• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TEAM Tied Clutch Setup Information

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
The helix angles that Mark (Team Industries) listed are not currently available. They are going into production soon.

White Rad

Premium Member
Nov 16, 2009
WA to B.C.
Did you use the shim for the TSS-04 or TSS-98 Clutch? I don't see one for the Tied?

I was told The TSS-04 should work for the team. I actually made my own by machining down a shim i had from something else. A .060 thickness is what i tried so it makes mine like a 71/57 0.40 with 8-10lbs more spring rate.

White Rad

Premium Member
Nov 16, 2009
WA to B.C.
I agree that this is what is going on. So is it better to take the float away and lose the rattle, or just ignore the rattle? Is the rattle doing any damage in the long term?

This is a good ? Now if you take the float away you will be doing several things....the rattle on the splines goes away and so does any wobble in the float plug and inner bushing because its hard mounted to the TCL bearing like the stock secondary. If you have your alignment spot on this should be fine! However team doesnt have their alignment bar yet and my stock and team clutches were not the same so I had to shim appropriately to get the team clutch at the correct offset (well correct according to the cat bar anyways!). With all the movement going on in the TCL and jackshaft I really do think the float does a lot for this sled though. Here is a head scratcher for ya; with the out of parallel that the clutches experience due to all the motor/jackshaft movement the "parallelism float" in the float plug may be working in our favor??

Regarding alignment has anybody else tried pulling all the shims behind the secondary (note that the inner most one is not a shim it a retaining ring for the bearing dont remove it), giving the float plug a generous amount of room (say 1/4in) and running their sled on the stand to see where the clutch wants to naturally float to and align itself in a happy place? Its hard becuase you will see how much the clutch vibrates around on the splines...but when i did this my secondary always floated all the way in against the jackshaft?

Geo I just checked and my rollers are wasted flat spotted and there is tons of "dust" all over the helix behind the roller pin!

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
I had to do a little filing to get my rollers to last 500 mile. Not right. have a tss04 with 8000miles in the shed and it looks better. For some reason even the Team is having problems backshifting and had to clutch around it.
It can't be harmonics, 'cause the stock and Team are so much different in weight.

I believe the Team wobble has saved my belts.

I was hoping for more from your testing Team (if your listening). Not expecting, just hoping. So I'll just ask openly. Did you guys have a backshift issue during your testing on the PC 800?
Something you said " rip on the flats" made me go Hmm.

New "made in Japan" jackshaft bearing for me next week.

cpa

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2001
Utah
I finally got my team tied on Friday and put it on for the ride on sat. I was hoping for big things. I honestly can say unless my belt life is better I completely wasted my money. The backshift is terrible. The backshift with stock secondary is much, much better. The set up team suggested for me was red/black 140/240 spring with the 71/55 & 57 helix. I ride 7500-9500 feet 800 162. Started out with the helix on the 55 side and liked the upshift but would lose 4-600 RPMs going in and out of a track. Switched to the 57 half way through the day and it didn't help the backshift at all and made the upshift pathetic also. The rattle is unbelievable also. I didnt think it would be that big of a deal but it sounds bad and can't be doing any good rattling around that much. Any suggestions on improving backshift?

Last edited:
I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
At that alt i found the same thing but as per the post from team the new helix will fix that. I also feel very strongly that the sled needs to be geared down. Especially at that alr.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
Put the Black/Purple spring in. Also, you must take out at least 3 grams of weight compared to the stock secondary.

Mine backshifts faster then stock and upshifts way way faster.

I have the 71/55 .46 with the black purple in my 153. I am running 76.2 gr in my MDS weights with Polaris Black/Green spring(120/340). Same altitude as you.

Also running the 20 tooth top gear.

Very happy with how it runs. Big improvement over stock. 300 miles on a belt with no issues.

TEAM Industries

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Detroit Lakes, MN, Island Park, ID
The 20 tooth gear was definitely the big part of the recipe. The updated helix with the .36 also made a big difference on consistent RPM's. The 71-55.36/71-57.36 was definitely better in every condition we tested in. I tried straight cuts and many different progressives while we were out there along with a lot of different spring combos. I think the 163 length probably will have to run the red pink with this set up.(our 800 was a 153)

We still have the stock belt so far on our 800.Belt temps varied on different snow conditions but always could stop and remove the belt without using a glove and getting burned.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Thanks for the update.

Did you ever feel that engine management was an issue with the consistency?

cpa

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2001
Utah
Thanks for all the info. Just got an email from Team also regarding my problems and they are more then stepping up. It is so nice to do business with a stand up company that stands behind there product. Thanks for the help Team!!

Nov 29, 2007
wasifulus alaska
Speaking of getting stuck in a spot with the Tied, has anyone looked at their helix rollers?

Do you have deep chatter marks on the inside half? I did. Just wondering if anyone else has seen the same.

If your out there TEAM, did you see the same testing the PC?

yes chatter marks on mine with 20 miles.lotsn of extra noise but very cool temps.sooo happy.2 tanks of gas on sunday,blisters on both hands:face-icon-small-ton

Nov 29, 2007
wasifulus alaska
This is a good ? Now if you take the float away you will be doing several things....the rattle on the splines goes away and so does any wobble in the float plug and inner bushing because its hard mounted to the TCL bearing like the stock secondary. If you have your alignment spot on this should be fine! However team doesnt have their alignment bar yet and my stock and team clutches were not the same so I had to shim appropriately to get the team clutch at the correct offset (well correct according to the cat bar anyways!). With all the movement going on in the TCL and jackshaft I really do think the float does a lot for this sled though. Here is a head scratcher for ya; with the out of parallel that the clutches experience due to all the motor/jackshaft movement the "parallelism float" in the float plug may be working in our favor??

Regarding alignment has anybody else tried pulling all the shims behind the secondary (note that the inner most one is not a shim it a retaining ring for the bearing dont remove it), giving the float plug a generous amount of room (say 1/4in) and running their sled on the stand to see where the clutch wants to naturally float to and align itself in a happy place? Its hard becuase you will see how much the clutch vibrates around on the splines...but when i did this my secondary always floated all the way in against the jackshaft?

Geo I just checked and my rollers are wasted flat spotted and there is tons of "dust" all over the helix behind the roller pin!

same here.all the way against the bearing.about 80thou on the float.

NoSoup4U

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2009
Northern Utah
The 20 tooth gear was definitely the big part of the recipe. The updated helix with the .36 also made a big difference on consistent RPM's. The 71-55.36/71-57.36 was definitely better in every condition we tested in. I tried straight cuts and many different progressives while we were out there along with a lot of different spring combos. I think the 163 length probably will have to run the red pink with this set up.(our 800 was a 153)

We still have the stock belt so far on our 800.Belt temps varied on different snow conditions but always could stop and remove the belt without using a glove and getting burned.

What about the rattle issue? Is this normal and if so, will it cause any damage over the long term?

Thanks

J

jkjasperson

Jan 28, 2008
Rock Springs, Wyoming
I know TEAM is manufacturing the new helix now but if anyone has h 71-57 .46 they want to sell hit me up. I can't stand looking at this shiny new clutch setting on the bench, it's going to drive me to insanity.

thumper450

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
Bozeman, Mt
Anyone else running these yet? I have seen great results so far! Little more
tuning to do at 8-10000' in the deep stuff. :thumb:

snosumitcsr

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Trout Lake Washington
yea i got one, still working on calibration also, it sure is a noisy clutch. hope my new helix shows up soon 71/57.36... don't seem any better than the stock setup, but still working on it.

Rod

Premium Features