• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snowbikes....any quieter options yet?

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
I find that if you cut silly lines and make the bike perform, then the backcountry skiers dont mind the noise. Even made a couple cute ones smile today! Sorry but a 500exc isnt as exciting as my 450sx with yosh.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
oh that roar

noisey sno bike issue was really smack in my face yesterday. two sno bikes and 4 sleds in a huge snow choked valley. three of us sitting at noon on an overlook, we could see the sleds a mile away playing on a steep hill, could barely hear them climbing, just a few sounds when they would turn out of a climb.

the two sno bikes riding cross country above the playing sleds, wow, at a mile or more when the throttle jockey's jumped some snow mounds, sounded like they were right there beside us. never saw the bikes tree riding but we could follow their location all afternoon as we rode across the valley. Sadly I was also riding with two mx snow bikes, no one could of missed us either.

its a fast way to get a bad rap for the sport. we will soon see the loud bikes outlawed.

ravenous

Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2013
I find that if you cut silly lines and make the bike perform, then the backcountry skiers dont mind the noise. Even made a couple cute ones smile today! Sorry but a 500exc isnt as exciting as my 450sx with yosh.
Haha. Thats a great one! Just for a second I thought you were serious. Hope you got the girls phone numbers. They must have thought you were quite the stud.:face-icon-small-con

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
My WR with the Yosh Pipe was and is still way louder than my YZ with the stock pipe. So Yes the Yosh is real loud in my experience anyway. 2 stroke definitely is a quieter option especially if you get a long muffler. It is way easier to reduce the noise on a 2 stroke and the same decibel output up close will barely carry 1/2 as far as the 4 stroke noise. Besides 2 strokes sound sexy :face-icon-small-ton However I will wait for the 300 balanced engine with EFI I ride a 250 as my woods bike and am way to spoiled to ever go with a 2stroke that is not balanced -- it is simply uncivilized once you have had a balanced 2 stroke.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
The rs6 is the Yoshimira system that I run. Modern mx race systems are quieter than they used to be. Not saying that they aren't stupid loud. And carry for days. Hopefully I will have one of the first BRC 500 conversions in my smoker come March. They make Hp at 6700rpm. Which makes me think I could run a Q sparky and not lose much. That would be nice.

R
Apr 18, 2016
Excuse my ignorance whats the BRC conversion? I assume a 500cc two stroke on maybe a KTM bottom end or something.

I am loving my CR500 this year, really have it all worked out, nice and quiet, tons of power with a hot rod reed spaced V force 2..carb heat is working perfect, tunnel cooler works great. super happy.

I don't really get the vibes thing, maybe because I've been riding 500's since 1988. snow bike...500, single tracker.... 500 in a 250x frame, sand.... fully ported out every trick in the book 500 that will put the tire in your nose any time, any gear, anywhere. Love these things!!!!

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Excuse my ignorance whats the BRC conversion? I assume a 500cc two stroke on maybe a KTM bottom end or something.

I am loving my CR500 this year, really have it all worked out, nice and quiet, tons of power with a hot rod reed spaced V force 2..carb heat is working perfect, tunnel cooler works great. super happy.

I don't really get the vibes thing, maybe because I've been riding 500's since 1988. snow bike...500, single tracker.... 500 in a 250x frame, sand.... fully ported out every trick in the book 500 that will put the tire in your nose any time, any gear, anywhere. Love these things!!!!

BRC is a 500cc conversion for ktm 250 , 300 bikes. Counterbalanced , and using cr5 rod and piston.

Premium Features