• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

03 powerstroke

N

nathaniel11

Sep 26, 2003
Marshall, Mn
Looking at a 2003 ford with the 6.0 was wondering what peoples thoughts are about this motor. Is this a ticking time bomb? it has 90,000 miles on it

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
The first thing you should do is get the vin and call the service dept at your local ford dealer and request an oasis report. This will list all the problems (and the truck will have problems) that the truck was brought into ford to fix. If it's had numerous problems, then move on to the next truck.
Fact is, you can find alot of 6. trucks in great condition and because of their bad reputation they are cheap. It's a risky proposition as ever person that has one for sale will tell you that they had no problems with it. In fact my father has an 06 f350 for sale, and he's had no problems whatsoever for 70k miles, however the truck had 82k miles on it and the last 12k has over $30k in warranty work

M

modsledr

Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
Since it is out of warranty, unless you are getting it for dirt cheap, then look elsewhere.

If you ARE getting it for dirt cheap, and have about $5k to put into it, then it may be worth it.

EGR Delete, Head Gaskets and HEad Studs, Possible HPOP and injectors. Now you have a dependable, great power setup.

THe truck is a proven platform. Great Transmission.

M

modsledr

Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
What is the book value for that truck with all of the options it has?

If you pay 14k, you'll be into it for around $19-20k to make it dependable.

Personally, I think $14k is too much (and yes, I own one...04 w/6.0)

C

chunkysoup

Sep 23, 2009
Waterloo, WI
Since it is out of warranty, unless you are getting it for dirt cheap, then look elsewhere.

If you ARE getting it for dirt cheap, and have about $5k to put into it, then it may be worth it.

EGR Delete, Head Gaskets and HEad Studs, Possible HPOP and injectors. Now you have a dependable, great power setup.

THe truck is a proven platform. Great Transmission.

Dont forget the turbos! My 03 6.0 went through 3 turbos but were all covered under warranty before i got rid of it! If ur looking at a 6.0 i wouldnt get anything older than the 05.

M

modsledr

Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
Dont forget the turbos! My 03 6.0 went through 3 turbos but were all covered under warranty before i got rid of it! If ur looking at a 6.0 i wouldnt get anything older than the 05.

Agreed.

Nathanial11, you should get the VIN # and take it to your local Ford dealer and have the service dept pull an Oasis Report. This will tell you everything that any dealer has done to the truck (repairs/warranty work)..

you might discover that things like Turbo and Injectors were recently replaced with updated versions, which makes it a safer purchase.

Personally, I think there are better deals out there...but I dont know any of the details of the truck you are looking at.

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
Are there any 7.3 in your area. For that money and even less, you can pick up a lariat crew cab 4x4 with 120k miles.
If you can be patient you can seek out a clean 7.3, then throw a small enonomy or tow tuner on it, you'll be way ahead of the game.

R

redbull660

Dec 1, 2007
Montana
I have a couple of questions also, I am looking at a 2006 f350 king ranch with the 6.0. I do not plan on using a tuner, stock is just fine for me. It has 73000 miles on it and is in excellent condition. Did the 2006 powerstrokes have better luck than the older ones? Also is it expensive to do the egr delete.

Premium Features