• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1998 RMK 600

Y
Sep 21, 2009
Columbus, Nebraska
I just bought a 98 RMK 600 with only 560 miles on it!! Don't know much about the 98 RMK's. For those of you that do or have owned this sled in the past is there anything I need to look out for/change on the sled? Was it a pretty reliable sled? Did this year of sled have altitude compensators on the carbs? If so did it work good?

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
They were very reliable. There was no altitude compensation on the 98 model. It came in 99. However that is not a real big concern because the 600s were very forgiving on jetting. They were a bit thirsty though. As far as anything to look out for there is nothing major. Just do the usual maintenance such as checking for faulty bearings in the skidframe, clutch maintenance, etc and you will get a lot of miles out of it. We have a couple 99 models with 12,000 miles on them which still run fine.

T

towngrunt

Apr 17, 2008
This is a great sled. One thing I would do for sure is change the water pump belt. This is for the water and oil pump. Usually need to change at about 2000 miles but due to age I think it would be money in the bank to change now.

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
Biggest thing to look out for on these is the water pump belt. Its under the recoil cover. It also runs the oil pump. To be safe consider the sleds age I would change it out.

Another thing to look at is the Water pump impeller bearings. Specifically the inner bearing. It likes to go out. which can also take out the water pump belt.

Other than that the kehien carbs have a few issues.

Go with the R1371G needle and a booste bottle to clean up to low end burble and you will be golden.

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll definitely change the waterpump belt and keep an eye on the bearings. Keep the suggestions coming. Would like to hear more about this sled.

They are great sleds. I had one that I bought brand new and rode up to 2006.

What do you want to know?

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
Let me look tonight i think I still have the book for this sled.

K
Mar 16, 2008
You will like that sled. I bought mine new, and it now has almost 6000 trouble free miles. I made a few minor mods to it, and it runs like a scalded dog. It's the wife's sled now, but I still ride it now and then.

Premium Features