• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Piston to cylinder clearance on sleeved cylinder with turbo

S
Nov 9, 2008
Finland
So, as the title says, been wondering if you should use a looser clearance when under pressure.

My Ultra has 800cc big bore sleeves with Wisecos, and I´m planning on boosting it. Should I add some clearance or is it unnecessary?

Will be a pump gas, standard compression kind of thing. Maybe a small intercooler, if I decide to up the octane on a nice sunday.

Are there any problems to be had with sleeved cylinders combined with turbocharging? Thermal expansion rates etc?

And a question to everyone who´s turboed a triple: single or triple pipe?
If one or the other, why? Ease of tuning (single), greater hp (triple) etc. Especially all turboed XCR800:s, do they always run triple pipes?

A
Nov 26, 2007
Years ago Dynotech tried to turbo an Ultra without any luck. It made pretty much the same power as the tripple pipes 150 range. Now that was with the crappy single pipe which was about as bad as you can get. All the other tripples that I have seen that are turboed aftert the xlt's and 650's have had the tripple pipes. The 800 tripples were making i the range of 300 hp when boosted.

S
Nov 9, 2008
Finland
I thought so too, since there are no single pipes for the late Poo triples anyway.

I read somewhere that triple-triples are a bit finiccy to set up, guess that´s something I´ll have to live with.

Premium Features