• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha.. amazing but can't start it when I get home

T
Feb 28, 2016
As the title states my new alpha is amazing in my opinion. She runs like a champ all day long pulls and pulls and is very hard to get stuck. I've only got 160 miles in three rides but I'm happy. The only problem I have is the last two times I've gone riding mine and my buddies haven't started once we get home to put them in the garage. We haul on a two place open trailer but use covers so I wouldn't think water would be much of an issue especially with temps around 10°. Just wondering if anyone else has ran into this issue or has an opinion of why it's happening.. gets frustrating with a $16k sled.. TIA

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
Last two trips on my 2019 Mountain Cat still won't start getting out of the trailer starts every time on the mountain

T
Feb 28, 2016
I've been told that it could be the fuel pump relays being too cold to send the juice it needs to run seems kinda odd but I guess that's something I can take over burned down engines

skiutahcabin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 6, 2012
Timber Lakes Utah
how different is the elevation between your riding area and home?
I have a 19 Alpha and have had it quitting as I try to change into reverse- stalls out- I haven't had your issue, though elevations are similar here

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
As the title states my new alpha is amazing in my opinion. She runs like a champ all day long pulls and pulls and is very hard to get stuck. I've only got 160 miles in three rides but I'm happy. The only problem I have is the last two times I've gone riding mine and my buddies haven't started once we get home to put them in the garage. We haul on a two place open trailer but use covers so I wouldn't think water would be much of an issue especially with temps around 10°. Just wondering if anyone else has ran into this issue or has an opinion of why it's happening.. gets frustrating with a $16k sled.. TIA

Are they stock or have they been modified? Have you checked as to why it wont start, electrical or fuel?

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
i had the same problem with the last two suzuki engines i had....never found the exact cause, usually had to pull them over quite a few times before i got a start, once had to drag into garage and warm it up before it would start....my alpha will normally start after two or three pulls with the same conditions you describe, but definitely a problem related to both engines....not a problem with fuel pump or something not working, more of a sensor problem, or moisture somehow, not much help i know, but common problem that's not a malfunction per se....:face-icon-small-fro

T
Feb 28, 2016
Elevation at home is around 4500 feet and riding goes from around 6 to 9k so it's different for sure. My sled is stock other than an hps can and buddies is completely stock. I had my sled stall out once yesterday when putting into reverse as well. And I haven't traced the problem to electrical or gas the first time it happened I pulled it into my shop and left it for a few hours and it started first pull. This last time I just left it on the trailer for the night

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
still thinking about this problem.......when the engine is shutdown on the mountain, engine temps are warm, which leads the ecu to program less fuel for starts......then you go to a lower altitude and colder engine temps, but the ecu isn't quite as instantaneous as we might expect, it needs to be programming for more fuel, but it's still thinking warm engine, high altitude so it's programming less fuel, and engine won't start....on one of my suzuki engines i had a cutler switch, which would interrupt the engine temp sensor and allow the ecu to program for colder temps, like starting up at the start of the day....on the suzuki engine there was a yellow wire connection running down the top of the frame just inboard of the muffler and disconnecting it would do the same as the cutler switch, so disconnecting it would allow the injectors to put fuel into the engine as if it were cold (more fuel), and engine would usually start in 1 or 2 pulls, you don't want to do pull more than twice before reconnecting wire disconnect or you will flood engine....i notice the same yellow wire connection is on the alpha...i can't guarantee it does the same thing on the c-tec, but try it a couple of times, it could very well work and isn't going to hurt anything....anyway, good luck and let us know, others have the same problem :face-icon-small-hap

eldereldo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 23, 2014
Elevation at home is around 4500 feet and riding goes from around 6 to 9k so it's different for sure. My sled is stock other than an hps can and buddies is completely stock. I had my sled stall out once yesterday when putting into reverse as well. And I haven't traced the problem to electrical or gas the first time it happened I pulled it into my shop and left it for a few hours and it started first pull. This last time I just left it on the trailer for the night

I had an issue the other day going into reverse as well, but it was because I wasn’t waiting long enough for the motor to come back to idle before trying. It just seems to stall if you hit the reverse while it is still above 2000

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
It sounds like its flooded, have you tried holding the throttle wide open and pulling it to start?

T
Feb 28, 2016
I'll try unplugging the yellow with to see if it gets more fuel. We also tried holding the throttle wide open as well. We let them sit outside over night and all day in the lovely southeast Idaho snowstorm we got and decided to see if they would start last night and both did on the second pull..

A
Nov 9, 2016
I'll try unplugging the yellow with to see if it gets more fuel. We also tried holding the throttle wide open as well. We let them sit outside over night and all day in the lovely southeast Idaho snowstorm we got and decided to see if they would start last night and both did on the second pull..

I experienced a no start today after temps dropped to about 10 degrees, traced it to a sticky kill switch.it almost felt frozen down, next time this happens, unplug the kill switch by the coolant bottle (black/blue wires) and see if it starts up.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
^Lol.
Either way, this is just a dumb issue by Cat. It's 2019 and there's an issue with a kill switch or fuel pump or some other electronic fuel issue?
Cmon, Cat has been the king of EFI sleds IMO since the early days of EFI, pretty much stone relaible since the 90s. We got an old M7 that can sit for a year and it takes 2-3 good pulls tops to get started and 1 pull if it's already been running in the recent past. Starts and runs like a Swiss watch. Starts easier than my Pro or EFI YZ450.
Question is what did Textron cheap out on or botch up?

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Gotta narrow it down. Either gas or spark issue. Next time, check spark. If you have spark, is a gas/pump/injector issue. If gas issue...check for fuel pressure. If not that, is injector issue. Likely an electrical connection issue...but maybe a sticky pump?

K
Nov 13, 2013
Squamish BC
My alpha did it once. After full wot with boost and shut down by tether. Wouldnt start for an hr on hill I opened gas cap relieved pressure and it fired up..... suction? I dunno if it's possible but that's my story.:juggle:

Premium Features