• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

High Mileage vs Crank

K
May 4, 2002
Maple Valley W.A.
I have an 02 VE 800 with 3200 miles on it. It has the original crank and the motor has not been cracked open. I read and hear all the crank issues with these although do you keep running it or crack it open? Tough decision right at the start of the season.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
You check your runout and make your decision on that factor. Mileage alone is not what you base that decision on.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
I have an 02 VE 800 with 3200 miles on it. It has the original crank and the motor has not been cracked open. I read and hear all the crank issues with these although do you keep running it or crack it open? Tough decision right at the start of the season.

How many belts have you snapped/exploded where the tach just burried? If none, I would ride it. Mine crank finally let go at a little over 4000 miles but I have exploded numorous belts over the years. That is really really hard on the cranks. It is a guessing game for sure. There are alot of guys with 5-10,000 on them that have not lost cranks either.

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
Like breeze said mileage is not a reason to go on alone. I have had two of those motors, and in my opp. it is not if but when. I had one go at 2200 and the other at 4800 both stock. One thing that I know for sure is that I had to replace the case as well as all the other wrecked parts. It is way cheaper to rebuild before it goes. If you wait it will cost you around 2200 bucks if you lost the skirts on your jugs. That is worse case you could get off cheaper!!

Just my two penny's

K
May 4, 2002
Maple Valley W.A.
I used to know the runout tolerances for the crank but I forgot. The last edge I did runout on was about 5 years ago. The sled I just aquired as I let my XP go. The prior owner I knew well and said never tore up a belt and no issues. Funny how if the crank goes its the price of the whole sled!

R
Nov 27, 2007
Newport, WA
I think the spec is .002" max.
Actually, 0.003" IIRC, but that's nearly splitting hairs. What's important is to make sure you have a nice, solid mount with the dial indicator (hard to pull off from my experience) and measure the runout at the crank seal, not on the end. I was going to get the bearing mod done on mine this year (about 2800 miles) but no funds in sight so I'm just going to run it and cross my fingers and toes.

J

Jakepol800

Nov 26, 2007
Baker City, Or
I have a 2002 800 with 5000ish miles no speedo and I talked to indydan and he said rebuild the whole crank or ride it tell it goes. I keep up on my clutch and look at my belt all the time i hope i will make it one more year. If not i will update something. Crank or whole sled we will see.

F
Dec 5, 2009
I had a 2002 800 xc blow up on me last year. it has 5100 miles on it. the middle bearing in the crank seized. the crank case was warped and i had to send it to slp to have it line bored. the crank was rebuilt with all new bearing a tough boy bearing on the end and new rods. one of the pistons was close to detonations so i replaced both pistons as well. i basically replaced everything that was boarderline. the whole deal cost me 1400$. if it was me i would take it apart now. the case is probably fine and won't have to be line bored. might only end up cost you 5-800 because the pistons should be fine. 500 for the rebuilt crank. 100 for other parts...gaskets, etc.... 50$ to have the jugs re-honed. plus you get to clean everything and make it look like new again.

A
Sep 24, 2009
clinton ny
4400 miles on my pro x2 800. Indydan told me if im not a mountain rider, get the clutch balanced. Check the runout on the crank. If its good then put everything back together and let er rip. Balancing your primary can be a huge help depending on if you get to it in time. SLP does it for 57 bucks and that includes a professional cleaning. If these sleds came from the factory with a balanced clutch there is a possibility we wouldnt not be hearing as much about this. AT THE LEAST balance your clutch. Im in the same boat and do not want to for over 500-1200 dollars to get it perfect. Sucks to spend that much on a sled that is only worth 3000. Ill do it if it happens though as the 800 x2 is the only sled i will ride for a long time.. love it. GL!!!:face-icon-small-coo

Premium Features