• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Something just hit me.....Who is really running this place?

I am so tired of being called a Hippie because I live in Ca! GET OVER IT!!! I'm a typical snowmobiler/4-wheeler/gun-loving/freedom-loving conservative republican. I was born in Northern CA (40 miles away from the NV border) and this is where I live. Doesn't mean I'm a S.F. or like Barbara Boxer. In fact, if I could move I would, but unfortunately I'm not rich and can't just leave whenever I want. I live my life day to day, even while this country quickly is going down the toilet.

Now that my rant is over - I'm curious about the site. I'm a relatively new user and still deciding whether to purchase a membership. It sounds like they have really screwed everyone up - everyone is fighting against eachother when we snowmobilers should be uniting to keep our trails open. Any other sites out there that people recommend? I love the idea of the forum, just don't like all the arguing and honestly, I'm not going to pay for something that I can't enjoy...

Yamadoo04

Premium Member
Oct 4, 2005
Herriman, Utah
www.youtube.com
Wow that was fast :face-icon-small-hap I guess I wont tell you were to go.....:face-icon-small-dis My Post was deleted. :face-icon-small-sad

BTW CatWoman did you like the shirts I sent to you?

Last edited:
B
Dec 16, 2007
Mammoth Lakes, CA
www.pbase.com
The emissions regulations coming out of Cali effects more then one might think. Try to buy a gas can that doesent have a stupid CARB complient nozzle. One better all the boys who run produce over the road now have to have CARB refer units, conversions run in the thousends. Who do you think is paying that ?

RV's generators, all of it

Mammoth has some cool areas, but the state as a whole can fall into the ocean

No carb nozzles on my VP Race jugs.
VP-round_jug.JPG

Yamadoo04

Premium Member
Oct 4, 2005
Herriman, Utah
www.youtube.com
You know what is really stupid is I spill more gas now with these new Moronic cans than I ever did with the old school ones. Without a flexible nossle how do you get it not to spill?

I need to get me some of those.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Heyburn Idaho
You know what is really stupid is I spill more gas now with these new Moronic cans than I ever did with the old school ones. Without a flexible nossle how do you get it not to spill?

I need to get me some of those.

if you go into a pluming store you can find a grey plastic fitting that fits the threads on the top of those cans then just get some flexible clear hose costs about a 2.00 you can have many on hand for the cost of one from the manufacture.
Now carry on with the bashing :face-icon-small-hap

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
if you go into a pluming store you can find a grey plastic fitting that fits the threads on the top of those cans then just get some flexible clear hose costs about a 2.00 you can have many on hand for the cost of one from the manufacture.
Now carry on with the bashing :face-icon-small-hap

He is referring to this crap.
http://www.enviroflospout.com/

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Seems real odd to me that christopher gets the blame when he is not the owner. He was hired to do a job and is getting it done. I don't really care for all the fancy stuff going on and think simpler is better, seems like extra stuff distracts people to different locations, at times I can see how its better though. Truth is to run this site its not cheap and it was losing money, no real business person would continue to run a business that looses money. On the other side, if you own a sled $30 for three years is such a minimal expense compared to sledding. Also if you don't want to pay, don't, you can find free info everywhere, some of use just like to find it here.

If money is so tight that $30 bucks is going to leave you pi$$ed and bitter. Then how about putting the blame where it should be, if I where to put it anywhere it would be on "OBOMA" and the other spenders.

Stick around its worth it. even if you don't pay.

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
Seems real odd to me that christopher gets the blame when he is not the owner. He was hired to do a job and is getting it done. I don't really care for all the fancy stuff going on and think simpler is better, seems like extra stuff distracts people to different locations, at times I can see how its better though. Truth is to run this site its not cheap and it was losing money, no real business person would continue to run a business that looses money. On the other side, if you own a sled $30 for three years is such a minimal expense compared to sledding. Also if you don't want to pay, don't, you can find free info everywhere, some of use just like to find it here.

If money is so tight that $30 bucks is going to leave you pi$$ed and bitter. Then how about putting the blame where it should be, if I where to put it anywhere it would be on "OBOMA" and the other spenders.

Do you really think that Christopher has had absolutly no voice? Have you taken the time to look at his other pay site?

And once again, it is not about the money! Christopher did not put all the knowledge onto Snowest, nor did Snowest, so why do they want 40,000 members to pay $30 for info that is not theirs? It's all about greed!! holy **** 1.2 million......nice payday for someone....Funny how other sites don't need 1.2 million to operate, cause if they did, you can bet your *** no forums would be free....CHA CHING

Last edited:

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO

How many times do we have to say it? It HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PRICE OF "MEMBERSHIP".

1, 10, 50,085 more times? When will people finally get that through their heads?

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
If it has nothing to do with the money then whats the problem, and if not then pay. Once paid tell me the difference of the forum from before. You can still do everything you did before and more. ???????
To add to that its not as slow as it was at times. The forum was booming: due to people wanting to save money and looking for info and just the simple fact word was getting out(people turn to cheap entertainment in a slow economy). The servers couldn't handle the load. There was one guy on here that said he did the pluming on a server building that would handle 56,000 active users and just the pluming to cool them was $600,000. Now add in all the other stuff. When you show me "Snowest forum" making more than a 25% profit (minimum markup on most products) from just this forum then you can say greed, tell then its business.
Further more from what I've read the site will pay for itself and the left overs go to snowmobile functions and associations. I would say only 43% will pay, if that so you just cut the money by more than half, Figure in the permits, civil work, electric, mechanical, structural, engineering, maintenance, and the man power to run it. Unless you own a business in this industry I think saying Greed is rather out of hand.

The argument that Snowest didn't put all the info on the forum is BS, in the big picture. We may have provided the info but they provided the site for us to use for free, all the while loosing money on the site and covering it with other income. If it wasn't for snowest the info wouldn't be here. YEAH, it may be somewhere else and thats how it is and you and I are welcome to it.
This site would have been cut from the budget eventually if not turned into a pay site. SO WHAT WOULD YOU PREFER The option to "pay" or "not to pay" and still have what we did before, or no snowest forum at all.

To say I want it back the way it was before, is like saying I want the old sled instead of the new one.(yeah right) the site was expanding and it had to change.

As close as it will get to being like it was before is for people to pick the right attitude, weather you are a giver or a taker. We still have control of that, and its what counts.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Wyoboy, you make a nice argument there. Now, I don't know squat about computers and won't pretend to. What I do know that there are other forums out there that are much bigger than SW and still free. Look at pirate4x4.com, they have almost 155,000 members!
If they are able to carry on as a free forum, then SW should be able to as well. The only other reason that makes sense to me is it was grossly mismanaged. This is the reason some businesses survive and others fail when under the same conditions.

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
Wyoboy, nothing you have said is based on any FACT. I know that Facebook has millions of users, and a way better user interface, **** man you can install dozens of apps on Facebook. Wait a minute it's facking free too, how do they do it Wyoboy???? By your logic if it cost $600,000.00 for 56,000 users, for just 1 million users which facebook has 10x more it would cost over $10 million for just the cooling. It cant be true, it just can't....lol

The truth is that Harris and Christopher can't competently run Snowest forums so they have resorted to stealing other peoples knowledge. I won't pay b/c most of the knowledgable people are now gone. So what are you getting for $30 other than some useless features, if they had a poker app I might think about it.:smokin:

PS: I am not angry,there are many good sites for sledders. I just think this is wrong and will support the other 90% of good people (sledders) that think this is wrong too, and make these people with the stars on their chest think of how they have ruined Snowest.

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Pirate4x4 - How many 4x4's are on the road compared to seasonal sleds. Its all about the advertising, 4x4 distributors will pay more. You spend 40-50,000 on a new truck and 10, for a sled. Like you said you don't know much about internet business. I am not claiming to know everything either, to me its a bit of common sense and I'm not going to jump to conclusions and point fingers. After you or anyone else finds that Harris Publishing is making bookoo profit off the forum then I'll join your side. If you want to compare it to other sites like this then start complaining to the mountain sled manufacturers and aftermarket companies for not paying enough for advertising. But then they will have to charge more for there product and we will pay anyway. But its not about the money right.

FACEBOOK - Supported By YAHOO. (a billion dollar CO.) NEED I SAY MORE ===== The knowledge was given by nice people, is a gift stealing. with your argument I could say any info you get from a paid member and if your not, your stealing from them???? I may not know the exact fact but I'm not accusing anyone either.

I'm not trying to tick people off here just trying to shed some light on smart business. If Snowest could they would make the money on other stuff and use the forum to attract people to it. But while most of us may think of sleds all day all year, We are a minority.

I know many people that get ticked about them making there boss money so they can sled all winter. Well its not that easy, go start a business and then see what a toll it takes on every part of life. I never complained but have started a business and its not all profit and with a lot of expense. But if I was loosing money I would quit.

Here is a post by W A O in this thread http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204728

"Hi guys I just read all of these replies and I am just a little puzzled. As I think this will go if you dont want all the tools this site will give you I thought I read you could just stay basic?
Now to my title, I am in the plumbing/mechanical trade and it just so happens that I am just finishing a internet server site that can handle up to 65,000 people at once.This is small time in the server industry.This server just cost the owner for just the mechanical part of his internet use 600,000 dollars and change. This is not for the computer side of the server,this is just to cool those computers. This is the pipe and the chillers and the cooling towers and the controls to keep this server cool so it can operate.Now think about all the computers still to buy($)?
Dont know how much snowest had to expand but it cost a ****load of coin just to let you log on.
Would you go to work and do a good job for free. I think not.Right or wrong they feel they need to charge to survive, so we can pay and enjoy or we can move on.I will pay, yes it sucks but it is what it is
just my rant,thanks
sean"

Little off on my numbers, my bad

Last edited:

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
Your assuming none of us have ever ran a company, well I have and still am.

I also know that if a company losses money it would not have been operating for more than a couple years. But stop, havent these forums been around for over 10 years hmmmm, it just doesnt make sense, how have they done it loosing money every year????? How do other sites that have far less Sponsers keep most of the content free.

If it does not make sense it probably is a lie.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
I think what he is getting at is that the forums lost money, but Snowest as a whole made money. The magazine helped financed the forums, but as the forums got more expensive to run it was costing too much to just keep putting that money into them. But I think now they are trying to make the forums a self standing entity so they are not a burden financially on the company.

At least that's what I'm getting from it.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Wyo, it seems we can't make you happy. First, the forums are too small, now they are too big. Very simply there are tons of free forums out there large and small, so apparently there are people out there who know how to do it.

Premium Features