed on it?

It happened a couple years ago. I didn't ride it for a while and now it's doing pretty much the same thing as my M8000 wit the PCV. Here's is what it's doing.

Halfway down the page, you can see how it has acted recently.

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=367670

Nov 29, 2007
wasifulus alaska
Thanks 9071000, hum....injector sensor, I didn't even know there was such a thing, that may be a another good idea to try on my M8000.

After reading Dynojetresearch's post, now I am starting to wonder if maybe my 09 M8 might be experiencing the same type of issue with the PCIII that is installed on it?

It happened a couple years ago. I didn't ride it for a while and now it's doing pretty much the same thing as my M8000 wit the PCV. Here's is what it's doing.

Halfway down the page, you can see how it has acted recently.

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=367670

its easy to check.its behind the recoil.there are two.one is for the spark and the other is for the injectors.you can unplug them from the harness and ohm them.my problem was intermittent for a while then it finally quit.thought it was fuel the whole time and even bought a fuel pump.dealer told me I was crazy when I bought the sensor but it worked.not sure if its realated to the pcv timing or not but after hours of pulling my sled apart and my hair out it was a cheap fix.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
As directed, I updated the firmware of the PCV yesterday, checked the ground wire and made sure the switch wires were in the correct spots on the PCV. The firmware that was on there before the update was really old!

I also shut off (unchecked) the start up fuel feature. I have read the information posted from Dynojetreasearch 20 times and I am still not really sure if I was supposed to turn it off or enter the current ambient temperature (Fahrenheit or Celsius?). If it helps with start up I certainly want it checked but, I have no idea how to determine what values should be entered in the blocks. Does anyone know for sure?

"Lastly we can check to see if the Start-Up fuel feature is checked. This feature can alter fueling based on engine run time, or based on engine temperature. If this feature is checked under Power Commander Tools > Configure > Feature Enables and Input Selections. If there is an erroneous temp value or fuel adjustment point, insert the correct value or disable the feature for troubleshooting purposes".

Now, I will be pulling in the M8 and updating the firmware on the PCIII and seeing if it helps with its starting issues.

H
Jan 10, 2016
Frostbite, after you updated everything did it solve the problem? I checked mine and its still the current version so Im still having the same issues.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I'm not sure, I missed last weekend (playoff football). I will let you guys know what I find.

I spoke with another gentleman at Power Commander and he said I might try running my PCV ground wire to the engine case vs. the frame. He mentioned the batteryless EFI is finicky with grounding issues.

He also said to load the firmware update twice because the firs time it tries to load the driver and the firmware and the firmware oftentimes does not load correctly the first time around.

Last edited:
Thank you SO much for the response Dynojet!

Your assistance is much appreciated, you have provided a great start to correcting our hard starting problem.

I have printed your guidance and will do a step by step check to ensure I have the optimal setup on my PCV.

I do have one question however, and it comes from this information.

I'm not really sure what I should be doing here. I'm not sure how to find my temp value and fuel adjustment point to be able to adjust them. I am also not sure how to disable the Start-up fuel function for troubleshooting purposes. Could you please provide a bit more detail on this please?
Gladly Frostbite!
The PCV itself knows what the engine temperature of the sled is at all times. Using this knowledge, we can adjust fuel based on this value. Checking the box next to Start-Up Fuel in the Features window turns it on. Then, click the configure button next to start-up fuel. Here we will enter what amount of fuel we wish to trim at a specified temperature. You will not enter ambient or anything of the sort, or need to figure out what the temperature is - the PCV already knows that. Tuners develop their maps to keep engine packages dialed, safe and perfectly fueled across a wide range of temperatures - and sometimes they might add fuel to a cold engine to keep it even more safe. For this reason, you might see values in the table such as : At 40* engine temp - add 8 points of fuel, at 60* temp - add 5 points of fuel, 80* - add 2 points, 100* - add zero points. So anything over 100* of coolant temp will no longer adjust the fuel on top of what is already in your base TP/RPM fueling tables.
If this check mark is enabled, and you examine the table seeing that maybe a mis-typed value of a +20 in the 80* column where a +2 was intended, that may assist in solving your issue.

~T.J.

J

jkjasperson

Jan 28, 2008
Rock Springs, Wyoming
I've had the same issue with the PCV. Hard starting, Drop the mag side cylinder and no reverse. Spoke with Dynojet and being told they had a bad batch of PCV I ended up sending it back to exchange for a new one. I also found a bad timing sensor on the sled. The commander was on this sled for 2 rides so not sure if there's any way the commander could of made the timing sensor go bad or not but it is kind of weird how it happened. Going on week 2 waiting for the new PCV to show up and give it another go.

Premium Features