• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need help c3 thermostat and bars KTM 300

P
Aug 18, 2019
Got my thermostat and bars installed but the bars are not getting any heat. Should the “T” in the cooling lines run up to the bar valve? Then the return from the bars run to bypass on thermostat? Anyone have pictures? C3 website says it’s 2T but the picture is not 2T

2020 KTM 300 tpi

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
pwoens, from the photos it appears the feed originates at the thermostat and the return also "returns to the thermostat" . That would not work. The thermo should be on the pressure ( supply) side of the system (pump), and the return should come back to someplace in the return side of the system, suction side of pump. the lower coolant intakes in the case, anywhere on bottom of radiators is on the return or suction side and the return from the bars can be plumbed in anywhere. Basically, the coolant is pushed to the thermostat thru the bypass port into the supply line to the bars, through the bars and out the return line back down to the return or supply side, lower rad hoses, and into the engine and back to the pump.

P
Aug 18, 2019
pwoens, from the photos it appears the feed originates at the thermostat and the return also "returns to the thermostat" . That would not work. The thermo should be on the pressure ( supply) side of the system (pump), and the return should come back to someplace in the return side of the system, suction side of pump. the lower coolant intakes in the case, anywhere on bottom of radiators is on the return or suction side and the return from the bars can be plumbed in anywhere. Basically, the coolant is pushed to the thermostat thru the bypass port into the supply line to the bars, through the bars and out the return line back down to the return or supply side, lower rad hoses, and into the engine and back to the pump.
Awesome thank you! That’s what I was wondering, it didn’t make sense to have both bar lines going into the bottom of the thermo. I kept looking at C3’s picture for 250/300 and it showed that weird hoop portion.

Here’s what I think needs to happen. Ultimately remove the hoop, and reroute one bar line to that lower rad hose shown with green arrow. Cap off the two holes of course but does this look right?
4E5B2635-7A85-4E5E-B531-50FC03B2221D.jpeg

G

Georro

Dec 30, 2010
Looks correct. Assuming your thermostat is inline with the head output and your frame t-piece inlet that feeds the top of the rads you should be good to go. I see that you had to do something similar to me to keep your thermo from rubbing on the radiator.

P
Aug 18, 2019
Just got home and had a few minutes to confirm the new routing corrected the issue. These bars definitely get warm, can’t wait to give them a shot!!!

Thanks!

G
Nov 13, 2022
Fall City
Now that it's been awhile since you plumbed up your C3 parts, do you have anymore photos of the setup or any other notes on installation. The C3 instructions are puzzling for sure. I'm specifically thinking of that short stub tube that runs from the crossover line into the bottom of the stock thermostat. It appears that you have connected your return line to this short stub tube. That means the short stub tube no longer connects to the bottom of the thermostat as it did in the stock setup. Seeing as how the C3 thermostat housing doesn't have this 3rd port like the stocker, I guess everything should still work? Thanks in advance for any help.

Premium Features