• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help Needed

Jan 2, 2013
I have a 1999 700 SKS with a fresh rebuild (crank, 1 cylinder, 1 piston, gaskets) I broke it in nice and easy, always moving the throttle up and down. The sled ran great for about 60 miles, and then developed a problem. First was the clutch stuck, no help needed there, then its idle decided to mess up. it's idle is now going from engagement (4000) down to about 2500, and back up again, over and over. I have not ridden it since this, about 2 weekends ago. It was started again today, and did the same thing, but i just shut it off. The oil pump has been turned up as well. The mechanic has done work for us before, and we've had no problems with him. Another symptom is that the sled has no power under 6000 rpm. It can barely rev up, then when it hits 6000, it takes off like it should. Can you guys and gals give a kid a hand? Thanks.

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
Matybe check the carbs and intake boots for leaks, if it's surging it could be sucking air from somewhere. Did you change jets? it could surge also if it's to lean. Carb cables? If it's fresh and you have good compression I have a good look at the carbs and cables.

Z
Jan 19, 2008
Wrangell, AK
Matybe check the carbs and intake boots for leaks, if it's surging it could be sucking air from somewhere. Did you change jets? it could surge also if it's to lean. Carb cables? If it's fresh and you have good compression I have a good look at the carbs and cables.

X2

Sounds to me like an air leak as well

vwsprite

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2008
mazama, wa
also check the reeds, wouldn't affect the idle like that, but the no power till 6000 sounds like a reed

Premium Features