• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'07 Crossfire 800 Electrical Demons

A
Feb 28, 2022
Hawick, MN
Hey All,
New to the group and hopeful you'll be willing to help me out. I'm at a loss for solutions. '07 crossfire 800 4500 miles. Starts and runs great, but most of the time have no gauge, headlights, or tail light. Then occasionally it all pops on for a short bit and back off again. Visually inspected wiring and harness and all is well. I'm not too savvy with electrical items so its all a learning game for me. The fact that it goes in/out gives me hope but I'm worried about driving it and frying something like the ECU if its the VR/CCU that's going bad? And, no lights doesn't keep things safe.

No aftermarket items except a secondary clutch mod from previous owner.

It has a 3007-347 square ECU with the recall update performed.

Any input on to what could be happening? Thanks!

A
Feb 28, 2022
Hawick, MN
Update - tried a different VR/CCU out of an '09 at dinner time. (updated part number 0630-246 which is 07-09 compatible)

Made no difference. All dark from start.

Now leaning towards a bad stator and will check .08 - .12 ohms on the lighting coil spec tonight.

M

Moon SOB

Oct 13, 2016
Yes it could be the stator but usually when their bad they are dead completely and not intermittent. Sounds more like a lose connection. Check your engine/frame electrical grounds.
Intermittent problems are hard to find if it happens when out riding but seems OK when you get back to investigate! Good luck.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I've had stators go bad both ways. One died completely and the other got weak and was causing problems.

A
Feb 28, 2022
Hawick, MN
Upon removing the old stator, there were two wires that had been smashed during I would assume original install on the inside of the stator against the shaft flange. Somehow worked up until now and finally gave out. I installed the SPI aftermarket replacement and it works flawlessly. The limp mode it seemed to be in to maintain engine safety quit (had lower power and was over oiling. some safety built in to ensure you don't blow it up when the electrical system goes down??) and all guages/lights function. Thanks for the responses.

Premium Features