• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

DET Code 23

S

Sno Junkie

Jan 7, 2008
We finally got some snow to go out and ride the roads. I have a 2009 M8 BD PG with EBC, no intercooler, 3 degree timing control module, Speedwerx turbo pipe and a 2010 head.
I am throwing a DET code 23 while running down the road in the mid-range. Normal on/off throttle riding and WOT, it never throws the code. I hardly ever ride roads (thank God!)...but I would like to figure this out.
I am running 8.5 PSI at 7000 feet. BD #'s are 22/34/48. Duty cycle is 95%. Temps are under 1250 on EGT's and A/F guage is in the high 11's and low 12's while in the mid-range.
It threw it twice today. Both times were wide open roads just cruising.

My plan is to add a little more fuel in the mid and see what happens. I am wondering if the timing control module is backing it off enough on the top for 8.5 PSI, but I have too much timing in the mid?

Edit...I checked everything when I got home. Pistons look great. Sensor is tight.

Last edited:
S

Sno Junkie

Jan 7, 2008
91 octane. I just put new fuel in it at the end of October. It is garaged, so I don't think the 3 months would change the octane (not sure though)...however that did cross my mind.

M

m8lovin

Aug 29, 2010
vernon bc
Try mixing in some race fuel and see if its still throwing your det. Did you try turning your boost down? Or is 8# as low as your actuator will allow?

S

Sno Junkie

Jan 7, 2008
No, i can go down. I was at 9.0 and threw the code in the first 5 miles. I lowered it to 8.5 and then rode another 20 miles without throwing the code...however it was on narrower fire roads with lots of turns, so I was on/off the throttle. When I go back on the main road is when it threw the code again.

S

Sno Junkie

Jan 7, 2008
Talked to BD this am. BTW...those guys have been awesome. Great tech support. I am a total newbie to this turbo thing and they have always been super helpful.
Anyhow, they think I am over-reving going down the open groomed fire road. That would make sense. I did see 8350 on the BD box.
I will test and see.

Ricks 32

Premium Member
Aug 26, 2008
Idaho
Keep in mind that when you are buzzing down the trail you are putting the most load on your track that you will possibly see during a days ride. I've noticed on many turboed sleds and even my M1000 that when on the trail (or a hard packed surface) my EGT's are the highest. I've been on a PG BD Dragon with EGT's and an AFR and seen EGT's at 1300 with an AFR at 13 in the mid range while cruising down the trail. The DET light came on too.

I tune my TM8 for off trail performance and I take it easy on the trail. I tuned a TDragon on the trail once and found that I had to take a bunch of fuel away once I got off the trail.

Hopefully I'm not too far off here. This has been my experience.

S

Sno Junkie

Jan 7, 2008
Keep in mind that when you are buzzing down the trail you are putting the most load on your track that you will possibly see during a days ride. I've noticed on many turboed sleds and even my M1000 that when on the trail (or a hard packed surface) my EGT's are the highest. I've been on a PG BD Dragon with EGT's and an AFR and seen EGT's at 1300 with an AFR at 13 in the mid range while cruising down the trail. The DET light came on too.

I tune my TM8 for off trail performance and I take it easy on the trail. I tuned a TDragon on the trail once and found that I had to take a bunch of fuel away once I got off the trail.

Hopefully I'm not too far off here. This has been my experience.

I think you are spot on. The suggestion made by BD was to lower the boost when running down the hardpacked and then when you get to your destination..turn it up. Very easy to do with the EBC. They also mentioned using the X2 option on the EBC, but i am not familiar with that. I am going to look into it.

S

Sno Junkie

Jan 7, 2008
Lowering the boost helped down the trail. HOWEVER...we finally got some real snow and I was able to finally keep it pinned on some climbs. Anything over 6.8 PSI and I throw a DET code 23. Threw it about 10 times today. Checked everything at home and motor is happy, pistons look great.
BD thinks it is because of the ethonal in our fuel here locally. Going to mix in some race and see if it goes away.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Yes, mix in some race. Be careful because 23 is a hard detonation code. 21 is light. You don't want to throw a 23 too often or you may have some engine damage. You should be fine as you said, you checked pistons and they were OK.

S

Sno Junkie

Jan 7, 2008
Yes, mix in some race. Be careful because 23 is a hard detonation code. 21 is light. You don't want to throw a 23 too often or you may have some engine damage. You should be fine as you said, you checked pistons and they were OK.

Thanks, Eric. I have never seen a code 21. No big deal to mix some race.
BTW..I tied running the 38/42 torsional and even though it worked pretty well. The sled still seemed happier to run the stock 36. Thank you for your help.

MikeM1000

Lifetime Membership
Oct 29, 2011
new to det sensors as i have had a M10 till my TM8 what does a 07 gauge show when it dets is it digital or check engine flash, just a dumb newbie here needing help

S

SHOP!

Apr 21, 2011
MT. baker
21 Engine detonated and the ECU pulled timing and it fixed the problem and 23 the sled detonated and ECU couldn't fix the problem not good. If you get to many 23's its not good. If you can imagine taking a hammer to the top of your piston that's basically what it is doing and weakening the ring-lands and skirts. Might be your fuel but on your next ride I would bring 3 gal of av gas or 110 and if it goes off again dump it in and see what it does.
Could just be a lean spot around 6-7k.

R
Aug 30, 2008
Rocky Mountians
Lowering the boost helped down the trail. HOWEVER...we finally got some real snow and I was able to finally keep it pinned on some climbs. Anything over 6.8 PSI and I throw a DET code 23. Threw it about 10 times today. Checked everything at home and motor is happy, pistons look great.
BD thinks it is because of the ethonal in our fuel here locally. Going to mix in some race and see if it goes away.

With a 2010 head you have a notable increase in compression.

I run at 10,000+ @ 6.7 with 2 gals of 100 oct to fight off ethonol. If I turn the boost to anything past 7 I start to get 21 randomly (With a 3 degree module). I could probably get a little higher but I am allready at 92% duty. I would rather have the internal compensation for really cold days without hitting 99%

I rarely hit over 8000 RPM

Premium Features