• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016 low speed belt chatter

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
Wish I knew if, when and what the fix will be. I have just over 1 mile on mine so I would like to fix mine before that plate gets too chewed. I think the ideal fix is add 2 more adjusters evenly spaced from the original and delrin tip all of them... That should eliminate any wobble in the sheaths while spreading the load so the delrin tips and plate wear slower. Perhaps an interm fix is run a second adjuster in the belt tool hole?

Polish your stock bolt tip and slightly round the edge of the tip while your at it so it can't dig into the plate. Then re-install the outside sheave 180 degrees around so the bolt slides on a new slide area. Run it there and don't worry about it unless it makes a noise you think is super bad. If it's bad take it to your dealer and have them fix it.

If it's not under warranty you may be replacing the clutch soon with one that doesn't grind and squawk.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I know a way to do this and make everyone happy, but I need a good lathe or machinest to do it, would just be a simple slide on deflection adjustment.

But if someone thinks they can handle the task, just pm me and I'll give you the info

Z
Dec 9, 2015
"What you need here is some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads." - Fletch

I've been following this thread all week and maybe this isn't the place for for this comment but if she's dry and tight maybe a little lube is in order.:eyebrows:

I'm only half joking. The old farmer in my dad said that things that rub need oil so he wd-40's his clutches daily and consistently gets 5000-6000 miles out of the stock (insert 4 letter word here) Cat clutches on his 500cc and 580cc. I'm not as religious about it and get about 3500-5000 miles on my 500cc and 800cc and my brother runs his 600cc dry and gets 2500 miles. There are lots of variables here like hp, plains vs mountain, stock vs TEAM. What do you think?

Only chiming in here because I'm looking hard at upgrading to an M8000 with the TEAM clutches.

The old farmer in your dad makes a good point, a thin film of grease isn't going to hurt a damn thing and for sure we know it will decrease friction :face-icon-small-coo

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
I don't think anyone said anything was going to fail, just noisy and annoying

Annoyingly noisy to the point that guys on the other sleds are alarmed and ask if your sled is okay.

No it's not going to fail but, it sure isn't right! 13k for sled that sounds like old farm equipment... It ain't right.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Annoyingly noisy to the point that guys on the other sleds are alarmed and ask if your sled is okay.

No it's not going to fail but, it sure isn't right! 13k for sled that sounds like old farm equipment... It ain't right.

ummm I didn't say it was right, I just said it isn't going to fail, its not going to keep me from riding braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap :face-icon-small-hap

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Kinda funny my rattle box is making those other 13k sleds look like a waste of money. ;)
I kinda like rolling up to the other guys and asking where were you? O you couldn't follow. ..
They can say what they want, results are what count

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Btw, you can adjust deflection with washers that go over the shaft, if your worried about it damaging the shaft use nylon washers that fit over the shaft but fit snug so they don't move.

If I can find a good machine guy with a mill I can build a deflection adjuster

Flatcat12

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2013
Btw, you can adjust deflection with washers that go over the shaft, if your worried about it damaging the shaft use nylon washers that fit over the shaft but fit snug so they don't move.

If I can find a good machine guy with a mill I can build a deflection adjuster

Someone asked about balance if you remove the adjustment screw. Have you noticed anything or is it hard to tell over the noise?

Flatcat12

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2013
The old farmer in your dad makes a good point, a thin film of grease isn't going to hurt a damn thing and for sure we know it will decrease friction :face-icon-small-coo

We messed around with some different lubes and found that grease collected belt dust. wd40 washes clean with the smallest application. Again remember these were not TEAM clutches and only one 800 cc sled.

M

MDS

Nov 13, 2009
Come on man

Rode in the trees all day this 16 secondary noise is ridiculous. If I or any other vendor put something out like this we'd be run out of town ! What's the fix Cat ?

CB.8

Skidoo hill crew
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
Update

I agree with MDS (Steve) it is ridiculous that cat doesn't have a fix yet. That said I am either getting numb to the noise or it is getting better. I rounded the edges off and polished the adjuster bolt. I am also running the deflection tight enough to squeal at times. At 311 miles it really isn't bothering me any more.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
I agree with MDS (Steve) it is ridiculous that cat doesn't have a fix yet. That said I am either getting numb to the noise or it is getting better. I rounded the edges off and polished the adjuster bolt. I am also running the deflection tight enough to squeal at times. At 311 miles it really isn't bothering me any more.

i only have 500 mile on the 16 now and dont even care or notice it. does climb like a goat now that it is clutched right tho.:face-icon-small-hap

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
This noise is getting to me. Love the sled, absolutely HATE THE NOISE! It's horse sht!!!!

Anyone that doesn't have their heads up their arses can hear there's something wrong!

I want a fix or a clutch that's not a P.O.S!

tinkerjohnson

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2008
Southern utah
Clutch noise

My buddy just bought a 16. ya I looked all over that thing trying to figure out what the h-ll that noise was that defiantly needs to be addressed

2litre

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
In sicamous with my shiny new limited 162 and showing my crew how great it is, but it sounds so horrible I can't see any of them ever considering buying a cat! My got so bad coming down a goat trail it was shuddering and I could feel it through the left running board. I stopped, backed it up 10 feet and the noises disappeared for the next few miles. They really need to address this. I waited since I bought my 2010 snopro for cat to build a sled that had addressed all its little problems, thought they had and snow checked this one, now it sounds like there is a bunch of metal parts fighting to get out all the time. Sad!

northof40

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Saskatchewan
If you want to trade one noise for another, snug up your belt delfection, gets rid of the secondary noise, but it will sound like an old oldsmobile squealing in the primary when its idling once the belt is warm haha.

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
2016 Secondary clutch noise

I've got 2 rides on my 2016 cat M800 Ltd.
Less than 100 miles.
The clutch noise is steadily getting worse.
It's ridiculous that a sled that is $16,000 Canadian has these issues and there nothing done about it yet.
I wish cat or team would fix this issue.

Premium Features