• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Secondary on 2011 PRO TSS-98 or TSS-04?

R

Rocketboy

Nov 27, 2008
I got the SLP clutch alignment tool and I was going to do my clutches....

First I had to pull the primary and take of the starter gear ring. Tool still don't fit all that well being there is not much room to the front of the primary.

Any how I am wondering which clutch it is as they have different offset when using the SLP tool.

Thanks

S
Dec 27, 2007
Aberdeen, SD
You would have the 04. I am sure you know that the primary is balanced with the ring gear installed, so at the least, needs to go back on like it was. Another time, it would be easier to borrow a Polaris clutch tool, as they are designed to use with or without ring gear. Hope this helps.

SD

R

Rocketboy

Nov 27, 2008
I did mark the ring gear so it will go back on the way it was. Wish I had known the Polaris one would work with e-start and the SLP one don't before I got it.

R

Rocketboy

Nov 27, 2008
Wow- I need to twist my motor!!

SLP guide says I need to have a .100" gap at the front and .140" gap at the back. I have .110 at the front and .190 at the back.

Have you had to twist your motor that much? Wondering how well you can really twist this motor the way it is mounted.... seems that it will want to just pull back to the original position......

Thanks

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Your going to twist your motor for .030"? I wouldn't bother. 30 thousandths won't make any difference.

sled_guy

Wow- I need to twist my motor!!

SLP guide says I need to have a .100" gap at the front and .140" gap at the back. I have .110 at the front and .190 at the back.

Have you had to twist your motor that much? Wondering how well you can really twist this motor the way it is mounted.... seems that it will want to just pull back to the original position......

Thanks

R

Rocketboy

Nov 27, 2008
I would need to twist .050". I need to go from .190 to .140.

Still not worth the bother?

I did have to shim the secondary out about .065 just to get it that close.

R

rcbc

Sep 27, 2011
Salmon arm
mines further out than yours and its running fine. no belt probs yet. clutches are cool with no vents. It was bad enough I just about puked in the belly pan.

R

Rocketboy

Nov 27, 2008
mines further out than yours and its running fine. no belt probs yet. clutches are cool with no vents. It was bad enough I just about puked in the belly pan.

How many miles you got on a belt?

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
Man I just aligned my 09' assault P-85/TSS-04 with the slp tool you are using. Mine was "off" about the same amount. I changed to the slp specs. (.100"/.140") After 50 miles my 3211115 belt started coming apart. Starting to wonder if the SLP gauge is right. Polaris has a tool? My dealer sold me a western power sports tool for a button clutch, then I ordered the slp one... Still not right. Damn!

FYI
TSS-04. Has 4 bolts holding on helix
TSS-98. Has 8 helix bolts.

Easy way to tell....

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
Just ordered another WPS tool that matches the P-85/TSS-04. The Polaris tool is $200. WTF?

Straightline Performance has a universal tool but you have to know the offset. And it does not lock on to the primary, leaving a margin for error if you twist it.

I did not have any belt issues until I realigned with SLP tool. Added mods so I wanted to be sure alignment is correct. Something is fishy.

Premium Features