• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Reliability of the 850 so far? and hows the 2019 belt life?

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Hey guys, thinking to jump ship, how has the 850 held up the past 3 seasons? Are they as good as they seem in theory? How was the belt life for the 2019's? did they resolve their issues? Any other issues to be known? thanks!

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Hey guys, thinking to jump ship, how has the 850 held up the past 3 seasons? Are they as good as they seem in theory? How was the belt life for the 2019's? did they resolve their issues? Any other issues to be known? thanks!

I don't own one but rode a 19 and they are a nice sled. Really like the shot and the easy steering. In the right hands they are tough to beat. The clutching runs hotter than it should and belts don't always last as long as some others. The 19 does seem a lot better. I only know 4 guys that own them two 17's one 18 and one 19. So far 2 have failed engines (both seized)the 18 last weekend, 3000 -3500 kms stock eng not even a can. The other 2 don't have near as many kms so time will tell. Warranty has covered them so that's good but still not great life. I am sure lots of guys have a lot more exposure to the sled than I do but this is my limited experience.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
"I dont own one but".....:face-icon-small-sho
;)

I don't own one but rode a 19 and they are a nice sled. Really like the shot and the easy steering. In the right hands they are tough to beat. The clutching runs hotter than it should and belts don't always last as long as some others. The 19 does seem a lot better. I only know 4 guys that own them two 17's one 18 and one 19. So far 2 have failed engines (both seized)the 18 last weekend, 3000 -3500 kms stock eng not even a can. The other 2 don't have near as many kms so time will tell. Warranty has covered them so that's good but still not great life. I am sure lots of guys have a lot more exposure to the sled than I do but this is my limited experience.

Good info, And that's something that is worrysome indeed on the engines, Belts wise It would come down to a clutch kit I imagine as well to help it.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
most of us can agree motors going boom under 1500 miles poo (or 200). motors all need a up date at 3500 miles doo and cat.. you do the math. yes this is an 850 thread and cat only makes and 800.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
you do hear engine issues from all of them, the cat ctec 2 I'm unsure for its self, The pro rmk engine Had piston issues which rectified with a kit with longer skirts, the same engine into the axys??? I'm unsure if still pistons or they were better. however for the 800 class I'd say the 800 etec is #1 in reliability and hp, as far as I've seen my self anyways. Now we venture into the 850, the doo 850 is a very high tech engine and unique for a 2 stroke, the Poo 850 which is a 840.... I'm unsure, I read about them blowing up too of course within a few hundred miles, Indy dan who does Poo's picked apart the engine saying lots off long term reliability issues with them, so who knows right!

If you get 3500 miles out of a mountain engine I'd be happy honestly, Tear it down and overhaul it and keep enjoying it. I average 600-700 miles a winter, so If I Had 3-4 solid winters trouble free I'd be happy.

I haven't had the best of luck though and seem to get lemons.... And that is not something I want either LOL I'm so sick of it :bowl:, So I think maybe spending a bit more than I usually would for a sled... may pan out? lol, The nearest DOO dealer to me though is 2.5 hours so if there was warranty issues It is a hassle still

Last edited:

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
I've got a '17 w/ around 2000 mountain miles. No issues. I clutched it right out of the box (added weight, then DJ kit beginning of its second season). Never had any belt problems. Replaced the SP shocks at around 1400 miles, when I felt it bottom out hard for the first time. It's been a really great sled so far. All that said, I'm an "average rider". I can go wherever I want, but I generally don't want to go where the true experts are going. I break trail, climb, sidehill, small jumps, etc. but not pinned all day without rest. If you're one of those guys, you'll break the Doo too.

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
‘19 Doo 154x3

Still on the original belt. Dropped a bit in the secondary on the first ride but it was super deep. Settled down after that. Keeping a very close eye on it, wash the belt and wipe down the clutches after each ride and I think I’m seeing some “interesting” wear the last bit..... will not be surprised if it fails soon but maybe I’m wrong.

T
Aug 8, 2011
They seem to blow up from time to time. We have 3, all have failed at least once. My personal sled twice but the second time was my fault at least partially. My friend has a big bore 927 one and it seems to blow up fairly often too. It’s the 850 Doo thing!! Haven’t seen a 19 fail yet and they do perform better on the hill.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Good info guys! For the 17 and 18, does a. Clutch kit fix belt issues or is it more of the engine mounts being the issue as If I remember right they went to stiffer ones now?

JungleJim

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
I have 1750 miles on our '18 175X with no issues but one blow belt in first 300 miles or so then changed secondary spring to stiffer green/green spring and all is good. Belt was covered under warranty. Got 1300 miles on my '19 175X and no issues at all. Very happy with performance and reliability so far! Much better than the Polaris's which ride with us as I've had to lend out my TPS override I carry in my toolbox for my son's sleds three different times now...

N
Nov 26, 2007
Chinook Pass, Wa
2k on my '17 154 X model. On my second belt, did all the updates including the '19 panel vent. Just did an MDS clutch kit this winter more for performance than belt issues, works good. Very happy with mine, going to run it another year.

G
Feb 6, 2011
Sweden
Well my buddies that ride 850 brp is still blowing belts but not like last year. One blew 15 belts on his -18 and only 3 so far on the -19 on a total of 800km. But this weekend a other friend lost a chunk of the track and a few km later the chain broke.

Premium Features