• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Oil Consumption

C

cowill2

Jan 5, 2009
Pueblo, CO
Just recently switched from polaris ves II synthetic to blue marble oil. Also just got this sled about 2 weeks ago and have put about 60 miles on it.

So my question is how much oil usage is normal for these 07 Dragon RMK 700s
? In the 40 miles i rode on sunday i used about half a tank of oil Just trail riding and taking it pretty easy. Is this normal? Seems like alot to me. Could this be from the switch of oil types? any recomendations?

thank alot!

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Oil consumption will vary just depending on throttle positions, I noticed last week that I didn't use much at all IMO. I had only used 1 qt to 10 or 11 gallons of gas.

M

mod03rmk800

Nov 26, 2007
missoula
I bought my dragon used and it had a red oil that burned with a sweet smell in it. First ride out burned just over 1/2 tank of fuel and over 3/4 of that oil. Was kinda concerned with consumption and topped off with amsoil intercepter. Put a bunch of 4oz marks on the tank and watched it for a couple rides. Seems to have settled out to burn @1 quart to just under 10 gals gas. That is about half of the oil tank from the top. Seems that the other oil might have been thinner and pumped through at a different rate.

T

ttyR2

Nov 26, 2007
If you measure exactly how much oil you use to top off, and measure how much fuel you put in the tank after riding to top off, you can use simple math to figure out the fuel/oil ratio you're using. I have to do the same thing after getting the oil pump calibration messed up on my sled. The dealer is putting it right but I'll check it the first ride out. The sled is broken in and using the VES II oil so oil usage should be consistent.

H
Dec 7, 2008
Omaha
What ratio should the new 700's be at? I'm guessing 40:1 (1 quart to 10 gallons) would be about right for most 2 strokes. I would think the CFI's could get by on less since it's not mixed with as much gas in the crank.

I'm going to keep a little better track of mine this year. I think mine is burning more oil than needed, I didn't pay much attention last year until the end of the year. It seams like I estimated that I was running about 30:1 or 35:1.

I'm running the expensive Polaris VES Gold oil because I chickened out.

T

ttyR2

Nov 26, 2007
With current synthetics, modern 2 strokes can be run leaner on the oil. I've heard people toss around 50/60:1 ratios but I have no first-hand experience.

Premium Features