• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

React "all-new geometry"

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
www.alternativeimpact.com
This is in another post, that I'm waiting on a response from Matt. I have a personal opinion on what the answer is but it's purely speculation so I'll not say anything until I know. I'm hoping to have a sled in the shop within the next few weeks to confirm. Ya gotta love the internet, ya just have to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado_matt View Post
We have been running a couple of them and extremely impressed in every way. Both of these currently have 700-800 miles on them. I have been sharing videos on my Facebook page of me riding them. Here is a live video we did on the mountain with a group of 4 that got to spend a day switching back and forth to for their own opinions based on them own experience. Each of them currently ride 16 or 17 AXYS with aftermarket 36" front ends. I'm happy to answer any questions.

https://www.facebook.com/mattentzsno...3402415782427/
Just some questions I have based upon the video and what's been posted on the interweb... Not being sarcastic but you can obviously see the brand of aftermarket arms on the sled front and center but cannot see the sleds in the back. I'm going to go out on a thin limb here and sort of be the ambassador for "all" aftermarket 36" kits. The riders say it's a better all-around feel on the 850, better in every way. You have to assume they are all setup properly as per the manufacturers guidelines? I ask this because I see this alot as in a customer that orders a front end kit, has some issues and calls. After a conversation and then pictures sent we figure out they really weren't properly installed. The list of dids and didn't dos is too lengthy to get into. Long and short is Polaris says "ALL NEW GEOMETRY". Now does this mean they changed camber, caster, spindle position as in forward or back, or did they simply pull them in 3"? Again just asking.

FactoryAir1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Naked eye perception: the spindles appear to be stretched a bit further forward, mocking the Skinz Concept. Which would make sense as Burandt has been advocating this geometry change for some time now and well.....Poo tends to take his advice ��

Regardless, it's a big piece of the mystery pie that I'm hoping comes out before snow check is over.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
picture.php

picture.php

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
In itself... the new REACT™ 37" IFS is "All new Geometry" by way of just being narrower.

I do not believe that the spindle angle has been 'raked' fwd at all.

New geometry... the arms would need to be angled down a bit more to maintain ride height.... OR the spindles would need to be slightly longer... 'NEW GEOMETRY'

The shock would need to be mounted at a different angle with the base-eye closer to the bulkhead.... 'NEW GEOMETRY'

The arms are shorter... 'NEW GEOMETRY'

Tie rods are shorter.... 'NEW GEOMETRY'

Just my 2¢

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
So it appears that all this "new" front end geometry is just a narrower stance. Narrower front ends rock, welcome to the future Polaris, we've been waiting for you ;)

Latitude 62

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 29, 2008
Summit Lake, Alaska
Some of us in the "Great North"live above treeline, and therefore, ride the mountains and open terrain. We only venture down into the trees in low light conditions to play. Not sure on the narrower front end for us, but, I have been running the 16 at 39" and can run the 19 at 38", so don't see it as a negative.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
I thought if you owned an Axys all you did was ride the knarliest sidehills all day?

I really don't like to ride tight steep tree sections like Matt Entz does... I'm no where near the level of rider that it take to do that on a regular basis. :face-icon-small-sho

I can get through it if I have to...but it's not my thing.

But I do like the narrow fronts on the sleds as a lighter rider.

Does mountainhorse even ride?
???

I'm beginning to wonder that myself

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
It is not just about a narrower front end being easier to pull over, Comparing a wide sled and a narrow stance sled in a sidehill, the narrower will keep the track more parallel to the hill. The wider the ski stance the less track actually contacts the hill. If you exaggerate the idea imagine a sled with 4ft wide stance sled on its side, only the very back edge of the track would touch the floor. The narrower sled can panel out easier though as it is not being held at a distance from the hill. Obviously we are discussing small changes but I believe the narrower sleds will have more traction when pitched onto one ski. Especially in harder snow.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I really don't like to ride tight steep tree sections like Matt Entz does... I'm no where near the level of rider that it take to do that on a regular basis. :face-icon-small-sho

I can get through it if I have to...but it's not my thing.

But I do like the narrow fronts on the sleds as a lighter rider.

I'm beginning to wonder that myself

One thing that I think is interesting is that when the Axys originally came out and people were going to 36” stances Matt Entz was steering people away from them hard because “the Axys doesn’t need a narrow front end and these sleds were designed for a 39” stance, blah blah blah”... or something like that. And here we are in 2019 and you NEED to have an 850 with the 36” react :face-icon-small-hap

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
One thing that I think is interesting is that when the Axys originally came out and people were going to 36” stances Matt Entz was steering people away from them hard because “the Axys doesn’t need a narrow front end and these sleds were designed for a 39” stance, blah blah blah”... or something like that. And here we are in 2019 and you NEED to have an 850 with the 36” react :face-icon-small-hap

Yeah it’s amazing how some people are actually able to change their minds about what they prefer.
Probably the first time it’s ever happened in the history of sleds........

I mean why would someone even do that??
It’s like the guy rode sleds a certain way for a couple years, then tried something new and liked it? Crazy I know.........

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
Yeah it’s amazing how some people are actually able to change their minds about what they prefer.

It’s like the guy rode sleds a certain way for a couple years, then tried something new and liked it? Crazy I know.........

Kind of like me trying all the different brands of sleds from year to year and still riding Polaris. I ride it for a reason, it is far easier to ride and goes more places in my type of terrain. Until someone builds a better sled I will still be on Polaris.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010

LOL, how dare he. Hes been running aftermarket 36 kits for a year or two... so changed his mind for what ever reason. Don’t care though, just funny since we have been riding the same way a few years.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Kind of like me trying all the different brands of sleds from year to year and still riding Polaris. I ride it for a reason, it is far easier to ride and goes more places in my type of terrain. Until someone builds a better sled I will still be on Polaris.
Haha, same reason i keep buying Cats, just a better, more capable sled.

Ken Climb

Premium Member
Looks like the same gumbo lower a arms. I don’t know how Polaris gets away with making such week a arms. Just like the Aro Timbersled spindle. Those things are a joke how flimsy they are..... a dangerous liability on the snow.
Sold my axys and am gonna cut Polaris loose for now. Who knows, seems like better value in the cats right now. Team clutch’s, killer shocks, 3” tracks that don’t blow apart, no electrical gremlins and they handle just as good as a poo now but much stronger.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Haha, same reason i keep buying Cats, just a better, more capable sled.

Super capable... in the flats, if you’re into that kind of thing :face-icon-small-hap

Last edited:
Premium Features