• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Injector lead color related to turbo issues

keithw

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2010
This morning I discovered another rider with the same 2016 axys and silber kit who's motor went down. Ironically enough there is another sled in his group that is the same setup that runs perfect.

As we have been diving into my issues and investigating my motor there are two things that were clear. I suffered damage from DET and appears my top end runability challenges look like fuel delivery was an issue.

Which leads me to wonder about injectors. The only known difference between my sled and my buddies is injector lead color. Mine is red, his is yellow. In the case of this other rider...same thing.

So that is the long way to the question...For those of you with more experience could there be enough difference between the injectors that when you add boost the "red" injectors cannot deliver enough fuel?

I would think this is taken care of with ecu programming/mapping, but maybe not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
This is a great question.

I do know the factory ECU map's are dependent upon year, engine size, and injector color.

What surprises me is the fact that Polaris is still running different color (flow) injectors on Mountain sleds. What dictates the different injectors?

Are there any differences at all between your sled and your buddies? Track length? E-Start? Anything? Snow-check, non Snow-Check?

keithw

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2010
Only difference is gauge. He has the nicer gauge and I have the standard gauge. Other than that, sleds are identical.

D

doudea

Sep 20, 2009
Western Slope
My understanding is that the same injectors can slight differences in flow characteristics, and Polaris groups the injectors by color. The ECUs for each sled are matched to the injector color, because the fuel mapping is slightly different based on the color.

My understanding is with the new electronic oil pump on the Axys platform, the ECUs are now matched the to flow category that oil pumps fall into.

So basically each ECU has mapping that is matched to the injectors and injection oil pump.

keithw

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2010
So based on that, does anyone know if silber adjusts their mapping accordingly? I would assume they do.

keithw

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2010
Seen same issue with Yellow injectors, color is not the issue.

So that leads me back to trying to pin down the fueling issue. I started with DET (poor fuel) + overboost and in to just over boost (which I think was pipe sensor related) and then with new sensor put in ended up with lean out and kaboom and cylinder melting down.

Are you saying you have seen these same issues on other Axys silber setups?

T
Aug 8, 2011
How does your fuel pressure compare to your buddies?

A pretty darn slight fuel pressure difference between sleds will radically alter fueling

P

polarisboyc

Aug 10, 2009
Utah
Check your wiring harness above the clutch cover too, my local silber dealer told me he's got 10 sleds in right now with DET issues and he's relaying it all to that harness. Says water gets in there and causing the exhaust valves not to open all the way making it run hotter. I pulled the head on my sled and the pistons showed signs of DET.

T
Aug 8, 2011
Oh man if the valves don't pull all the way up it would want to build heat bad. Typically you could see signs of that when it squeaked though, exhaust side edge of the piston will lay over a bit

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
So that leads me back to trying to pin down the fueling issue. I started with DET (poor fuel) + overboost and in to just over boost (which I think was pipe sensor related) and then with new sensor put in ended up with lean out and kaboom and cylinder melting down.

Are you saying you have seen these same issues on other Axys silber setups?

Seen the same on a stock sled. PTO side, wondering about these exhaust valves.

P

polarisboyc

Aug 10, 2009
Utah
My buddy just lost his motor at 750 miles. All stock and they said the injector leaned it out. I'm thinking it was the exhaust valves, not the injector. Throw some dielectric greece in that harness for sure

keithw

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2010
Exhaust side of my piston was where the most damage was as well. I will see what I can round up in pictures and post them up.

keithw

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2010
32235bb8e51929b02b4ede65d5a4697d.jpg

This is the bottom of the case. Going back tomorrow to post up more picks.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Check your wiring harness above the clutch cover too, my local silber dealer told me he's got 10 sleds in right now with DET issues and he's relaying it all to that harness. Says water gets in there and causing the exhaust valves not to open all the way making it run hotter. I pulled the head on my sled and the pistons showed signs of DET.

Hmmmm I bet you local dealer Is Cycles and Sleds..
Colin is a very good at what he does.....:thumb:

Premium Features