• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who makes teh best Helmet Cam and give us some pointers on using it.

K

knee deep in it

Nov 21, 2007
calgary
I bought a twenty - twenty camera froom Vholdr. I checked their video compatability list and purchased a specific Toshiba video camera off ebay. I could never get it to work right.

Finally, Vholdr told me that some Toshiba video cameras would not work with thier helmet cam and I was SOL. I gotta buy a new video camera.

By this time, I missed the sled season. Next fall, I purchased a 2nd video camera. Again, farted around a lot with it and couldn't get it to work right. We finally agreed that it was the fault of the helmet cam but my warranty had run out. Even though the helmet cam never worked, I was SOL.

When they announced the new Contour HD, I called them and they agreed to give me one a dealer cost. So they launch the product and I don't get a call from them. I finally call them and they now tell me that I can get one at a discounted cost when they fill their existing orders. Promised to get back to me in November.

They never called. I just purchased a Gopro HD

C

cowboymann02

Jan 3, 2008
south sioux city,ne
We use the VholdR hd1080p camera, cant beat how easy to use, just 1 button to start recording. have 2 helmet mounts and just hand camera off to other guys when you want different views, buy from point of view camera inc..... fast shipment and great prices. we have yours set on 720p size with 60 frames per second and quality is great. hope this helps. price should be a factor,but this is one of those things that if you take care of it you won't have to buy again.

T

thewished

Jan 13, 2009
Bend, Oregon
I have the GoPro SD and it looks great. Only two buttons and they are spring loaded in the case so you can push them on the fly with gloves on. I wish the wife would have spent the extra cash on the HD but I have no complaints. :beer;

Mounted it on the back of my helmet using the higher stand so it would take a feet to hit it with a tree. It looks right above the top of my helmet

I
Oct 10, 2009
SLC, UT
Gopro HD is second to none for quality (once the video is compressed and posted on the internet I have not seen anything that looks better), mounting options, durability, and simplicity as it is one tiny self contained piece. You can easily have the little stick on mounting brackets attached to your sled, helmet, buddies sled, and wherever else you could imagine and effortlessly move it from place to place throughout the day.

The one thing I have no clue about is which camera sheds snow from the lense the best which is a big factor on deep days... I am more involved in ski filming, but in that world no one even really considers anything else unless they find it for free. The contour seems to be a solid second though.

DTR

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2008
ND
www.DTRND.com
The one thing I have no clue about is which camera sheds snow from the lense the best which is a big factor on deep days... I am more involved in ski filming, but in that world no one even really considers anything else unless they find it for free. The contour seems to be a solid second though.

I have the Tachyon XC, and when I mentioned I ride in the mountains, they sent along a plastic lens cover that fits over the front of the camera, covers up all ledges. No snow, etc sits there and you get good video all day. I am trying to post my first video, so we will see how that goes!

DTR

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
got the countour HD 1080 and used it for the first time this weekend.

Soooooo much easier to use than my last set up. Which was a bullet cam hooked into a camcorder. Can you say cables, plus a pain to start the cam, put it away then ride.

left it on my helmet all day and easily reached up and turned it on when I needed it. super hassle free with a great quality vid. Such good quality that my computer has a hard time digesting it. Couple easy fixes for that and now good to go.

got it from Zachcreek on here...tell him tudizzle sent ya he may even give ya a better deal ;)

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO

Fearless Catman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
The Sheyenne River Valley of ND
I just ordered the Contour HD. A friend of mine had one while we were in Cooke over new years weekend. Downloaded them to laptop 2 check out the action. He was able to record all day no problem. Was very impressed with it. Seen a couple fellows with the Go Pro HD that they mounted sky high that I was not impressed with. Later in the day, I rode pass one of the guys with the Go Pro that had been knocked down at an angle and I dont think he was aware of that. Maybe Go Pros have another mount that mounts right on the helmet, rather than on a bracket 2 feet up. Anyway, I was sold on the Contour HD and ordered one for myself. Now I can leave my camera home and use my newly ordered Contour HD for filming and pictures. Can't wait.

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana

Engine Pro 5x

Premium Member
Sep 20, 2009
KANSAS
Vholdr Contour HD is a breeze to operate and the vid quality is great. It has a huge on/off switch and with the lazers and the signal you never have to shut the sled off or take your helmet off to check the camera >>>>.

rmk2112

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2009
Kennewick, WA
www.northstar-plumbing.com
Vholdr Contour HD is a breeze to operate and the vid quality is great. It has a huge on/off switch and with the lazers and the signal you never have to shut the sled off or take your helmet off to check the camera >>>>.

I have 1 and love it, heres a few tips for quick, easy use.

1. Positioning on the side of helmet, below goggle strap seems to work best
2. Use the lasers to line up the best spot on side of helmet for a good "straight ahead" shot
3. Rotate the lens so lasers form a parallel line with the floor.

I know, all the above is obvious, but here's the kicker

4. When everything is lined up good AND you've trail tested your location with test video.......place a small dot with a white permanent marker on the mounting disc and the cam mounting circle. This way you never have to line it up again, just pop it on your helmet with the marks lined up and its always in perfect shooting position. Also, its a good idea to make the same mark on the case where you rotated the lens, sometimes that will move during installing/removing the camera from the helmet.

Here's some sample video from mine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIqbZXlA2jA

IMG00075.jpg IMG00076.jpg

Last edited:
A

A4pdot

Jan 30, 2008
North Vancouver
Made a Decision

I have the VIO, but was torn between the GoPro and the CountourHD. (both hd) but when I looked at a few....ok a lot of videos shot with both cameras in the snow on similar days.The CountourHD looks like the snow fools the sensor into overexposing the image.The GoPro has a wider viewing angle giving a pretty cool looking shot, and the lens looks easier to clean, the VIO has the same lens set up as the CountourHD and snow always builds up at the lip of the lens and it's hard to get rid of without scratching it out with your finger. I like the controls on the CountourHD, seems easier to start then the GoPro, guess I'll find that out soon. However I also like the fact that the GoProMoto kit comes with the suction mount, everyone wears these on their head. It's kinda cool to mount it to your sled with ease or your buddies sled, pointing backwards, seems pretty versatile. I agree it looks a little funny on top of the helmet, but I don't plan on taking many shots at that angle and besides who cares how it looks? Maybe you do, in that case get the other one I'm sure their both good. :beer;

Last edited:
T

Thunderhawk

Sep 5, 2009
CT
It was a tough decision given the price difference between the MotoCam360 and the other names mentioned which are disticntly at a different price level.

Similar to the sayings, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" and "you get what you pay for". I bit the bullit and went with the system that seemed like it was the best, rather than the lowest price or even the "best value".

Upon delivery, I was having some difficulty understanding some of the features. Left a message at the company on a Friday afternoon. Saturday the owner of the company calls me back to what me through it.

Additionally, he tells me that as software and other upgrades are developed, the unit can be sent back to be updated - FREE!!!!

That's the type of customer service that I want in products I buy.

A

A4pdot

Jan 30, 2008
North Vancouver
It was a tough decision given the price difference between the MotoCam360 and the other names mentioned which are disticntly at a different price level.

Similar to the sayings, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" and "you get what you pay for". I bit the bullit and went with the system that seemed like it was the best, rather than the lowest price or even the "best value".

Upon delivery, I was having some difficulty understanding some of the features. Left a message at the company on a Friday afternoon. Saturday the owner of the company calls me back to what me through it.

Additionally, he tells me that as software and other upgrades are developed, the unit can be sent back to be updated - FREE!!!!

That's the type of customer service that I want in products I buy.

The MotoCam360 is sick!, but I found with the VIO the cables are a bit of a pain in the *** and as I was farting around with setting everything up people were tearing up my line. So I went quick and dirty now... I'll let you guys know how it turns out.... just my 2 cents

Premium Features