• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

delrin washer in secondary

T
Mar 19, 2013
Just wondering if anyone is running the delrin washer in there tss-04 secondary. If so how many and where do u place them? Thanks in advance..

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
Just wondering if anyone is running the delrin washer in there tss-04 secondary. If so how many and where do u place them? Thanks in advance..

According to SLP

ONE under the spring cup, PERIOD!

They claim 2 next to one another tend to "stick" when hot

and 3 start to affect spring tension

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Two. One under the spring cup, one under the spring. Carl's typical setup. Couple thousand on this setup, and the delrins are still good with no issues.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
There's a new roller bearing used by carls now, no more delrin washers being used.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I've wondered about using a thrust bearing like that for years, but never sourced one. Do they recommend any kind of lube for it? Graphite maybe?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
There's a new roller bearing used by carls now, no more delrin washers being used.

I thought the same thing AK.... looked like the best thing since sliced bread, I've used them before...

Actually Paul Hurley at Fire N Ice was the first to use them back in 2007... But he discontinued them .

For me.... They did not hold up to moisture or any dust/dirt.

They are actually transmission thrust bearings.

made for constant oil bath use.

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com

IMO....As far as the delrin washers for the Secondary TSS clutches....

Both ends of the spring do not need to actually "rotate".... just needs to keep the spring from binding on the 10° [MAX] or so of back/forth twist needed.

Keeping that back/forth minor twist SMOOTH is the goal here.

One end can remain firmly "dug in" so long as the other is free to twist. (it does not need to "rotate"...only twist smoothly)

The purpose of the delrin washers is to allow one end of the spring to slightly rotate, smoothly, as the springs cycles through its compression stroke.

The stock cup does not allow this as the end of the spring digs into the cup and the friction on the steel cup to the sheave keeps it in place.

If you place the delrin washer between the cup and spring, the spring will dig into the soft delrin washer ... not enough to ruin it... but it will have a pressure point on at the spring end.... I know that many have used them IN the cup for years and are happy with it... I was not.

SO... I run two UNDER the spring cup... it does not matter if the spring stays fixed in the cup... because now, the cup will turn.. and you have slick plastic on plastic that allows for ultra easy "twist" of the spring. The 10° of twist will never generate enough heat to fuse them together... and, if you have a clutch that gets so hot you are melting the delrin washers together... You have MUCH MUCH bigger problems that you should address before you are worrying about melting these.

Thats my two cents.

Last edited:
A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
I've wondered about using a thrust bearing like that for years, but never sourced one. Do they recommend any kind of lube for it? Graphite maybe?

Instructions call for a light coat of wd40, there is a steel washer that goes down first then the bearing and the spring cup on top.

I think there was a aftermarket bearing like this used in the diamond drive? Called shift assist?

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
I am running the Carl's bearing with zero issues and it definitely works better. It is an inexpensive piece. I don't mind if I have to replace it periodically because it is an improvement over the washers.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I am running the Carl's bearing with zero issues and it definitely works better. It is an inexpensive piece. I don't mind if I have to replace it periodically because it is an improvement over the washers.

I agree, big improvement. I now am selling them too in Calgary along with Carl's clutching and even the machined and balanced new clutch. It's just that good.

SayatodaU.P.eh?

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2008
Michigan

IMO....As far as the delrin washers for the Secondary TSS clutches....

The purpose of the delrin washers is to allow one end of the spring to slightly rotate, smoothly, as the springs cycles through its compression stroke.

The stock cup does not allow this as the end of the spring digs into the cup and the friction on the steel cup to the sheave keeps it in place.

Both ends of the spring do not need to rotate.... just needs to keep the spring from binding on the 10° or so of twist needed.

If you place the delrin washer between the cup and spring, the spring will dig into the soft delrin washer ... not enough to ruin it... but it will have a pressure point on at the spring end.... I know that many have used them IN the cup for years and are happy with it... I was not.

SO... I run two UNDER the spring cup... it does not matter if the spring stays fixed in the cup... because now, the cup will turn.. and you have slick plastic on plastic that allows for ultra easy "twist" of the spring. The 10° of twist will never generate enough heat to fuse them together... and, if you have a clutch that gets so hot you are melting the delrin washers together... You have MUCH bigger problems.

Thats my two cents.

My thoughts, and how I set mine up, exactly.

Premium Features