• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'07 Venture Lite

Bought this off a buddy this spring w/ 750 miles on it. Reverse is not doing a damn thing, no lights, no sounds of anything trying to engage, nothing. Fuse is good but I know nothing about this thing. Keep hearing about something needing to be shimmed? Any help would be great, all the bouncing and rocking has no effect at all

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
Electronic shift right? If the servo isn't making noise and the fuse is good I would pull out the voltmeter and see what wires are getting power. With no lights flashing or sound I would check everything from the switch to the chain case. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Snowmixer

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2014
Snohomish, WA
First of all, welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your purchase of the Venture Lite! I hope it will be a good sled for you once this is all worked out.

Regarding the shimming that you keep hearing about, it's probably in reference to shimming the secondary clutch a bit to keep the sheaves off the belt at idle. This way, the secondary/jackshaft doesn't have any tension on it from the belt and will be free to move a small amount to allow the servo/gearmotor to shift between gears. From what you described, I am thinking that this is not the nature of your problem. I wish there were an easier way to diagnose this, but I think motojunkie is right, it's going to take some testing.

On the reverse gearbox, there is a sensor/switch on each side that give a signal to confirm that the shift has taken place and the gears are fully engaged. I'm not sure how it would happen, but I would imagine that if somehow the gearmotor got stopped somewhere between the two, it wouldn't know where to go and would just sit there, with no forward or reverse light lit up on the display. I would think it would also be physically stuck between gears, though it may be possible to have enough engagement on forward (or reverse) that the sled will move forward under power just fine, but not enough engagement to trip the sensor/switch and turn on the 'forward' light on the display.

I've attached a couple of pictures showing the location of the forward and reverse switches, though they're not what I would call easily accessible. One is somewhat hidden under the corner of the chaincase cover and the other is on the 'inside' of the sled, near the exhaust, most easily accessible with the fuel tank removed. If you need another excuse to open up the sled this far, checking/changing the spark plugs as well as the exhaust 'donuts' can also only be done with the fuel tank removed. You will also have good access to the main power connection for the gearmotor once the fuel tank is removed. For the other switch, you could get to it a little easier with the chaincase cover removed, which would be a good time to replace the gear oil and check the tension.

I've also attached a .PDF file which includes a schematic and some troubleshooting techniques. It also looks like there are 3 separate relays used by the reverse gearmotor during the shifting process, so it may be easiest to test those first in case they are at fault. That way you won't have to tear into the sled as much. The relays should be right near the battery if I remember correctly. Good luck, and I hope this helps!

GearboxForwardSensor.jpg GearboxReverseSensor.jpg

Attachments

• ReverseTroubleshootingGuide.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 335
Haven't had a chance to dig into sled, but have discovered if I ride around for 15-20 min reverse will start working fine. shut it off & let it cool for 20 min & no more reverse. Dealer says it's more than likely it needs to be shimmed. Any idea what spec is on that or what sensor he's talking about? Thanks

Snowmixer

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2014
Snohomish, WA
Sorry for the delayed response!

So let me get this straight...if you try to use reverse initially after you just started the sled and it's cold, there are no sounds, lights, etc...but then after riding 15-20 minutes, it somehow starts to work? If that's the case, I would lean more towards an electrical malfunction such as a broken wire or loose connection, something that could begin working randomly as the sled is bounced around a bit while riding.

It just seems odd to me that there would be no sounds or the reverse light on the gauge pod trying to come on, if it were just a mechanical problem. I can still only imagine that the shimming your dealer referred to is regarding the shimming of the secondary clutch to get the belt to ride correctly so that there is no tension on the jackshaft when you're sitting idle, trying to shift into reverse.

mystery

yep, that's it! Stays in D, no lights, sounds or anything. Once warmed up it shifts great. I can hit R repeatedly & it works like a champ. Shifts w good amount of force that I can feel in the sled. But once it cools off, nothing again until I ride for 20 min. Replaced case oil last night, looked at pulling servo to look for...I don't know, but 3rd forward bolt is about impossible to get to w/o really tearing things apart. Pulled out little sensor below servo & it seemed to be fine, no water or gunk on it. Things been in my garage for 2 days, plenty warm, but if put tank back on & fire it up it still won't engage after dropping off high idle. Got a younger(I'm 48) buddy coming over today to take a look at it. About to say the hell w it & just deal w it.
:face-icon-small-con

Fixed! Sort of...

Well, found something on another forum, it's not "fixed", but at least I know the problem. TPS! Turn key off, set throttle wide open, turn key back on & let fuel pump cycle, let throttle go back to idle, start sled & reverse now works!! Need to adjust TPS, but it's 17 above (F) & I want to go ride!!
:face-icon-small-hap

Premium Features