• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help me a bit with suspension adjustments

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
First thing I did was to stiffen up the rear suspension on my pro 163, as it was bottoming out sometimes with my 210lbs self in the bumps. Stiffened up the rear track spring and front track spring equally and not to any crazy extent. Not more bottoming, also took some of the wheelie out of it. No prob.

BUT, I'm having problems with it wanting to dive downhill in off-camber situations. Say you're on a downhill that slopes off down to the left, and you want to initiate a turn to the right....it wants to load the front left corner and suck you down the hill. Needs a lot of body english to go back up. Just of note, swaybar is in and the skiis are set at the widest.

I'm thinking to narrow the skiis one setting, stiffen the front suspension a bit and possibly stiffen the front track spring or loosen off the rear track spring a bit. Does that sound like the correct thinking?

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
The stock shocks are a problem. The rear shock WILL bottom when setup properly (which I've found is right where they recommend); I'm not at all happy with the stock valving (Polaris if you're reading - RAMP them UP at the end of travel and ADD bottom out bumpers!!!). The center shock needs some pressure to get that rocking horse effect and allow you to initiate the countersteer for these manuevers. I've got mine at about 7/8" in from all the way out and weigh 175 (another thread has a guy that weighs 220 and 1" in so that's about right). Pull the bar and tighten up the front shocks until you lose the body roll or just what you can live with (tho this isn't as critical as getting the shock preload correct). Narrow to middle stance depending on your body's c of g. NEW sled then!

Have FUN!

G MAN

Last edited:
M

majhano

Feb 1, 2010
i am 175. rear track shock is at 10.25 inches. front track shock has 1 inch of threads at the bottom showing. about 13 of them. this gives it a great pivot point so can wheelie on the bumps but stays flat on top of the snow. when the track shocks were looser i was trenching more. the front ski shocks are set about half way. works great for me. i think there is more weight on the right side of the sled so i think everything is easier to tip going to the left. may be part of what you are feeling? good luck. what a sled!

Premium Features