• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016 low speed belt chatter

S

StuckInIllinois

Nov 20, 2013
Northern IL
I have about 15 miles on my 2016 High Country Limited and mine makes the chattering noise as well. I will be pulling the secondary to see if the marks are there as well.

Good find!

ride3.jpg

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
Great I'm going to have another arctic cat with **** clutches

Nah! This is a minor issue that will be resolved soon.

Meanwhile let's see some pictures of everyone's scratches. Why are some shorter than others? Why are some off position/clock wise?

Can this noise be fixed by simply polishing the bolt tip and clocking the sheave to a new position to use a new slide surface?

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
I don't think it has anything to do with the helix. It's the single deflection bolt skidding and digging into the steel plate. It needs to slide and not dig/scratch.

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
Ok I made some progress on making a Derlin tipped bolt. Got one ready to test will go out tomorrow and put some miles on it see how it holds up!

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
Anyone heard from Arctic cat yet? What are they saying about this?

Bru

I believe Arctic Cat Engineering is testing to find out where the noise is coming from for sure. I told them I knew where it was coming from and it's definitely the deflection bolt!

K
Dec 12, 2010
Well I know exactly what noise you were talking about, I got about 150 mi on my 16 LTD. I rode the 16' stock with can for said miles to get an idea of what I was working with. I installed a set of MDS weights and spring over the weekend and went for an awesome ride today in Sicamus BC. Low and behold the sound is gone!!

Now I did notice that when disassembling the clutch to install the new weights that the OEM weights were very loose between the shims, and that the MDS weights were so tight I actually had to hit em with the wire wheel and buff off some of the paint/powdercoating to make em fit between the shims.

I will now never own another sled without a tuned primary clutch. Was beating 2' of fresh all day and hitting 7950rpm consistent all day long, for 30 sec to 1 minute pulls! First try out too.

Either way I never heard the distinctive chatter you guys speak of, and I know what you were talking about it sounded like the clutch was going to blow up.

northof40

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Saskatchewan
Well I know exactly what noise you were talking about, I got about 150 mi on my 16 LTD. I rode the 16' stock with can for said miles to get an idea of what I was working with. I installed a set of MDS weights and spring over the weekend and went for an awesome ride today in Sicamus BC. Low and behold the sound is gone!!

Now I did notice that when disassembling the clutch to install the new weights that the OEM weights were very loose between the shims, and that the MDS weights were so tight I actually had to hit em with the wire wheel and buff off some of the paint/powdercoating to make em fit between the shims.

I will now never own another sled without a tuned primary clutch. Was beating 2' of fresh all day and hitting 7950rpm consistent all day long, for 30 sec to 1 minute pulls! First try out too.

Either way I never heard the distinctive chatter you guys speak of, and I know what you were talking about it sounded like the clutch was going to blow up.

I have had MDS weights in from the start... still have the noise, and it is definitely the secondary because it doesn't start until the sled is actually in motion. after about 5 mph ish its gone.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
looks awesome, just wondering if it will hold shape over time so your not adjusting the deflection a bunch.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Like I said in the very beginning, it's from the sheaves wobbling. Only when the secondary is moving but the belt hasn't engaged yet.

The noise is not coming from the bolt, even a particular tip bolt will still **** the sheaves and allow noise. You would have to put 4 bolts in adjusted perfect to ditch the noise or use some other spacer or shim to adjust deflection. Although the plastic bolt may help.

Keep b1tching about it and cat will just put 4" thick foam around it so you can't hear it and add 15lbs, just like the intake and can. I have 320+ miles and don't hear it anymore, maybe it's because when I figured out its normal I no longer cared, kinda like the intake noise from dropping 13lbs of a hood.

Super 8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2012
All of the 2016 7000's secondary clutches were recalled to be replaced because they were noisy.
My guess it's because the engine is quieter and the clutch noise is more pronounced.

Last edited:
S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
Yes....deflection is adjusted by the set screw. Alignment is adjusted with the shims between the clutch sheaves.

Guys make sure you have the new Team Alignment bar for the 2016 sleds.
...so is the new alignment bar also required for a '14 with Team drive clutch, stock driven ?

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
No. It is my understanding that the Team primary will still use the same alignment bar as the Cat primary. Different secondaries will dictate different bars.

KJAssault

Premium Member
Sep 21, 2011
Not close enough to snow
Question here? Don't want to start a fight just thinking out loud!

Buddy has a 16 cat m8 secondary is making noise. I have a 15 pro with basically the same secondary no noise. From looking at the pictures on here. The cat secondary has a steel plate riveted to the sheeve that the deflection bolt rides on. Much binding!!!
My pro has a steel washer that is loose that the bolt rides on. More things to move
Could it just need a washer in there? Has anyone tryed this?

Premium Features