• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thermostat bypass Powergrips.

Timberdoodle218

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2010
Tofte MN
So my question is, is a heat gun the best way to shrink these things up? (seems like a little torch would cause damage) If so high or low setting? and how do you get to the backsides of the 'Grips or doesn't it matter? If you screw up and don't get a full shrink around the entirety, and the thing cools, is it done (one time shot)?

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
I've used a heat gun both low and high heat. Usually depends on what's behind it. Keep in mind it doesn't just heat 1 spot so as long as you get some heat around the back side you should be cool. Once it starts shrinking it goes fast... I've not personally reused them, any that I've screwed up I've replaced with ew ones. They don't usually relax much once heated and shrunk up

GKR

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
According to Gates, they continue to shrink indefinitely in operation so they stay tight. I used a heat gun on high and got around them the best I could. Now that I have run the sled a few times they seem same or tighter, zero leaks. They do a really nice install too. I would recommend them.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Many of the more environmentally conscience Oil companies in the Arctic use these exclusively. As the heat of the coolant will keep them tensioned and prevent leakage, whereas metal clamps will loosen due to the thermal expansion at the temperature extremes the equipment is exposed to and cause weeps.

You only need to heat what you can get to easily. Due to it being a circumferential band and the shrinkage ratio it is capable of; even just shrinking a 1/3 of it will make the required seal. Of course more is better, as always, but if spacial constraints are such, IME 1/3-1/2 is adequate.

Last edited:
S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
I couldnt get any without ordering 30 at $110 plus tax.

404c6e22a2c5313a0f56b92b3e064806.jpg

Did these. I dont mind the look

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
If you had contacted either Rodger's Sports or myself I'm sure we could have sold you just the Gates Power Grips needed for far cheaper than you found them for. As we buy them in bulk to keep the cost of the kits down. Glad your happy with the SS worm drive clamps. I know I remove all the heavy steel clamps on my sleds and replace them with the clean lightweight sexy Gates Power Grip clamps. Saves a couple of pounds of needless weight.

Timberdoodle218

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2010
Tofte MN
Well all but one sealed up. The one on the top of the Doo 'stat leaked as soon as I filled it up. I didn't start it up to see if the heat from the coolant would seal it, I just cut it off and used a metal hose clamp. If I can find another 'Grip I'll try it again. Also the coolant leaked heavily from the gooseneck for the old 'stat. Switched the round rubber gasket to underneath the metal washer and seems ok now. I must say those 'Grips sure do look clean!

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
FWIW; the washer should be in the groove of the stock thermostat seal, just like it was with the thermostat in it.

Premium Features