• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bone Mic

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
Anyone ever try one sledding and found a decent one? My shop got some in when I was in service to experiment changing out from the intercom systems tankers were using the CVC helmet with the big ear muffs and boom mike. They would always wind up trashing the cable that plugged into the mic, the ear muffs would make the user pretty deaf to anyone trying to get their attention outside the tank. Fielded similar to below in our M88 maintenance Tank, M577 fire direction control tank for a platoon and 2 M270 MLRS. The M270 MLRS crews had 3 guys sitting side by side and the whine of the turbine and firing system was very loud. One would think less interference from the bone mic would be a huge plus. However, use of two ear pieces was needed to shut out the noise, not just have the mics for communication. Both crews did not like them because of that. For the FDC 577 crew members that were plotting fire missions and communicating to the rest of the crew in immediate vicinity while the vehicle was running had the biggest benefit since the 577 engine when running was tolerable loud. The M88 crew liked it as well despite the M88 being a big, heavy, loud behemoth. Since they usually required a ground guide to move anywhere, it was easier for the commander to communicate to the ground guide and both could easily communicate with any non crew member around. We fielded them for about 6 months and turned in our report. We never did outfit the whole unit with them. I think the Army didn't move forward because the M270 launchers that was the focus of the battalion couldn't really use it despite their FDC and Maintenance tanks liked them.

I've been thinking off and on how these might be a really cool setup for riding and maybe even have a secondary PTT switch on the bars so one doesn't have to take their hands off to transmit. But then I look at prices and think while it would be super slick, not having to turn off the engine to have a legible communication, the price point on a decent system has never really been there. Now however I'm seeing more and more lower end stuff that I think is more affordable and also using some decent quality, though maybe outdated from current tactical/military generations, I would think they are at least on par with what was available to the military in the 90's. Considering Bone mics have been in use since WWII and maybe even before. I would think there has to be some decent options.

Has anyone looked at any? used any? own any? or know someone who does? Thoughts?

1644898590458.png

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
I have used this setup at work while wearing a full face respirator..... Can not imagine it being a viable choice for sledding.
Transmitted audio is always distorted. The louder one speaks the more distorted it gets. And the audio tube ear piece is okay in a quiet environment.
I find the most reliable comms to be a gmrs-pro coupled with a btech speaker Mic on the shoulder strap. To keep the snow out of the Mic, use the foot part of your old ladie's panty hose. Audio quality is best I've heard on any hand held radio.

Last edited:
Premium Features